Cultivated Reef

Help me get My 20-Gallon (Tall) Nano-Reef back on track!

Fishgirl2393

Fishgirl2393

Just did a fair amount of maintenance on the tank (which is pretty hard when you have a clownfish that wants to kill your hand!). I cleaned the filters (pads, etc were rinsed), removed a LOT of excess algae since I've been battling a variety of caulerpa and am FINALLY getting a grip on it although I think I may need to add some sort of natural control (a fish maybe or something else... I'm open to suggestions). I also tested salinity and cleaned around the aquarium. I've been battling cyano for a while (as you probably know from previous posts) but I THINK I'm getting a hold on it too now. Any tips on getting rid of it would be most helpful. Overall, the tank is looking better but not as good as I'd like.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fishgirl2393

Well, since I've done a lot to the tank (upgrades, maintenance, etc) over the past few months, it's looking better. The skimmer is a must have now (even though it's NOT the best skimmer, it works better than NO skimmer). The powerhead has helped quite a bit and the new lights have too. The water changes (I'll be doing another tonight) have also helped. The SeaGel has worked well to reduce phosphates/excess organics. I'm still dealing with caulerpa but seem to be getting a SLIGHT hold on it now. I'm thinking of adding a critter to help with it but don't know what to add (any suggestions?). I'm also dealing with a TINY bit of cyano (not nearly as bad as it was before) and need some tips on getting than under control too.

Archived