Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

From 46 bow to 25g Cube

andrewguilfoy

andrewguilfoy

Yeah definitely. The more rock the better \m/. Well see how far I go when I actually seed it.. I might finish off with about 50lbs in this tank total..

edit: maybe MAYBE 60..

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah definitely. The more rock the better \m/. Well see how far I go when I actually seed it.. I might finish off with about 50lbs in this tank total..

edit: maybe MAYBE 60..

I think I have 50-60 in mine. And 40lbs LS

andrewguilfoy
I know some that have had good luck replacing the center brace with a peice of clear acrylic.

food for thought..

Eh it's okay It doesn't bother me that much, but good suggestion. If light issues were really a bother I might think about it..

I think I have 50-60 in mine. And 40lbs LS

Awesome. I might end up with about 30 lbs of sand. Maybe 25 or so. I had a bad experience with too much sand.. Well, maybe it was just that stuff I bought from Petco. It was stuff from Natures Ocean. Since then I just use dry sand to start..

Just a small update. Waiting on my 1 1/2 inch diamond bit, then I'm drilling again. After Christmas I'll probably make another big purchase of my pump, plumbing, and extras. Looking to only spend about $150-200 then its time for water tests :)

Fun! I plan on spending 50-60 on my stuff, I am doing a DIY SUMP/Refugium. I have a 20 long sitting on the back porch waiting for the baffles to be put in.

Then it's just PVC and I'm good.

Pics of step by step is always awesome!

andrewguilfoy

Oh there will be pictures. I try to take as many I can with my phone. All of my pictures will probably be from my phone lol. Building your own sump is so much more efficient I envy your patience man. I took a browse through your thread. Tank is looking good, I love your clowns. I used to have regular orange on white clowns, they were from petco. I had them for about a year until I sold them. They were so so small when I bought them. But I'm slightly thinking about a black pair this time..

Truth be told i'm waiting for christmas because my Fiance bought the sump part of the tank for me for christmas. :D I know I know no surprise, but she won't let me touch it. It's Killing me :angry:

Only a few more days!

I have the tank, I just need the 5 pieces of glass cut to size and the silicone and PVC and I am good to go. I think I will be doing it as my Husband get's frustrated and that's glass, and I want it pretty, I am thinking display on the Refugium part, I love pretty macros.

andrewguilfoy

Haha I called you man, then you said husband lol Oh well.. I call everyone man. Angry husbands and glass = no good :P And definitely bust out the painters tape. Thats what I did to re-silicone this tank. Oh man reminds me of my dad, yuck. He has absolutely no patience. He got a 55 for a FW in his office, it was used so he re-siliconed the edges, but like, he just smashed silicone in the edges and smeared it all the way up. Haha the edges were so gross..

Haha I called you man, then you said husband lol Oh well.. I call everyone man. Angry husbands and glass = no good :P And definitely bust out the painters tape. Thats what I did to re-silicone this tank. Oh man reminds me of my dad, yuck. He has absolutely no patience. He got a 55 for a FW in his office, it was used so he re-siliconed the edges, but like, he just smashed silicone in the edges and smeared it all the way up. Haha the edges were so gross..

No worries I am used to Dude, man etc! Yeah that's what my dad would do if he were doing this. Have tape, just need glass and silicone. Hopefully next week.

andrewguilfoy

Just some Google sketch up haha. I was very bored. I'm working on the plumbling now.. Marine depot was out of stock on 3/4 thread x thread bulkheads :angry: oh well.. I got a gift certificate there this christmas 50 bucks! :) As far as holes go this tank is finished drilling. Time to plumb. When I figure out how to draw the PVC pipes right ill post plumbing.. and pictures to follow.. :D

6585793939_6a31d3cae6_z.jpg

6585793885_8925438c71_z.jpg

6585793795_e2138e79b9_z.jpg

andrewguilfoy
Happy New Year!

