ReefCleaners.org

FW dwarf puffer tank (They're finally here!)

Daleo

I've been off of NR for a long time, and especially long time for this thread... I loved this tank so much. Unfortunately, my heater's thermostat died and nuked the tank to 96 degrees... killed all the puffers and some plants. Some plants made it, and are in a RSM 130 at the moment. The tank is pretty and full of fish about 20 neon tetras and 20 guppies. I will post a pic when I can. So, sadly the tank is gone, but it turned into a nice freshwater setup in the end.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find that most freshwater puffers don't deserve the bad reputation they have.

I have a ~50G freshwater tank which I dub the bloodbath as it's pretty much an experiment to see what gets along.

I have 2 dwarf puffers, and in the past have had Fig8s and GSPs as well, and I have found them to do actually very well in a community tank. The 2 I have now don't bother any other fish at all (unless they get bothered first - more on that in a bit) and the ones I had before didn't really bother either. They will get in a scrap with each other if they try and steal each others foods (I feed mine frozen bloodworms with the occasional daphnia or artemia treat - and plenty of snails of course) but otherwise they're just very curious fish.

When I introduced my dwarves to my Fig 8's one of the dwarves fell in love with one of the fig8s and basically swam around as if it was attached to it. It was cute to watch and they got on fine!

The only fish which I have found to be a little nasty are barbs and opalline gouramis. They will eat whatever floats in front of them, be it food, fish or detritus!

My tank has now reached equilibrium in terms of everything getting along.

I have 2 honey barbs, 2 opalline gouramis, 2 dwarf puffers, some platies and mollies, a couple of bristlenoses, some kuhli loaches (though they hide a lot), a synodontis petricola and a couple of corydoras. Oh and a leopard bushfish - which is one of the most interesting fish I have ever seen.

Oh, and don't let anyone ever tell you that Fig8s or GSPs (which are brackish fish) will survive in freshwater. They don't. At least not as long as they should do. I learnt the hard way :(

I've been off of NR for a long time, and especially long time for this thread... I loved this tank so much. Unfortunately, my heater's thermostat died and nuked the tank to 96 degrees... killed all the puffers and some plants. Some plants made it, and are in a RSM 130 at the moment. The tank is pretty and full of fish about 20 neon tetras and 20 guppies. I will post a pic when I can. So, sadly the tank is gone, but it turned into a nice freshwater setup in the end.

That's sad to hear about the puffers. I love these little guys, so much personality. I have 1 dp in a 20g planted tank and he's in puffer heaven. Gets snails and bloodworms. I did have 2 but one sadly died due to internal parasites.

This is Button.

Archived