Coral Vue Hydros

Stoops718's 12 Gallon Fluval Edge

Stoops718

This is my official tank post. Here is my setup in detail.

Tank:

Fluval Edge 12gallon

Filter & flow:

Fluval stock filter I took out the media basket, turned the foam on its side to make room for the heater and just threw the carbon bag right on top. (Put the media basket back and was still able to fit my new heater in.) Got the InTank Media Basket. Using Filter FLoss, Chemi-Pure Elite, and Purigen. I had to leave the top of the filter off to fit the heater but now it actually runs quieter, the vibrations were making this annoying buzzing noise.

6lbs of Fiji live rock (It may seem like very little for 12gallons, but they are decent sized and are very porous. (If I need to add more rock I will just use some dry rock)

3lbs of cured live rock with coralline

10lbs of bagged "live sand" (slopes from about 0.5"-1.5")

MP10Wes

Lighting:

Stock (42 LED bulbs total) Day mode 7600k. 3 blue LEDs moonlight.

2x EcoPico LED Strip, 12K White/453nm Blue

1x EcoPico LED Strip, 453nm Blue

Heater

tetra fixed temp 50 Watt

Deep Blue Mini Heat Stix 60 Watt

Livestock

6x 5x Nerite Snails

4x 3x Red Hermit Crabs (I bought six but when I put them in the tank I noticed one shell was empty and the other one ended up being my *see below*)

1x Cerith Snail (Noticed it was not my fifth hermit crab when it started to climb up the tank)

3x Nassarius Snails

1x Emerald Crab

1x Yellow Watchmen Goby RIP Susie

Neon Green Zoas Colony

Green Fluorescent Mushrooms Colony

Dragon Eye Zoas Frag

Pink Zoas Frag

Green Striped Mushroom Frag

Hairy Mushroom Frag

Green Star Polyps Frag

Bullseye Mushroom Frag

Red Mushroom Frag

Purple Flower Polyp Frag

2x P. Clowns

1x Purple Firefish

1x Sixline Wrasse

Planned corals:

Definitely going to just start out with softies, mushrooms and polyps. Once I upgrade my lighting and get more experience I'll try some LPS or SPS. I plan on going really slow with this no matter how tempted I am to just throw stuff in.

Upgrades I plan on getting are an MP10, some sort of HOB Protein Skimmer/Filter like the Rio Nano Skimmer to swap out the AC20, and 2x EcoPico LED Strip, 12K White/453nm Blue and 1x EcoPico LED Strip, 453nm Blue. Eventually I will either spring for the JBJ Unibody, AI Nano Sol or the Wingo Savior. Or maybe just some good ol' fashioned DIY.

Please feel free to give me all your opinions and suggestions. Thanks.

FTS from week 1

post-66032-1325697585_thumb.jpg

Close up of rock scape

post-66032-1325624282_thumb.jpg

FTS 1/4/2012

post-66032-1326299977_thumb.jpg

FTS 1/10/2012

post-66032-1326216219_thumb.jpg

Got 3lbs of cure live rock from my LFS that is coated in coralline and re-did my rock scape lastnight. So all together there is 9lbs of live rock.

Photos with Ecoxotic Ecopico LED Strips

FTS 1/11/2012

post-66032-1326300020_thumb.jpg

post-66032-1326300105_thumb.jpg

FTS 1/20/2012

post-66032-1327345642_thumb.jpg

FTS 1/24/2012

post-66032-1328120004_thumb.jpg

UPDATE!!!

FTS 2/1/2012

post-66032-1328207626_thumb.jpg

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ordered my EcoPico LED Strips yesterday. Do you guys think it will be enough with the stock LED lights or should I still look into modding the stock lights. I also ordered the Jebo 178 HOB Skimmer/Filter. Anyone have any experience with it?

That's a purdy tank especially with the LEDs! Have you thought of building your rock sculpture a little higher?

Yea, I was thinking the same thing. Any suggestion on avoiding another cycle. I was thinking about using dry rock to build it up. I also thought about keeping it as is to leave more room for fish to swim around. Do you think I need to add more rock for filtration purposes?

You could take your time and build a really cool structure out of nice dry rock. Add that in and keep your current live rock until the new sculpture gets seeded.

That tank is screaming for a cool sculpture. Do it! It's not hard at all.

You could take your time and build a really cool structure out of nice dry rock. Add that in and keep your current live rock until the new sculpture gets seeded.

