Top Shelf Aquatics

*Pictures!* Pong's 40B Tank

awpong

I won a Fuzzy Lionfish yesterday in a raffle. He's freaking awesome! I need to buy some krill for him. I attempted to get some ghost shrimp for him but I think they are way to big for him to eat. They were half size or bigger.

Do they eat live brine shrimp??

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I won a Fuzzy Lionfish yesterday in a raffle. He's freaking awesome! I need to buy some krill for him. I attempted to get some ghost shrimp for him but I think they are way to big for him to eat. They were half size or bigger.

Do they eat live brine shrimp??

They do, but they shouldn't live off of it. How big is he? I'm sure he's plenty big for a ghost shrimp. If not a ghost shrimp, mysis. Brine shrimp aren't very nutritious.

They do, but they shouldn't live off of it. How big is he? I'm sure he's plenty big for a ghost shrimp. If not a ghost shrimp, mysis. Brine shrimp aren't very nutritious.

I'm guessing he's about 2 inches. Is it difficult to train them to eat frozen mysis?

I'm guessing he's about 2 inches. Is it difficult to train them to eat frozen mysis?

There are a bunch of different methods for training them to eat frozen. I suggest you do some research and find which one sounds the most practical for you. Training them to eat frozen mysis will be a little different than most, because usually the training methods are for krill and silversides. Either way, you'll probably need to buy a few ghost shrimp to help entice your lion to eat until he's trained on frozen.

Well since my zebra didn't make it, I somehow wound up with a baby volitan lion that I'll be growing out until it gets too big. The store I bought it from said that they'd buy it back and swap it out for a smaller lion. I couldn't resist, and so far, I haven't been disappointed. Unlike my fuzzy who hides all day, the volitan is out and about. He's a constant swimmer and is quite the looker.

This set up basically works out for me due to my current housing arrangements. Since they're really fast growers, he'll probably outgrow the tank by April or May, just in time for my summer break. Therefore, I'll probably end up returning him at the end of the semester, and pick up my new one once I'm back on campus.

2842c19c.jpg

3f7c2378.jpg

8880aeb1.jpg

eba8a641.jpg

So the current tank inhabitants are:

Lemonpeel angel

Cleaner Wrasse

Fuzzy Lionfish

Volitan Lionfish

Anyways, I'm starting to get the feeling that this tank is pushing it's capacity, but I really really want to get a tomato clown and bubble tip anemone. I've been wanting these guys for a long time, and I don't know how much longer I can suppress these urges haha. Since the lights on my 20L don't really fit the length of the tank, I was thinking about buying a new fixture for that tank, and placing the old 150W MH fixture onto the 40B in addition to the 78W T5 fixture that is currently on there. With the added light, I should have enough light to sustain a RBTA. I've done a bit of research and can't find any accounts of lions and anemones not working out. My only other concern would be the lemonpeel picking on the anemone, but hopefully I'll get the tomato clown to host the RBTA and protect it from the lemonpeel's curiosity.

I've always wanted clowns to host an anemone, but I've basically lost any hope of my clowns in the 20L to host my frogspawn. So what do y'all think? Would the addition of a tomato clown and RBTA in the 40B be pushing it too much?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, sadly I no longer have any dwarf lions. The zebra didn't make it 24 hours past shipping, and the fuzzy mysteriously lost his entire tail and slowly withered away :'(. I have serious doubts that it was fin rot.

Anyways, this weekend I bought a cinnamon clown and an RBTA. I'm a little worried about the RBTA, because when I bought him from the store, he was attached to the shell of a clam. In the process of removing the nem from the clam shell, he did sustain some damage to his foot. I kept the nem in a breeder cage for a few days, and just added him to the main tank today. Luckily, the clown jumped right into the nem within second. However, I'm a little worried that he might be too rough with the RBTA. I'd hate to lose the nem.

Anyways, here are pics. PS: this is post #1000

th_e75e92aa.jpg

RBTA hosting the clown

ba9e1c13.jpg

FTS

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my cinnamon was in fact too aggressive with the RBTA, so I had to isolate it in the breeder box again. After a week and a half of daily feeding (although it spat out the chunks of silver sides. I'm assuming they were just too large for it), the RBTA's foot seemed to have healed and the nem was fully inflating again.

So on Monday I reintroduced the nem to the DT, and the cinnamon jumped right in. Luckily the foot had attached too! So far so good. The nem has remained in the same location ever since, and after a few days, has fully expanded.

