Innovative Marine Aquariums

25g rimless cube updated pics 12-13-11

briansbelle

briansbelle

picked up a mr aqua rimless 25g 18x18x18 cube.

will be trying my best to document the build.

gonna use the kiss method, no sump,no skimmer,no fuge.

i will be running for now a single boostled par 38 bulb with 3 blue/1 white...60 degree optics. im going to eventually have the hubby help me make a DIY fixture.

any recommendations on a DIY kit fairly priced that will be enough light to keep sofites(zoas,shrooms,gsp,

it will be home to my pair of clowns and my pair of mandarins(yes they eat frozen nutramar ova)

i cant wait to get this setup! the tank looks awesome and its still in the box with all the foam...lmao!!!

updates coming soon!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
briansbelle

Stand is done for the most part. Still gotta get wood filler and fill the holes then one more coat of paint then she's all done. I was gonna have hubby make me a door for it but I really like it without the door..lol

Pics coming soon!

briansbelle

Just ordered some aqua mags to put corals on the back wall. Got my inspiration from marias(got2envy) contest tank. :)

briansbelle

Hi ruben! Long time! I will get pics up as soon as possible. Will start uploading in a few mins.

I also picked up a little GEO cube(directly from the man himself :) ) its 12x12x10 all in one cube. Not sure what I'm gonna put in it yet but its cute ;)

Yes long time!I couldn't stay away so after selling you're old 75 I picked up a jbj28 but now been looking more and more at getting a cube,what did he charge you if you don't mind me asking.

briansbelle

he had the tank laying around, it was a blem(had a few bubbles in the seam of the acrylic so he woldnt sell it) he just gave it to me!! :)

here are pics of the GEO AIO cube and the mr aqua cube. have $100 total in the mr aqua setup stand and all :)

007-4.jpg

008-4.jpg

stand only primer

001-3.jpg

inside of stand

002-1.jpg

almost done

005-2.jpg

am going to be picking up some small dowel type plugs for the screw holes in the stand and painting them silver to make it look like silver rivets.

also going to be painting the back of the cube black today..

then sunday will be transfer day....after i locate some sand...really want black sand but cant find any..i have moon sand but heard its not good bc it wont regulate ph...

more pics to come :)

briansbelle

Tank now has sand :) waiting on my saltwater to mix up so I can get the rocks in there. Its all coming together nicely and with the par bulb hanging above it it looks awesome!!

To be continued..........

briansbelle

I'm planning on changing 2 gallons of water twice a week. And will also throw on a hob filter after a wc and run carbon for 24hrs.

Thanks! Tank is full,everything opened right up after the transfer!

I love this tank, and I too noticed one pane is a little off on mine too.

Did you put foam under your tank? Mine has an ADA garden mat(foam). It also came with ADA clips and an ADA glass top. I'm not going to be using the glass top but I have it incase I need to.

Will update pics tomorrow, gonna let the tank clear up overnite.

Rabidgerbil38

I didn't use any foam or anything, I just sanded my stand with a straight edge to get it nice and even for the tank. An yea there not perfect, but still really nice for the price.

I don't have a real lid, just some plexiglas use when adding fish that might jump. I'm hopping after the fish get situated for a couple weeks there won't be any jumping issues, but got the plexi in case I end up with a jumper ;)

briansbelle

Yes they are def worth the price. I bought mine used and total with the aquarium,clips,glass top and stand build I have maybe $125 invested. The tank was only $70 :)

I will get pics today once the lights come on.

briansbelle

my 2 cubes. gonna try to figure out how to use the small cube as a display fuge for the 25g.

023-1.jpg

porcelain crab waking up, he sleeps under the shrooms

007-5.jpg

013-2.jpg

015-2.jpg

003-3.jpg

004-4.jpg

i love this tonga branch, perfect for all types on coral!!

005-3.jpg

FTS: sorry bout the reflections and glare, gonna have to take pics at nite...lol

002-2.jpg

i absolutely love how the silicone work is done on this tank. after owning a few standard tanks and a rimless 40b(glass cages) this tank is done so neatly and with so very little silicone that it looks like it shouldnt even hold water...lmao!!

stay tuned for more updates,,,im also thinking of adding another fish, any ideas? i have a pair of clowns and a mandarin....would another fish be too much??

Rabidgerbil38

Very nice porcelain crab, the tank looks great. It should be ok to add another fish, I kept 2 clowns and a cardinal in a 10g so 4 in a 25 should be fine. I just got a mccoskers wrasse recently that I love, there very colorful and active fish. Any wrasse would be awesome, just as long as there not a large one.

briansbelle

thanks!!

i would love a wrasse but dont want anything that will compete with my mandarin grazing. my mandarin eats nutramar ova but still likes to pick at the rocks, also most wrasses will sky dive out of an uncovered tank...

thinking of a royal gramma(really like that colors) or dottyback of some kind,,,are they really mean??

my female clownfish would put it in its place real quick...she attacks me...lol!!!

Weetabix7
thanks weets.

hey has maria been on lately? i havent seen her for a while...

She made a VERY brief appearance in Weetie's Lounge a few days ago.

She didn't say much though.

She said she's been very busy with work.

thanks!!

i would love a wrasse but dont want anything that will compete with my mandarin grazing. my mandarin eats nutramar ova but still likes to pick at the rocks, also most wrasses will sky dive out of an uncovered tank...

thinking of a royal gramma(really like that colors) or dottyback of some kind,,,are they really mean??

my female clownfish would put it in its place real quick...she attacks me...lol!!!

I've heard the electric blue colored dottybacks aren't as agressive.

briansbelle

ah ok. hopefully she stops in my thread. i wanted to let her know she is the inspiration for my rimless tank. im also getting 2 of the aqua mags for the back wall....

im excited!!

edit** googled dottyback, seems most are aggressive in smaller tanks.**

im just gonna stick with trying to find a royal gramma...really like those...

thanks!!

briansbelle

Picked up a royal gramma today. He's so awesome!! Also added a pep shrimp to get the 2 small aiptasia I saw.

And my aqua mags came in today! They are very white, look like clouds in the tank...lol

Can't wait for them to get nice and purple. :)

Pics soon

Rabidgerbil38
thanks!!

I'd stay away from dottybacks unless you know for sure it's not to aggressive, I got one in the brig(sump) right now because it has been to aggressive to anything it's size and smaller.. Just a warning. Basslets like the royal gramma are supposed to be a lot nicer though.

briansbelle

Yeah, went with a royal gramma, and so far so good. He has his little area in the rocks.

Archived