That tank is screaming for a cool sculpture. Do it! It's not hard at all.

The hard part is that the opening for the Edge is so small. I would have to sculpt in the tank. I think I will add some nice sized dry rock and mess around with the scape. I was planning on leaving it and getting a pair of clowns soon, but your rock scape inspired me. I guess now would be the perfect time. I have minimal coralline growth on the live rock as it is.

Great start! This new larger edge is verry interesting.

In reference to the lighting questions, it seems you will be a bit of a gunniea pig. Verry few people have the new led model of the edge so it is hard to tell how it will do with corals. If i were to guess, i would say it is probably going to be a bit weak. Here is one of the best DIY light mods out there for the edge in case the sock led's prove to be insufficent. http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=288026&hl=

MatthewStarr

I have the same tank but the 6 gallon in white. Love the edge tanks. But the opening is rather small which doesn't help in scaping the rock. Your best bet to avoid anything bad is to just pile up big pieces of rock with ecotech glue. I rescaped my edge and encountered a mini cycle which sucked. So what I did is I purchased big pieces of rock from my LFS that had wonderful zoanthid colonies etc. and scaped it that way. Just be careful how you pile the rocks because from my experience if you pile straight up it blocks a lot of light due to the location of the opening and were the LEDs are. Pile them in an angle so the light hits most of the rockwork specially towards the bottom.

Sorry I forgot about the Edge top hadicap! But you could do it modular. I don't think I've seen anyone do that on an edge.

Another idea would be to build some tower type structures so they would fit in there better.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement/advise.

Gonna see if I can find some tall tower like pieces of dry rock at my LFS this weekend.

I have the same tank but the 6 gallon in white. Love the edge tanks. But the opening is rather small which doesn't help in scaping the rock. Your best bet to avoid anything bad is to just pile up big pieces of rock with ecotech glue. I rescaped my edge and encountered a mini cycle which sucked. So what I did is I purchased big pieces of rock from my LFS that had wonderful zoanthid colonies etc. and scaped it that way. Just be careful how you pile the rocks because from my experience if you pile straight up it blocks a lot of light due to the location of the opening and were the LEDs are. Pile them in an angle so the light hits most of the rockwork specially towards the bottom.

Are you using a skimmer in your Edge? If so, which one?

I also discovered this while re-scaping.

post-66032-1326217547_thumb.jpg

I have no idea what this is and I have searched throughout google to no avail. I'm not even sure of how to describe it. I thought maybe it was a polyp but my search results ruled it out. Hopefully the picture is clear enough. It has a ring-like shape that is white in color with a transparent center and it has "hairs" or "tentacles" sticking out from it. I haven't seen it move at all. It might be dead.

I also discovered this while re-scaping.

post-66032-1326217547_thumb.jpg

I have no idea what this is and I have searched throughout google to no avail. I'm not even sure of how to describe it. I thought maybe it was a polyp but my search results ruled it out. Hopefully the picture is clear enough. It has a ring-like shape that is white in color with a transparent center and it has "hairs" or "tentacles" sticking out from it. I haven't seen it move at all. It might be dead.

Forget to mention that it's flat.

Forget to mention that it's flat.

Wet Web Media Crew said it might be Aiptasia Anemone. I looked at pics on the web and it doesn't look like it yet but has some characteristics. How do I get rid of it if it is?

I added and updated FTS with the Ecoxotic LED strips. Plus I found this on my live rock this morning. I thought it was a sponge it was moving. Wet Web Media said it might some kind of sponge too.

post-66032-1326311442_thumb.jpg

Gonna order some frags soon!

Love the tank; I was very tempted to pick one of these up for my next tank. How is it sticking your hand in and out; can you reach the bottom easily?

Hard to tell what the first pic is but IMO it doesn't look like Aiptasia; if it is get some Aiptasia X and zap it they spread quite easily and are a nuisance to other corals.

Love the tank; I was very tempted to pick one of these up for my next tank. How is it sticking your hand in and out; can you reach the bottom easily?

Hard to tell what the first pic is but IMO it doesn't look like Aiptasia; if it is get some Aiptasia X and zap it they spread quite easily and are a nuisance to other corals.

