SaltCritters.com

FW dwarf puffer tank (They're finally here!)

Daleo

Tank looks great even with out fish

Thanx! I tried to make a "underwater rainforest" feel. I am letting plants run wild with no trimming, but if I do trim, then I replant it in another spot. My camera really doesn't capture the depth it has in real life, also the light is more shadowed and subdued.

Sucks to see that happen to you after coming so close. We kept them before and my wife loved those guys. I aclimated a brackish puffer to full marine in a tank with two large marine puffers. They were like the three amigo's. What is that layer of black stuff under the sand and does it help keep plants alive without the use of co2 or what.

It is "miracle-gro organic choice". The only potting soil safe to use in a FW planted tank. My plants like it a lot! My cabomba has even rooted so much I can see them against the glass! I basically have it so plants like swords, who need nutrients through the root system can access them.

I keep trying to convince my friend to acclimate a green spotted puffer to marine and put it in his FOWLR, but he is dying to get a Fu Manchu Lionfish first.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're finally here!!!!!! And all of them are alive and survived acclimation. :D

Sorry for the crappy pics, but my good camera is at school, and I only have my point and shoot with me.

DSCN1005.jpg

DSCN1002.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
i used to have those guys. they have so much personality. too bad my heater boiled my water overnight leaving everything in my tank DEAD.

Yikes! I almost had a heater problem... Set the heater to 78, and the water temp jumped to 90 overnight. So, I switched to my backup walmart heater, which is preset to 78, but at least it is consistent!

They only grow to be about 1" nose to tailfin. I had 3 that were out and swimming about, and I hadn't seen the others in a while (about 3-4 days). So I decided to move to a smaller tank. My LFS had a JBJ Nano 180 on clearance, so I snatched it up. Well, when I moved everything over, I actually still had 5 puffers alive! I still see only 3 happy and swimming, so idk...

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

Finally got my good camera to take pics with. I also picked up some java moss, and I am going to plant that today.

Not really.

-They need a tank of their own (species tank)

-80 degrees F water

-frozen bloodworms for food (with mysis and brine as treats/ supplements)

-lots of plants in their tank

-4-5 gallons per fish for territorial reasons.

They have a lot of personality too. If you haven't seen this video yet, it is worth a watch.

O! and a sand substrate to protect their bellies. Play sand is fine.

nice tank! i also have a freshwater tank and used to have these little guys in there along w a few other fish. these little guys will nip at the longer fins of tankmates and also LOVE fresh snails so be sure to not wash them all off when you get plants. makes me miss my little guys :(

OMFG... they are sooooooo darn cute!!!

Great video... I never realized, not even when I had mine, that their eyes move independently like a chameleons... too cool. Makes me want to copy you and set up a tank.

animalmaster6
Not really.

-They need a tank of their own (species tank)

-80 degrees F water

-frozen bloodworms for food (with mysis and brine as treats/ supplements)

-lots of plants in their tank

-4-5 gallons per fish for territorial reasons.

They have a lot of personality too. If you haven't seen this video yet, it is worth a watch.

O! and a sand substrate to protect their bellies. Play sand is fine.

That's not too hard! If you like and want them then it would be easy to do. I have been thinking about doing a dwarf puffer species tank. Decided now is not the time until I get the 125 completely up and running.

Yep I've seen that video before. Pretty awesome fishes.

Good idea. I couldn't imagine setting up 2 tanks at once. And yours is way more complicated than mine. Lol!! I would suggest a small tank though. I much prefer my 9g vs the 20L. It is easier to find these guys.

Ya! Most ppl say a strict 5g per fish, but if it is heavily planted enough, then you can do 3.

I am having a problem getting these guys to eat!! Most people say they are pigs, but mine just look at the food then swim away. Are they still trying to settle in? (BTW the 180 has been in place for about 3 days)

puffers are awesome. hope you have enough snails to feed the puffers lol

good luck!

I did not see if anyone ever expanded on this statement or not.... So I will. :)

In my experience, you need snails or other hard shelled creatures for the puffers to file down their teeth/fangs. Otherwise they grow together. Like a rabbit or mouse or other things that have constantly growing teeth.

POTM4.jpg

I had a Fahaka (Tetraodon lineatus) once and his teeth would grow like a beast even when I was pretty much only feeding him snails.

Edit: And he got to football size. I was afraid to lose a finger.....

It is thought that dwarf puffers do not have constantly growing teeth, however, in a planted tank, I will have plenty anyways...

Well that is a plus. Maybe it is just the big ass huge ones that do ;)

Yep. I know figure 8, GSP, fahaka, mbu, and most others require snail to trim their teeth. Dwarfs are the only ones I know to be an exception.

I bought 6. All 6 came in alive. 3 were bold and came out, I thought the others were dead, but only one actually died.

I am not going to say how many are in my tank now, because I have no idea. I still see 3 all the time. The others I never see... I will probably only know in the long run, because they are still shy.

Archived