Top Shelf Aquatics

Reusing PVC fittings that have been cemented.

pyrocreep

So, basically what I would like to know is if there is any way to either break down the cement that bonds the PCV pieces together (I realize this is unlikely, but I can't remember if it is fully bonded together or not) or if there is another way to remove them. Would cutting the pieces and drilling them out work? Could I simply cut them with a little bit of length left and add unions into the setup?

I realize that none of these are prefect, but I will not be able to proceed with my current project and I would rather not waste all of the PCV fittings that I've purchased.

So, basically what I would like to know is if there is any way to either break down the cement that bonds the PCV pieces together (I realize this is unlikely, but I can't remember if it is fully bonded together or not) or if there is another way to remove them. Would cutting the pieces and drilling them out work? Could I simply cut them with a little bit of length left and add unions into the setup?

I realize that none of these are prefect, but I will not be able to proceed with my current project and I would rather not waste all of the PCV fittings that I've purchased.

The pvc glue actually melts the plastic together so you shouldn't be able to get apart.But if u wanna reuse the fittings they make a tool to drill out the fittings after u have cut it off and u can reglue it. but it takes a special tool or a drill press.You can reuse the pipe sections that u cut off.Those fittings at lowes or HD are dirt cheap except for valves and etc.Save yourself the headache and avoid a leak and get new fittings.

Most of them I will scrap, but I will probably try and save the 3 ball valves. I figure I'll do like you say and simply cut off the pipe with a couple of inches so that I can put it all back together. Thanks

Most of them I will scrap, but I will probably try and save the 3 ball valves. I figure I'll do like you say and simply cut off the pipe with a couple of inches so that I can put it all back together. Thanks

The solvent used in PVC ABS welds the two together. If it was done correctly you will not be able to separate them.

Unions cost quite a bit more than ball valves. Truthfully, if you're in this hobby, you can afford to get new PVC fittings.

disaster999

sure you can reuse the fittings.

you just have to first cut the pipe the valve/fitting its in. remove the pipe thats glued/solvent welded inside the valve/fitting either by drilling, or a sanding drum fitment on a dremel and slowly remove it. making sure the you dont go overboard with it and sand into the valve/fitting itself and keeping it the hole perfectly round and square. after doing all that then maybe the new pipe will fit. then probably use more glue to make sure there isnt any leaks.

or you can skip all that work and just get another valve/fitting for a few bucks.

If you havent cut them apart already just cut them off long and glue new couplers on to the old pipe., its as safe as any other union in your plumbing., but it will add length if your trying to reuse the entire set up.

Nanoreefwanabe
sure you can reuse the fittings.

you just have to first cut the pipe the valve/fitting its in. remove the pipe thats glued/solvent welded inside the valve/fitting either by drilling, or a sanding drum fitment on a dremel and slowly remove it. making sure the you dont go overboard with it and sand into the valve/fitting itself and keeping it the hole perfectly round and square. after doing all that then maybe the new pipe will fit. then probably use more glue to make sure there isnt any leaks.

or you can skip all that work and just get another valve/fitting for a few bucks.

the inside of PVC pipe fittings are not square they are tapered.

If you havent cut them apart already just cut them off long and glue new couplers on to the old pipe., its as safe as any other union in your plumbing., but it will add length if your trying to reuse the entire set up.

the only real solution to reusing fittings, if you have enough pipe on them they are perfectly fine to reuse this way...trying to clean out a fitting is going to be a nightmare and use more time then it is worth...

Archived