Pod Your Reef

GTi's 29 Gallon BioCube

GTi

The LED conversion is up and running with a few odds and ends to complete (see build thread link in signature if interested). Tank inhabitants seems happy but glass seems to need cleaning more often and I noticed some fuzz in a few places on the rocks.

The tank looks similar to how it did under the stock BioCube lighting with the addition of a blue stunner strip. It photographs differently - it is less purple than in the photo.

Corals have been rearranged and removed from plugs and attached to live rock.

MP10 should arrive Monday!

Latest FTS is in the first post.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Added an MP10es a couple of days ago and removed the Hydor Flo and the Korallia Nano 425. I have it on the right side of the tank just above half way between the surface and sand and 2/3 of the way from the back wall to clear the rockwork. It is currently set to reefcrest 70% and at night 25%.

I still occasionally break the surface and pull a vortex of air so I may need to move it a bit lower.

• 4 weeks later...

Since adding the LEDs I have had to clean the glass daily and have had some cyano and maybe dinos on the rock and sand. I have ordered some supplemental clean up crew from reefcleaners and they should arrive tomorrow. I have also dialled the lighting intensity down and also reduced the lighting period.

My order from Cultivated Reef arrived today: Scoly, echinata, acan, favia, ricordia and chalice. Once they are acclimatised and looking nice I will post photos and more details.

Finally set up my used Tunze skimmer in chamber 2 next to the media rack. I saw bubbles in the media baskets collection cup within a few minutes and after a few hours there were several drops of coloured skimmate in the cup.

I think the new scoly ate a snail because there is a big bump in its middle.

I'm getting a lot of brown strings on the rock and sand (dinoflgellates?). Once I get on top of these I'll post a new FTS and the new corals.

Mk6 - I'm not as young as I used to be!

I get as many car comments as I do tank comments. That's cool, though.

mk6... even better :

there's some pics of my mk1 im working on in my thread. (through my sig)

I was having trouble with cyano and/or dinos. My nitrates were zero, phosphates very low, running purigen and gfo, frequent water changes. I saw something similar in one of the tanks at the LFS and asked. Mike suggested it often occurs when there is low pH. My pH has always been around 8.0 so it could definitely stand to increase by a couple of tenths. After raising the pH to about 8.2 most of it has gone! A few small patches remained and I vacuumed them out with some of the sand with yesterday's water change. Let's see what happens by the weekend. I have also notice a couple of tiny patches of gha or similar but they are right next to some zoas. I'll just keep an eye on it for now.

I was out of town for a couple of days and the snails thought they would have some fun and push the frogspawn in to the new acan :eek: I separated them and the froggie is very retracted and 3 of the acan heads were dead and the flesh detached from the skeleton when I squirted it with the baster. Just glad a few of the acans were untouched so there's a chance they will recover.

Well, the acans didn't make it. It looked like a few heads were untouched but they all gradually dissolved away leaving just the skeleton.

Took a trip to the LFS and picked up a small frag of strawberry fields montipora. I also got them to wet-saw off part of the scoly. It seems it had been damaged before I bought it and the small damaged part separated and grew its own mouth. The main part of the scoly wouldn't grow close to the small piece and so wouldn't regain its round form. The LFS cut off part of the skeleton with the tiny scoly on it so now I have 2. I'll try regular feedings and see if they progress. The larger part has already eaten 6 or so unfortunate snails from my cuc. Mainly dwarf ceriths.

Main scoly - none of the flesh was damaged during the cut. It will be interesting to see if the skeleton begins to form and the flesh grow out in to a more circular shape.
20120304_105229_zps79b8d817.jpg

The tiny scoly. The cut area and shape are a bit ugly but we'll see how the little guy does now he has space to grow!
20120304_105159_zps5acb5307.jpg

i have the biocube 29 also ....where didu get ur lights..and how much if u wanna say

Rapid LED. I was looking at the kit but their Thanksgiving sale excluded kits and when I priced it out, it was a little cheaper to buy individual components. I have a build thread (see link in my signature line). Let me know if you want any more info. I'm very pleased with the outcome. Tank inhabitants seems happy, less heat, less noise, better colour and no need to change bulbs.

randythefishdude

o seems like most people get there leds there ...my lazy bum self ,might just save up for some of the new panorama pros :)

o seems like most people get there leds there ...my lazy bum self ,might just save up for some of the new panorama pros :)

Panorama Pros are definitely the easiest retrofit. Check out Metrokats BC14 thread for info.

Builder Anthony

i think ive seen that grey and orange mini scoly and it has a reallllly bright orange.it was 90 bucks though the specimens were real nice.hopefuly they eat for you.

2011_12_09_0221.jpg

Duncans

Where did you get this one from? I have one in my tank and every ID I have tried to get by members was that it was an aiptasia or a majano anemone?! :[

i think ive seen that grey and orange mini scoly and it has a reallllly bright orange.it was 90 bucks though the specimens were real nice.hopefuly they eat for you.

Cool! I think the mini one became a frag when the large one was injured. There are other colours but they don't show up well in the photo (green and yellow). I hope they both recover well. There was an article online somewhere about fragging scolys - apparently you just zip rigt through the middle with a wet saw!

2011_12_09_0221.jpg

Duncans

Where did you get this one from? I have one in my tank and every ID I have tried to get by members was that it was an aiptasia or a majano anemone?! :[

This was from Phil Your Aquarium. They are fun and fast growing LPS.

A couple of times since getting my clean up crew we have seen the YWG come out of her cave, pick up a Dwarf Cerith snail sideways in her mouth and then take it back in to her cave. The first time I saw this, I thought it coincidence. Now I think she must be eating them. Now, their shells are quite hard and very pointy. Do you think she is eating them whole or somehow crunching them up or removing them from their shells? Any ideas, please post!

There are so many Dwarf Ceriths that everything has been eating them - the Scoly, the Candy Canes, and the anemone.

My Alien Eye Chalice was about 1/3 of the way down from the top of the tank. There has been some definite bleaching so I have lowered it on the rockwork to a little under 1/2 up from the sand. I hope it regains colour because I don't want to have it too low. I also lost a tiny frag of Pocillopora somewhere in the tank - hopefully it'll show up soon.

I fragged a few Devil's Armor Palys that were not opening because of their proximity to the Duncans. They are on a plug and will get traded in once they fill out.

Archived