inTank Media Baskets

New LED Lighting Fixture Design

chippwalters

new design looks really cool, but personally I like the 'cobra style' fixture you had in the first sketch up

I really dont like lighting solutions that hover over the entirety of a tank like that

great idea though! any estimate on final cost if these were to go into production?

The 'cobra style' while cool, has some problems with regards to Picos. First off, it's using up all the back space of the tank which is typically already used by either a HOF, or a embedded back area tank filter. Then there's the fact it doesn't have a lot of 'extension' fore and aft, so if it were hanging off a back area tank filter, it probably wouldn't reach over the tank. And finally, unless there's significant tooling in place, the production costs are way WAY too high-- with all the custom molded parts. I knew this when I first sketched it, but I was still interested in getting some feedback.

This latest version is designed for JIT (Just In Time) manufacturing. As such there is little to no tooling costs, but the piece part price is a bit higher. I do plan on producing this enclosure ONLY for Ecoxotic and it will house a single Panorama Pro and Stunner strip. It's designed specifically for Picos. Ecoxotic has already committed to putting it on their website.

The other prototype components have already shipped and I should be able to put together a full working first prototype hopefully this weekend. FWIW, I am also talking to some other LED manufacturers with regard to designing OTHER modular housing, not necessarily for Picos. I'll be sure and keep folks informed if/when the other companies allow me to say anything.

Regarding price: I'm hoping to get this to the under $199 retail price-- maybe lower. It really depends on my tests coming up. The goal is trying to get a reef capable LED light and enclosure which works for all Picos for under $300. IMO, that's a desirable goal. :)

FWIW, I'm also working on an inexpensive basic water temperature control system. It will use existing heaters and fans to manage the lows and highs of daily temp fluctuations-- which is a current problems with trying to maintain Picos. I'm also looking into Arduino systems which are controlled from iPhones or Androids. Any wishes or ideas on what you would like to control and or see from your smartphone (or Mac/PC app)?

And what you would like it priced at? TIA.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
chippwalters

Got all the parts in and have assembled the fixture sans lights. Next job is to paint it and add the Ecoxotic Panorama Pro and Stunners.

Photo%20Oct%2008,%205%2037%2040%20PM.jpeg

Photo%20Oct%2008,%205%2039%2000%20PM.jpeg

as a machinist i am super impressed with those end caps! :bowdown: actually, are the billet machined? or forged/molded? Either way im excited to see what your final design looks like! I just got a sol nano but im addicted to small reefs so this light and also the nano-box light are next on the list...

chippwalters
as a machinist i am super impressed with those end caps! :bowdown: actually, are the billet machined? or forged/molded? Either way im excited to see what your final design looks like! I just got a sol nano but im addicted to small reefs so this light and also the nano-box light are next on the list...

Thanks! The end caps and the snap-on feet are 3D printed. The closeup is made of Alumide (aluminum sintered) and the legs are ABS. The sheet aluminum was laser cut and fit perfectly onto the end caps. Such a snug fit, it turns out the hardware will be a bit of overkill.

The 'cobra style' while cool, has some problems with regards to Picos. First off, it's using up all the back space of the tank which is typically already used by either a HOF, or a embedded back area tank filter. Then there's the fact it doesn't have a lot of 'extension' fore and aft, so if it were hanging off a back area tank filter, it probably wouldn't reach over the tank. And finally, unless there's significant tooling in place, the production costs are way WAY too high-- with all the custom molded parts. I knew this when I first sketched it, but I was still interested in getting some feedback.

If you made the light house moveable on the arm it would have been alright. That way you could have slid it to the left or right side of the fixture away from the power filter.

The prototype you're building looks awesome.

chippwalters

Here it is assembled (not painted) and placed on top of my Pico. I need to do some thermal tests before I paint it. You can see the wires wrapped around the legs. They will be stored in the top when finished.

coverf01.jpg

cover02.jpg

More reasons why I wish my company had a 3d printer. This thing is looking slick. Though personally I like the cobra concept more but definitely agree with costs being higher on that design.

wow looking damn nice!

Thanks! I have some printable decals on order and after I paint it, I will place the decals on it.

Wow it looks great.

Can you please post a pic where we can see bottom side?

Will do. Thanks.

How strong is the 3D printer material used? I may have access to one in architecture school but haven't seen it working yet.

