Coral Vue Hydros

Jamie's TEMPERATE 5.5

Jamie

This is happening. :D It's gonna be awesome. But yeah, that's about all I have so far. I've been doing lots of stuff with acrylic, saws, plumbing, and pond sealant all day today. Should be ready for pics soon enough! B)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AquaticEngineer

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet :D

I'll have to post up pics of my nano cube Oregon coast tiger pod grow out tanks, I think they are like 2-3 gallons at most lol.

Looking forward to this thread too. Yes, Aquaticengineer, post pix of your "nano cube Oregon coast tiger pod grow out tanks". Oooooo...

Liz

AquaticEngineer
oooor you could update your main thread with pictures of your actual tank. ;)

Nah, that'd ruin the surprise :D

bah, well I guess I can't complain as I didn't manage pics tonight either. I'm going camping/collecting tomorrow and the next day, so it won't be till sunday or monday I guess, but I promise it'll be worth the wait!

Where are you going to go collecting?

Okay, so we made it a day trip because we couldn't find an open campground, but I went in the olympia/tacoma area. Got some metridiums, some cool anthopleuras(?) I've never seen before, and three of the worlds tiniest sticklebacks. :D

:haha:

So happy, I love your aquariums

Thanks! Hopefully this one lives up to the rest.

AquaticEngineer

Nice :D

Give me a ring next time you go out collecting, I've been getting a few people I know to go locally so we can car pool and split gas.

I'll probably be going next weekend, but it might be a family trip so I don't know if I could join you guys. :/

And here's some pics of the livestock! Tragedy has already struck, as the sticklebacks were so small they got sucked into the filter intake :( . The nems seem to be doing ok though, hopefully everyone makes it - the tank is still pretty unstable having basically no live rock. That should be remedied next weekend though, more on that later. ;)

Metridiums:

DSC_0026-3.jpg

DSC_0024-6.jpg

mystery nems. The column says urticina but the oral disk says anthopleura?

DSC_0028.jpg

And here's the tank itself (really messy, it's not completely finished yet :blush: ) :

DSC_0031-4.jpg

DSC_0030-5.jpg

The second pic is a top view from the back, where you can see all the awesomeness. The small chamber on the left houses the pump, which feeds the chiller. The larger chamber on the right is for a remote deep sand bed, the bottom half of which will be filled with estuarine mud and the top half with plain old beach sand to keep the mud out of the water column (I'll be collecting these this weekend). Can you say natural filtration? :D Right now I have an hob canister filter, which may or may not be permanent, depending on how effective the rdsb is. The computer fan will be removed once I get the chiller recharged - but right now it's doing a fantastic job keeping the tank cool, with a night temp of 61 and a day temp of 63. Keep in mind this is my basement, where ambient is only around 66, but I'm still pretty impressed!

So yeah, it looks really messy right now, but I'll be getting everything cleaned up over the next few weeks!

More pics! fed some mysis and did a waterchange today, everything seems to be doing well so far. I put a real light on the tank to get some algae going for the chiton, hopefully I wont see too big of a bloom.

DSC_0056-2.jpg

DSC_0060-4.jpg

DSC_0063-6.jpg

DSC_0066-2.jpg

DSC_0058-1.jpg

And here's some pics from the tidepools at cape arago, near where I was taking a short marine bio summer class. The diversity there was incredible! Mostly the usual suspect pictured though.

DSC_0001-6.jpg

DSC_0010-7.jpg

DSC_0006-5.jpg

Thanks for looking!

AquaticEngineer

The Chiton you got there primarily feeds on coralline algae, I'd grab some rocks with some next time you go out since coralline grows so slowly in our tanks.

The Chiton you got there primarily feeds on coralline algae, I'd grab some rocks with some next time you go out since coralline grows so slowly in our tanks.

Ooh, I hadn't thought of that, thanks for the advice.

Oooh I like those mystery nems!

Are you keeping the display bare bottom?

Nope, just haven't gotten substrate yet. It will probably be small pebbles, cemented in place because this tank is going to be moved back and forth from college a lot.

AquaticEngineer
Taking the chiller in today to get recharged. :happydance:

Where are you getting yours serviced at? I may need a recharge on the one I just got to be on the safe side.

Well, mine is Pacific Coast brand, and they just happen to be based in Woodburn, so I called and asked if they could do it and they said sure. Not sure if other brands would be ok though...

AquaticEngineer
Well, mine is Pacific Coast brand, and they just happen to be based in Woodburn, so I called and asked if they could do it and they said sure. Not sure if other brands would be ok though...

Ok cool, the one I got is a PCI CL-280 I think. Its a 1/10th HP. What did they quote you on servicing it?

If its not too much, I'll have to just drive down there are have em do mine too.

Ok cool, the one I got is a PCI CL-280 I think. Its a 1/10th HP. What did they quote you on servicing it?

If its not too much, I'll have to just drive down there are have em do mine too.

Well, I have a cl-280 too! 'Too much' is hard to define. They said $150 is standard, but it's more if they can't find the leak. I have no idea if I'm being totally ripped off or not, but it's still way cheaper than buying a new chiller, and I figured if it the original company they're going to know what they're doing and do a good job. Then again, the place looked kinda sketchy - it was really messy (like, challenging to walk through) and smelled like smoke - but it is just a wholesale place, so maybe that doesn't matter. If you're gonna spring for it, I'd wait till I get mine back and can give you the go-ahead. I can, however, based on experience with two cl-280's, tell you that you will most definitely need to get it recharged at some point.

You need some sculpins!

I know! I should be getting some this weekend. :)

Waterfall sealant for ponds - same stuff aquatic engineer is using in his setup. It's basically an expanding spray foam that you can shape/texturize/etc.

Archived