Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Lee's 40 Gallon Breeder (Retiring)

Lee Van Reef

My aquaclear crapped out on me so I ordered some stuff for an overflow. I got the eshopps nano HOB overflow, a rio 1400 pump and a return utube on order and I picked up a 10 gallon tank for 6 bucks at petco (the guy messed up the amount because I payed partly with cash and the rest of the purchase on my card.)

Hopefully I will have it plumbed this weekend and then the tank lit up by the end of the month. :D

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lets see more pictures! i live the scape now that there is sand

I'll get some up tomorrow maybe, the tank is cloudy atm.. I kind of liked the scape better dry. Now that I've added water i kind of don't like it much lol

nice stand

Thanks Robot!

In other news, I moved my tank somewhere more visible and that I wont have any more risk of knocking it over.

Got my sump setup and running! Aside from a bit of gargling due to the overflow, the system is very quiet. The rio pump moves alot of water and is very very quiet! All in all, I'm pretty happy with the setup now.

Was able to get the overflow to shut up by shoving an airline tube into the standpipe. It did the trick and I didn't have to put together a gurgle buster.

Water finally cleared up, so pics in a few when I get out of class.

image_1.jpg

Changed the rock work because I grew to hate it soo bad. Excuse the cloudyness, the sand was pretty roughed up.

THe new scape is supposed to be like a more natural reef outcrop, and its going to look great with coral and some Macros courtesy of Keydiver!

Also my lighting should be here sometime next week, hopefully!

Thanks!

I can snap some pics in a bit. The plumbing is just a flexible 3/4 id tube going from the eshopps into my sump and then a 3/4 id from the pump to the utube attachment.

Nice tank Lee. I just started my tank as well. I feel your pain with aquascaping. It always feels like it could be better or tweaked. I epoxied mine like mad to force myself to keep out of my tank. Good luck and coming along nicely.

Thank man! Aquascaping is definitely not a fun experience for me. The funny thing is that I epoxied the hell out of my rocks and it just crumbled...I took that as a hint from god lol

Frankie,

You gotta post pictures! Geeze. So I will help out.

24 LED Build - Nano Box Drivers

6144498791_6f39eed005.jpg

I am waiting on one last piece of acrylic Frankie then off to you!

-Dave

So for the past week I've been having some severe nasty water. It didn't go away over time at all.

So I went and got some carbon and more floss and shoved my filter back on it and tried to see if that helped.

NOPE

(chuck testa)

Then I did a 100% water change. That cleared the cloudy ugly yellow water, but there was still a ton of sand being blown around. So for two days straight i played around with differing amount of floss on my hangon back and nothing helped. If anything, it made it worse.

So after a few days of dicking around with that, I chucked the filter out of frustration and put a sock, yes a sock for my feet ( a new one, that I rinsed heavily), on the end of the drain pipe and just shoved the bag of carbon near the pump inlet.

10 seconds later, water was instantly clear. Yep, ghetto-ness does in fact pay off.

I'll post some pics later of the tank after I get some work done.

So after a few days of dicking around with that, I chucked the filter out of frustration and put a sock,

yes a sock for my feet ( a new one, that I rinsed heavily),

on the end of the drain pipe and just shoved the bag of carbon near the pump inlet.

10 seconds later, water was instantly clear. Yep, ghetto-ness does in fact pay off.

:lol:

I did that with my old 100g's sump..... :D

Totally works, but I've never admitted doing it, until now. :lol:

Gotta love ghetto ingenuity! omgomgomg

:lol:

I did that with my old 100g's sump..... :D

Totally works, but I've never admitted doing it, until now. :lol:

Gotta love ghetto ingenuity! omgomgomg

I new i wasn't the only one! :lol:

I was hesitant to say anything, not wanting some sort of "laundry detergent will kill everything" sort of response.

Hopefully I will order some legit filter socks with my skimmer. :D

Archived