Actually, during this process, I've ordered several different materials to find the right one. I've used Nylon, Alumide, WSF, and ABS. The one you see has an Alumide end cap, and WSF end cap with the legs made from Nylon, and the various other materials.

More reasons why I wish my company had a 3d printer. This thing is looking slick. Though personally I like the cobra concept more but definitely agree with costs being higher on that design.

Yeah, me too. But, it is too difficult to make without some serious manufacturing prep.

Wow, very nice looking fixture. Well done!

Just wondering, Shapeways is the company that did the fabrication it for you?

Yes. I've used Shapeways and Ponoko. Both are fine services! The top sheet aluminum also came from Ponoko.

WOW! that looks awesome! is there a list yet on orders? I might like to get on that list!

Not yet. This is still a prototype and still being refined. One of the problems with using the above mentioned services, is they take 2 to 3 weeks to ship, which delays prototyping substantially!

WOW, that thing is AWSOME !!! Hopefully this leads to something really good for you, I can see you really put in a lot of work and effort to make it come to life.

Congrats.

Looks good to me. I'm in the market for a small tank in the 3-4 gallon range. I was initially looking for one with a top with the light laying on the top since my location is on a desk next to my computer and don't want too much light escaping out the top. Keep up the good work though. If you end up with a complete product with good craftmanship, I will consider it.

That design looks awesome. I have one question though, are their any plans for mounting legs for rimmed aquariums or is this solely for rimless aquariums?

WOW, that thing is AWSOME !!! Hopefully this leads to something really good for you, I can see you really put in a lot of work and effort to make it come to life.

Congrats.

Thanks. Much appreciated.

Looks good to me. I'm in the market for a small tank in the 3-4 gallon range. I was initially looking for one with a top with the light laying on the top since my location is on a desk next to my computer and don't want too much light escaping out the top. Keep up the good work though. If you end up with a complete product with good craftmanship, I will consider it.

This particular tank is superb. All glass construction. 3.5 gallons with glass lid. My LFS just received a new shipment so I suspect they're available on the Internet. I'll try and find out more.

That design looks awesome. I have one question though, are their any plans for mounting legs for rimmed aquariums or is this solely for rimless aquariums?

YES! I am in the process of re-designing the legs and fixture so they are adjustable. Stay tuned.

Thanks! The end caps and the snap-on feet are 3D printed. The closeup is made of Alumide (aluminum sintered) and the legs are ABS. The sheet aluminum was laser cut and fit perfectly onto the end caps. Such a snug fit, it turns out the hardware will be a bit of overkill.

Well some great craftsmanship was put into it even after your awesome design work! I can appreciate the attention to detail and this fixture design being able to incorporate the panoramas for a pico tank is perfect! Glad to hear that ecoexotic is ontop of this and wants to promote the fixture, there should be more people like you willing to take initiative to design better products for our pico reef tanks. GOOD JOB!

On another note I'm interested to hear about this thing your working on to combat the temperature issues in a pico.

Well some great craftsmanship was put into it even after your awesome design work! I can appreciate the attention to detail and this fixture design being able to incorporate the panoramas for a pico tank is perfect! Glad to hear that ecoexotic is ontop of this and wants to promote the fixture, there should be more people like you willing to take initiative to design better products for our pico reef tanks. GOOD JOB!

On another note I'm interested to hear about this thing your working on to combat the temperature issues in a pico.

As I mentioned, I have a working breadboard with fan. It uses a very quiet and small fan which doesn't move a lot of air, but enough to cool down a Pico. It has a sensor which goes in the water and a couple potentiometers to adjust the ON and OFF points. Maybe I should change it so these are fixed and there's no adjustments? What do you think? My goal is to try and make it as affordable as possible, while also functioning for Picos. I also have an Arduino which I might try and set it up with so you could view the tank temperature and control the fan with a smartphone-- though that seems a bit much..

Amazing skills!

Thanks!

I haven't read every single post in here, but couldnt you make your light fixtures with small fans built into the FACE of the fixtures (where the LEDs are) that aim towards the water and cool it down? Just a thought.

^I think that might just heat up the water, as you'd end up cooling the heatsink even more, but the hot air gets pushed into the water. And plus is there's going to be some sort of splashguard, then it wouldn't really be possible.

Here is the fixture painted and assembled. As I mentioned, I'm working on a new design which has more flexibility in the foot area.

FixturePainted01.png

Archived