Thanks! It's a bit of a PITA working with, but as long as you're having fun nothing is work. Right? I take out about 2 inches worth of water to avoid overflow but I can reach down really easily. Now the real problem was when my Nimble Nano separated from the magnet and would fall down, but I've came up with a solution on that one. I taped 2 wooden BBQ skewers together and just push the magnet close enough to the glass to attach to the handle. As far as the "Aiptasia", since I have no corals yet I will remain patient and see what comes of it. If I see a spread I'll get a couple of peppermint shrimp to take care of it.

Quick question. In your honest opinion, besides LFS's. What is the best website to buy corals online? It seems liked it's mixed here on the forums.

I love that tank!

You do not seem to have enough rock for filtration. Keep in mind that you need 1lb per gallons so 12lbs.

You definitely need to make your aquascpae more vertical to take advantage of the height you have.

Good luck!

I ordered my EcoPico LED Strips yesterday. Do you guys think it will be enough with the stock LED lights or should I still look into modding the stock lights. I also ordered the Jebo 178 HOB Skimmer/Filter. Anyone have any experience with it?

I have the old version so I just replace the stock bulb to a brighter bulb and added Ecopico strips, my LPS and softy are doing great, but mine is 6gal one so the light is much closer. maybe you would like to do a PAR reading to see if it is giving out enough light for your future coral?

i wonder is the glass any thicker on the 12g tanks? either way i think it may be hard to get a decent piece of live rock in, you will just have to play the put you here.. put you there.. stacky this up or go with less live rock :) Water changes prove to be my biggest pita with her edge

I love that tank!

You do not seem to have enough rock for filtration. Keep in mind that you need 1lb per gallons so 12lbs.

You definitely need to make your aquascpae more vertical to take advantage of the height you have.

Good luck!

Thanks! I know the ratio of live rock to water volume is in debate, but the consensus says that its more about the surface area of the rock than the weight, due to the fact the all rock are not equal. Some are more porous than others making them lighter in weight. However, I do want to add more height. I am either going to re-scape to make it taller or buy some dry rock.

I have the old version so I just replace the stock bulb to a brighter bulb and added Ecopico strips, my LPS and softy are doing great, but mine is 6gal one so the light is much closer. maybe you would like to do a PAR reading to see if it is giving out enough light for your future coral?

Sorry for the n00b question, but how do you do a PAR reading?

i wonder is the glass any thicker on the 12g tanks? either way i think it may be hard to get a decent piece of live rock in, you will just have to play the put you here.. put you there.. stacky this up or go with less live rock :) Water changes prove to be my biggest pita with her edge

I think the specs for the 12 gallon are exactly the same as the old 6 gallon, aside from the new LED lights and that is 2x as tall. I haven't done a major water change yet but I found this pump siphon at Lowe's that I hope will make it easier. http://www.lowes.com/pd_324658-442-490-850...&facetInfo=

Sorry for the n00b question, but how do you do a PAR reading?

You will need a PAR meter, but don't buy it (as it is expensive), just rent it or ask if anyone has it.

Light Intensity fall off ratio is 1 / distance^2

I have seen member using 3x of the ecopico white/blue, provide great result for his softy and LPS, but his is also a 6gal, but your 12gal the distance is like double of ours, so you may need much more than that... but that's my guess only. (and if you are doing going for softy and you are going to feed your LPS, I don't think it matter much)

You will need a PAR meter, but don't buy it (as it is expensive), just rent it or ask if anyone has it.

Light Intensity fall off ratio is 1 / distance^2

I have seen member using 3x of the ecopico white/blue, provide great result for his softy and LPS, but his is also a 6gal, but your 12gal the distance is like double of ours, so you may need much more than that... but that's my guess only. (and if you are doing going for softy and you are going to feed your LPS, I don't think it matter much)

Thanks for the advice. Can't wait to get some corals in. Gonna start with some shrooms and zoos. Then move onto some rics. Then, finally some fish. From what I read everywhere patience is the key.

it would be nice to pile up the rock but i think it's not necessary. the top empty space, i look at it as extra water to have a stabler aquarium compare to the 6 gallon

it would be nice to pile up the rock but i think it's not necessary. the top empty space, i look at it as extra water to have a stabler aquarium compare to the 6 gallon

I was thinking the same thing. Thanks for the input.

The design of the aquarium looks pretty neat. Despite the trouble with getting live rock into the tank i've decided to get one myself. If you discover any great ideas, when it comes to scaping, please post it, so i can get some inspiration :P

Archived