So here's a pic of the new beauty :)

IMG_1365.jpg

(Surprisingly, the red is even more vibrant in person!!!)

The glass is exposed around the nem because of the clown. In the process of "loving" the nem, he kicks up any and all of the sand behind him. I'm not too woried though, the sand bed in that location of the tank is less than 0.5"

Here's also a pic of my volitan:

IMG_1391.jpg

I knew they grew fast, but ####! He's gotten huge! His color is coming in nicely and his fins have grown at least 1 or 2 inches since I got him. His girth is finally starting to appear too. I was hoping to minimize his growth rate by only feeding 3 times a week. Unfortunately, this lion eats everything! Although he get's 3 specialized feedings of 2 chunks of silverside, he eats the other fish's mysis too, lol. I've even seen him eat some of the free floating nori after my lemonpeel and cleaner wrasse rip it off the clip. No wonder these guys are invasive in the Atlantic.

aww, sorry about your fuzzy :( I cant imagine losing my boy, he's the life of my reef! your volitans is STUNNING, though. he's a black, right? one of the best looking lion species for sure; if only I had a tank large enough for one!

aww, sorry about your fuzzy :( I cant imagine losing my boy, he's the life of my reef! your volitans is STUNNING, though. he's a black, right? one of the best looking lion species for sure; if only I had a tank large enough for one!

Nah he's not the black variety. He's more of a really dark brown with purple accents. He's a gorgeous fish! He's just growing really really quickly so I might have to move him to his new home sooner than I had anticipated.

You can see in the FTS that he's getting rather large.

5036da0c.jpg

Awesome lion, any updates on how the tank is going?

There's nothing really new with the tank as of right now. I've just been trying to feed the RBTA every day so I can get it nice and large as soon as possible. Other than that, everything in the tank is doing great. My cinnamon has finally warmed up to the cleaner and will let him do his job, and the lion is still king of the tank.

freakin awsome fish, wont outgrow your tank?

I love your fish!!

Thanks, and yea, unfortunately he will outgrow the tank. I had originally planned on moving him in May, but he's growing so quickly that I might have to move him as early as mid December; most likely he'll remain in the tank until mid-late February. Until then, he's still got plenty of room in the tank and the water quality isn't suffering due to his presence.

I just ordered a DSLR camera this afternoon, so when it arrives on Thursday, I'll post a lot of new pictures.

Well I have now installed the GFO reactor, and with a little tweaking of the mj1200 and connections, it's working great!

Reactor.jpg

Also, I just got my very first DSLR camera yesterday. Therefore, here are bunch of pictures of the 40B. Soon to come are 10000s of pics of the 20L. I still have no idea how to work the camera properly, with all of the gadgets and what not, but it's still 100000000x better than my iPhone's camera.

FTS

FTS40B.jpg

My Cinnamon Clown and her RBTA. She still doesn't have a name.

RBTAandCinnamon.jpg

Freddie, my lionfish, eating some silverside chunks

LionFeeding1.jpg

LionFeeding2.jpg

LionFeeding3.jpg

Juanita, my cleaner wrasse.

CleanerWrasse.jpg

My Lemonpeel angel, Sunny, and Juanita eating some nori.

Lemonpeelandwrasse.jpg

What types of lighting are u currently using? I love the clownfish/anemone pair!

I have two t5 fixtures. I originally had a 78W light fixture, but I recently added an additional 156W T5 fixture so that I could support the nem with a cumulative 244 Watts of T5 lighting.

looks fantastical, how often do you think you will need to change the GFO?

are you planning any more fish?

Thanks. :D

The instructions on BRS's website says "Replace GFO every 4-8 weeks depending on your tanks needs." So I'll probably change it every 6 weeks, unless I start to see algae growing sooner.

I'm not planning on adding any more fish to the tank as long as the lion is in there. I just really don't want to risk messing with my water quality. Although he's still somewhat small, I fear what he's capable of producing. However, since I will move him to a larger tank within the next 4 months, probably sooner, I will be replacing him with a few fish. I'm thinking maybe I'll try another dwarf lion and either a small clown to create a pair, or maybe a wrasse or mandarin. I'd love to get a single anthias, but their feeding needs worry me a little.

I have two t5 fixtures. I originally had a 78W light fixture, but I recently added an additional 156W T5 fixture so that I could support the nem with a cumulative 244 Watts of T5 lighting.

Thanks for the help! You have a awesome tank!

Archived