SaltCritters.com

Downsizing without Downgrading

ap123

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Man I love my LFS employees. Thanks for reminding me of that Anne.

I am glad I don't have to deal with that anymore. My LFS is, well, ME.....LOL

Man I love my LFS employees. Thanks for reminding me of that Anne.

I love when my good deed for the day is accomplished without me even trying. :lol:

I am glad I don't have to deal with that anymore. My LFS is, well, ME.....LOL

Well, c'mon and send me stuffs, so I don't have to deal with nonsense. :happy:

Well, c'mon and send me stuffs, so I don't have to deal with nonsense. :happy:

I can get you Fiji pink all day, but you still have to pay to ship it...lol

That's a great looking tank. Even more so since it's recycled :)

I don't know if you are still considering black sand. I had it in a tank and absolutely hated it. It looked nice, but it must have had some metal in it because the sand would always stick to my algae cleaning magnet. It looked like lead shavings (similar to pencil lead). I don't remember the brand of sand but it was for a reef and not a no name brand. Just wanted to throw that out there in case it wasn't an isolated incident.

Thanks Gena, I read about magnetic properties of black sand in a couple of threads, and that alone makes me too nervous to try--especially in an acrylic tank.

Honestly, I feel very fortunate to be looking at such an excellent tank sitting on my nightstand. Reefing friends are a blessing. :wub:

~Anne

Thanks Gena, I read about magnetic properties of black sand in a couple of threads, and that alone makes me too nervous to try--especially in an acrylic tank.

Honestly, I feel very fortunate to be looking at such an excellent tank sitting on my nightstand. Reefing friends are a blessing. :wub:

~Anne

I had a glass tank so it was mostly just annoying to have to clean the magnet all of the time. With acrylic, that would be catastrophic :o

I think, for the most part, people into reefing are just good people. From my own experience, with selling to other reefers, they are the nicest people. We're a happy bunch :D

I think, for the most part, people into reefing are just good people. From my own experience, with selling to other reefers, they are the nicest people. We're a happy bunch :D

It must be the effects of looking at our pretties all day. ;)B)

Got Nature's Ocean Samoan Pink. Looks fine, most important is the grain size is what I wanted. :)

Also picked up a light yesterday. Have I mentioned how much I <3 n-r'ers?

Filled with water this morning, added rock and sand.

Gotta get my pics loaded to photobucket, give me a minute.

back chambers

DSCN1073-1.jpg

top down

DSCN1074.jpg

sand storm

DSCN1071.jpg

woop!

DSCN1072.jpg

Good looking tank. I can't wait to see what the scape looks like :P

Are you going to be adding another bulb or are you running with only one? Also I probably missed it at some point, but what bulb is it?

Thanks Kim and Pyro! :)

It's already much clearer, I have to get the camera out again for another pic. The light is a PAR 38 with 80 optics. For now I'm going to try only one, I think it will be enough, but we'll see.

I wanted to transfer my corals, but I'm concerned that the water is a little too cool. Sent my boy to the LFS for a little heater (I didn't think I would need one until the air conditioning is on), but I'm going to take it back without using it, and order one online. $43 for a cruddy Marineland heater. :angry: No thank you!

DSCN1078.jpg

DSCN1075.jpg

It's already much clearer, I have to get the camera out again for another pic. The light is a PAR 38 with 40 optics. For now I'm going to try only one, I think it will be enough, but we'll see.

It should be more than enough light for corals. My only wonder is about the spread of the light and if you'd get any shadowed patches. It doesn't look like it in the picture though.

Good question. The spread seems fairly even, there are some shadier spots, which I wanted for my dendros. They're happier when they aren't directly in the light. :)

Mr. Microscope

The light looks great on your table. I'm surprised you went with the 40 degrees. Be careful with light acclimation. The 40 degree optics make the light a lot more intense than the 80s or 60s. Remember, the LEDs in that bulb are driven almost to maximum.

Those mangroves look really nice!

Thanks zoafreak! I love the mangroves, and I think the combination of a macro w/fast uptake (like chaeto, which is in there but you can't see it) and slower uptake like mangroves works really well.

Well hey, Mr Microscope, fancy meeting you here. ;) I'm very, very happy with the light/fixture. :) But I thought those were the 80s that were in there, no? I didn't change them, and can't check at the moment cause I'm not sure where hubby put the other optics (type of thing we immediately put out of reach of kids and dog). Hmmm. I put a couple of mushrooms and palys in there to test how they do with the light, as long as the 45 is still up, I have the luxury of taking a few days to see how things adjust. Thanks so much!

~Anne

Well, late to the party as usual... Looking good. I like the fixture you found for the PAR38... Makes my DIY look horrible at best.

I'm pretty sure the term is fashionably late, Joe. :lol:

I can't begin to tell you how happy I was when I woke up this morning, and was able to look at the running tank. I am loving how the light and fixture look, too--but can't take credit for it. ;)

I want to try and get better pics tomorrow, I'm just too beat to search for the camera charger tonight. Weets was concerned about dead spots from the way I scaped. I think it's ok, but would love feedback.

Archived