SaltCritters.com

looking for ANY frags please help and read my story as it's for my dad =(

tinctorus

Anyone in the Florida area wanting to get ri of some green star polyps or ANY other corals that are overgrowing there tank??

I am NOT looking for huge pieces but I am ttrying to get my dads formerly beautiful reef tank looking good again, He came down with stage 4 lung cancer and his favorite thing to do was take his recliner and sit in front of the reef tank for hours at a time always being amazed at the corals and other small critters that he would find in the tank during the day and sometimes at night with a flashlight when he couldnt sleep

Here is the deal though, I dont have any money since I had to leave my job to become my dads full time caregiver and his tank kinda went to hell when he came down with cancer so I moved back home and quit my job in order to help him out, unfortunately by the time I moved back in his tank had crashed and all of the corals had died, suprisingly ALL of his favorite fish made it through it without a hitch but I am trying to get his tank looking nice again

I am NOT looking for large frags just anything that anyone may have extras of, his favorite corals were things like xenia,green star polyps,zoas of all sorts and other hardy soft corals and things of that nature...He never really got into the SPS corals cu he does like LPS corals HOWEVER I dont expect anyone to part with any LPS corals unles its like 1 head of a torch or similar things like this

PLEASE I am not starting this thread as a pity thread but I can assure you that once the corals start to grow I will pay it forward and give way free frags to other needing reefers and if I happen to get some nicer corals I will make sure I rake vert good care of anyone that was wiling to help me out, I dont know how much longer he may have left since it is stage 4 lung cancer which as you all know is pretty much a death sentence so I am trying to make whatever time I have left with him and what time he has left enjoyable for him

ANYONE THAT HAS DEALT WITH A FAMILY MEMBER WITH CANCER KNOWS IT CAN BE A VERY TRYING TIME FOR EVERYONE...Hell in case any of you ever get cancer PLEAE GET INSURANCE, I can tell you first hand that chemotherapy is VERY expensive, each treatment costs 22 thousand dollars per treatment and he has had 6 rounds of chemo so far plus he still needs surgery AND radiation treatments

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just went through this recently myself, good luck to you and your family. Cancer sucks.

Thank you for the kind words, It's been really tough on me seeing him go from this strong man who loved being outdoors to this fragile looking man who has lost 50 pounds in 4 months

I went through this very recently with my dad. :( I don't have any corals to share as my tank is very young still, but I just wanted to say sorry for what you and your dad are going through.

Try checking your local forums for people who would easily give away some GSP, xenia, some zoas, etc . I know people on my board fairly regularly give these out to people.

Best of luck to your father and your family

I just hope he pulls through it orthat god forbid he doesnt that I can atleast get his tank looking good again so he can watch it like he used to for hours on end

Where you located? Stay strong I know how it is I lost my father Dec 15th at the young age of 58. Had dinner with him on Dec 14th at 8 pm and he passed at 6 am on the 15th.

Then I get smacked in the face on the 15th that he does not have any life insurance. My mother is not well off and she thought the funeral home would take payment plans lol god love her. So me and my brother have 2 days to pay 11 grand. We made it happen for my father and my grieving mother.

I'm sorry to hear that your family is going through this difficult stage. I have a lot of xenia in my tank and actually have thrown some away but I do not live in FL(I wish I could ship). My prayers are with your family and your dads health.

God Bless

I am in south florida zip code 33322

If you want my address just PM me and I will give you my full address

I RALLY REALLY REALLY APPRECIATE EVERYONES GENEROSITY!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH IT MEANS TO ME AND MY FAMILY, YOU REALLY ARE ALL GREAT PEOPLE!!

I guess it doesnt much matter if I post my full address since by this time with as long as I have been on the web it is probably all over the place

addy is

11061 nw 21st ct

Sunrise, Florida

Phone number is 954-six four seven- two -two-eight-eight

THank you

Mike Grizzard

Also I am the type of person to pay it forward so once the frags take hold and start growing I will give frags to people in need of them or who are short on money but would like a coral, im not a greedy/stingy person just a guy trying to make my dad's time left as enjoyable as possible

What are your tank specs? Lighting tank size etc.

Its a 65 gallon pre drilled with an iwaki md 70 rlt pump for tons of flow and for lighting I am running a 36: current usa 2x150 watt halides with 4 36" t5ho bulbs and 12 led's 6 white and 6 blue, It has a sump for a 125 gallon tank as well on it so the tank is setup right since setting up and installing tanks is all I did for the last 15 years so I paid 300 dollars for ALL of that equipment I just listed since my dad said he wanted his own reef tank since he fell in love with my little red sea max...Actually the tank WAS mine but I gave it to him for fathers day since everyday when I would come hom I would find him sitting in my bedroom staring at the tank and when I would ask how long he had been there he would say oh not long maybe 5 hours LOL

So I moved the tank out to the living room and put a recliner in front of it so he could be comfortable while he enjoyed the tank

I owe everything to that man just like I am sure any son would feel about there own father...And to be honest I know he was always a heavy smoker but you NEVER think that cancer will happen to you or someone in your family...Hell he has lost over 70 lbs inthe last 5 months and now he has to have srgery to have the lower portion of one lung removed as well as 2 ribs removed and also has to have a SMALL section of the other lung removed to remove two tumors that are on that lung

I pray everyday that he is ok and I was never a religious person but I have started going to church 2-3 times a week now just to pray as I dont know what else to do at this point

Also once again I REALLY want to thank everyones sympathy and thoughtfullness in this time of need for someone who you hardly know

Also anyone that does send frags please be expecting thank you cards in the mail as I really do appreciate it liek you will NEVER understand, I figure if I cant make him comfortable I can atleast bring him some joy you know?

If you can cover shipping from california i'd be happy to send a box of frags over to you.

I havn't been in your situation personally but as a nursing student seeing it almost everyday I can surely empathize.

Let me know.

went through a similar circumstance with my dad. Sorry to hear it man... I know what it's like to quit your job for the hospice thing... I'm out of the country right now, but if my tank is still rockin when I get home I'll try to frag some zoos and ship em overnight to ya. I'll hit ya up in like 3 weeks. Good luck man.

Archived