SaltCritters.com

FW dwarf puffer tank (They're finally here!)

Daleo

Ya, petsmart gets me good pond snails for the dwarf puffers. I am not interested yet ;) I want to get my puffers first, then I am going to worry about filling in plants. I just rescaped it and I am getting a dual PC orbit fixture for 25 bucks, which will be better than the normal output T5s right now. Plus I added soil to the tank, and topped it off with sand. Ugh, remind me never to do that again unless I am just starting a tank.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

car got smashed... :/ only ended up costing me ~200, but that is because I replaced everything myself... I feel like a trucker lesbian now lol!! This puts my tank on hold. I picked up my dual PC light. It is a Current Orbit 36" PC. The bulbs are 50/ea. at my LFS. They can kiss my right cheek if they think I'm paying that!!

just checked, 30/ea on marine depot :)

Update: Let there be light :) and lots of it...

Halide courtesy of Jacobnano

DSCN0858.jpg

DSCN0866.jpg

DSCN0865.jpg

DSCN0862.jpg

I took down the old rock scape and put up a new "rockpile". The old one was not very secure and it would be hard doing maintenance on the filter... The new one is much more secure.

Hopefully I get paid enough on Friday for some dwarves fingerscrossed

Very very nice looking tank.. can't wait to see lots of shots with the dwarf puffers in there.. I used to keep them myself.. they are so cute.

Awsome tank! I hear plants dont do to well in sand though... :huh:

I went with sand, because dwarf puffer's skin is too delicate for gravel. The plants should be fine since the only reason I could imagine is for nutrients. There is a layer of Miracle Gro Organic Choice under the sand. I know it sounds crazy, but its FW plant/fish safe :)

I have some bad news... There is nearly no way for me to get the puffers. Online they would be 50-70 dollars for a group of 5. My LFS is retarded and is trying to find some, but they won't... :/ they have been looking for about 3 weeks. Petco will not special order FW fish. Ugh! I bought some FW fish (guppies and neons) so I have something to look at, but if I run into a source for dwarf puffers, I can dump the other fish into my dad's tank.

I know right? I even called the LFS in Columbia, which is about 60-70 mile away. I could check the places in Atlanta, but I won't get to go there for a while.

I went with sand, because dwarf puffer's skin is too delicate for gravel. The plants should be fine since the only reason I could imagine is for nutrients. There is a layer of Miracle Gro Organic Choice under the sand. I know it sounds crazy, but its FW plant/fish safe :)

I have some bad news... There is nearly no way for me to get the puffers. Online they would be 50-70 dollars for a group of 5. My LFS is retarded and is trying to find some, but they won't... :/ they have been looking for about 3 weeks. Petco will not special order FW fish. Ugh! I bought some FW fish (guppies and neons) so I have something to look at, but if I run into a source for dwarf puffers, I can dump the other fish into my dad's tank.

Miracle Gro...Fish safe...Whoa!! Is it specialized for fishtanks? :blink:

Thats horrible about the puffers :o - did you try liveaquaria.com? Their usually really good about their pricing...

Miracle Gro...Fish safe...Whoa!! Is it specialized for fishtanks? :blink:

Thats horrible about the puffers :o - did you try liveaquaria.com? Their usually really good about their pricing...

It has to be Organic choice w/o fertilizers

Ya, actually live aquaria is the most expensive place I found. The sell them at 7 dollars a pop!!! Anyways most places make you order 35 dollars+ before they'll ship anything. By then it is not worth it...

It has to be Organic choice w/o fertilizers

Ya, actually live aquaria is the most expensive place I found. The sell them at 7 dollars a pop!!! Anyways most places make you order 35 dollars+ before they'll ship anything. By then it is not worth it...

Oh, ok! Interesting... :happy:

Wow, compared to my LFS live aquaria has good pricing- of course minus the shipping.

...I need to get around to finally planting my FW tank, I've been wanting to do so for about a year, but when I was about to start I got distracted with nano-reefs! ;)

Here's a video of my FW tank a couple of months ago, though it still looks the same:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bfgMf2wphE

Well, things I have learned from this tank:

1) just use flourite... potting soil is too much work to clean and keep down (it floats, so whenever I disturb the sandbed, I get bits flying everywhere)

2) CO2 is a good investment, but excel works ok until you can afford it

3) FW is sooo... much cheaper than SW. I FILLED my tank with plants for the price of 1-2 frags!

EDIT: "FW is so much cheaper" except for dwarf puffers lol!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

So, someone I know is ordering from liveaquaria, and I am going to split shipping with him :) That means I get dwarf puffers!!! God, I hope they are in stock by then!!!

All my anacharis died from excel dosing, but I never thought it was that pretty anyways. However, my cabomba has taken off tremendously.

Words are just jibjab, so here's the pics ;)

DSCN0928.jpg

DSCN0932.jpg

DSCN0933.jpg

DSCN0930.jpg

DSCN0938.jpg

lessergeneration
looks great! its gonna be pretty sweet with dwarf puffers in it, although I thought they needed brackish for long term.

nope they are 100% FW fish :), thats whats great about them. plus they are cute as cna be when they just swim in little circles.

cant wait to see the puffers! I recently got back into freshwater and redid my neglected discus tank, so i'm pretty interested in this build.

:ninja: I'LL BE WATCHING YOUR PROGRESS :ninja:

I love discus! They look so pretty. My LFS has like a 200g shallow cube with discus. I say I would keep them, but I would probably get a fahaka puffer.... :)

So, I checked the shipping status this morning. (It shipped last night) And it says the order was cancelled!?!?!?! Ugh and since I live on the east coast, I cant call until 10:30? If I don't get a package today, someone's gonna get pummeled!

Helga_006.jpg

Got my package today. It got delayed in Memphis, TN due to weather. Well when it arrived, all the puffers were dead as a doornail. :(

I have to say, however, they are sending the order again no problem. We're trying again on Monday.

Packaging was decent. Insulated box and heat pack. Heat pack was cold by the time I got it.

IMG_0074.jpg

Poor fellows :'(

IMG_0082.jpg

irondragon013

Sorry about the dead fish. My buddy and I split an order with them for cuc and almost didn't get them due to the ice storm last month. I was able to pick them up though so no losses.

Tank looks great even with out fish

gulfsurfer101

Sucks to see that happen to you after coming so close. We kept them before and my wife loved those guys. I aclimated a brackish puffer to full marine in a tank with two large marine puffers. They were like the three amigo's. What is that layer of black stuff under the sand and does it help keep plants alive without the use of co2 or what.

Archived