Thank you! Happy New Year to you too!! and everyone else that is reading my boring thread!! :P

I went to Val's (my fiance) parents house for New Years. I call it the dachshund farm. Started out with Val's dog Roxy. Val moved out, roxy stayed at the house, and then there was Buster, While buster was still alive (he broke his back :( had to put him down) there has been at least four litters of 4 dogs in the past four years (all sold but one). One litter we took one, our Little Wiley. There was three running around the other day including mine :P but Roxy the older, AND Val's brother Zach got one about 7 months ago. In the past four years it has truly been a dachshund overload in that house haha.

Small update. Ordered stuffzz this week most of it should be here wednesday, pump, sand :D, more plumbing, couple RO/DI maintenance things. Gonna finish this ##### up. Now time to configure and mess around with getting my reef keeper lite squared away in the stand. I have one PC4, I'm thinking about another strip.. I have other timers and what not, but I kind of want everything on my RKL, so much easier yaannno.

Nothing really.. CF bulbs aren't bad, it still is a lot of wattage. When you're talking to other people though, no one really seems stoked to get a CF fixture I guess. So many color blending options with T5. I could try.. Why are you interested? ;)

Don't underestimate the power of CF. You can still grow lots of corals. Another idea is to use the CF light for about a year. During this time save up for LED lighting. Then gut the fixture and put the leds in it.

Great start

• 2 weeks later...
andrewguilfoy

Okay guys, BACK. How's my plumbing look? I know it's clamp city, but I used flexible tube, and barb fittings for the returns. The tubes look far out from the back but once I push it to the wall they will squeeze against the tank.. The blue stuff on the bulk heads is just a little PVC glue.. I don't know why I glued them and only them, but once it set, it was time to forget lol

6691659969_f432d50eb2_z.jpg

6691659769_ac25c155f0_z.jpg

You didn't install any kind of ball valve on the return so you can control the output from the pump? Just in case the pump is more powerful then the overflow.

I like it I would have glued the fittings on there too, just now it's forever, so you can't change it.

andrewguilfoy

well.. I had some pipe from marine depot. It was kind of lose to the matched barbs.. so I went to Ace hardware.. I got the clear stuff, and holy jesus. It is tight on there. It was labeled 3/4" ID. It's definately 3/4" just a tight 3/4". Since my pump isn't here yet, should be monday for water testing :). I may just order a check valve on the Pump.. Other than that, the Maxi Utility I ordered is adjustable down to like 400 gph.. plus the headloss. So if anything I can turn it way down.

The only thing that is stuck with glue is those bulkheads on the barb with a clamp. It's really the carpet end of things I don't want it to leak. Other than that, if I had a drip here or there internally I would be okay since it would just drip into the sump. While I still don't want any drips, I think I should be good with how tight this pipe is..

One good thing I learned is for a while I thought I was restricted to marine depot/online ordering for some of this stuff, but ace had like everything I needed which is good to know just in case. ;)

Yeah I noticed that with MD as well. I am going to Home Depot this weekend for the 2x4s for the stand, I may price out the plumbing while I am there.

Damn man I want to see this tank Wet!

The way this is plumbed will probably make it louder than you had hoped. Try at least a durso pipe on the back instead of a closed pipe to the sump.

andrewguilfoy
Yeah I noticed that with MD as well. I am going to Home Depot this weekend for the 2x4s for the stand, I may price out the plumbing while I am there.

Damn man I want to see this tank Wet!

Oh I know. I've been slowly pacing my bank account as I get closer and closer lol. But a good 95% of it is bought. The other 5%??? ehh. I'm doing a DIY LED to my light fixture too. I am going to post pics of the whole thing while this tank cycles.. Should be wet with in the week though. I am hoping. I'm getting really antsy!!

The way this is plumbed will probably make it louder than you had hoped. Try at least a durso pipe on the back instead of a closed pipe to the sump.

is that just for the over flow? It's a glass-holes kit. The way the box runs, and they say it should be quiet the way they make them. I'll run into that wall when I hit it :P

Archived