SaltCritters.com

Deano's 20L tank

Deano

Something must be spooking them at night some loud sound or something

I think it probably was my Cherub Angel. It can be a bit of an jerk. I think the thing has OCD . Some days it will pace the back glass all day long other days it goes around nipping at everything insight.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My newest addition to my little 20l. I have been eying this Tangaroa Goby at my LFS for several weeks now. It is a stunning little fish but also very camouflaged so I was worried about buying a fish no will will ever notice but me. So I bought this for ME!.

IMAG0253-1-1.jpg

IMAG0250-1.jpg

IMAG0248.jpg

Nice Tangaroa! They are one of my favorite gobies :happydance:

Thanks, I was a bit hesitant adding it since it is so hard to see against the sand bottom. But now that I have it in my tank I don't regret it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Deano I know u have posted in my dwarf angelfish thread but it has been awhile, and I was wondering if u would still recommend a cherub angelfish. There has been a slight change of plans and I will now have an Ocellaris clownfish and Midas blenny before I put in the angelfish. I'm just concerned that the angelfish will be very aggressive and beat up my clownfish and blenny. What do you think? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Deano I know u have posted in my dwarf angelfish thread but it has been awhile, and I was wondering if u would still recommend a cherub angelfish. There has been a slight change of plans and I will now have an Ocellaris clownfish and Midas blenny before I put in the angelfish. I'm just concerned that the angelfish will be very aggressive and beat up my clownfish and blenny. What do you think? Thanks.

Sorry I missed this post. I wouldn't worry about it. Although my Cherub can be a bit over active. He doesn't really pick on the other fish it is just he is like a out of controlled kid at Chucky Cheez.

Well I continue to have problems with what SPS corals I HAD left. More RTN. I am losing my acans and I lost my entire Hydnophora. Everything else is doing great.

I think I have figured out my problem though. I have been dosing ALK using the BRS Alk. Most likely I am overdosing. Not saying anything is wrong with BRS Alk but I think I will go back to the Seachem Aquavitro Alk. I never had a overdose concern with it.

• 2 weeks later...
i've wanted a panda, but i heard they have special diet requirements...you know anything about that?

Your concern about this fish is well founded. So let me expand more on my decision to try one. Like most salt water enthusiasts I have always had the desire to own a Mandarin Goby but we all know there reputation. Lately I read more and more about people successfully getting them to adapt to aquarium life. So I decide to build a system with this desire in mind. I plumb the following 10 gal tank into my 135 g system let it run for a couple months with only a few nice pieces of LR and coral frags plus a few snails and crabs in it. Not because I was concerned about cycling the tank since it is on a established system, but to make sure it had a good growth of pods. Since the tank is now crawling with tons of pods I lately have been on the look out for a healthy Mandarin candid and then I ran across this Panda Goby at my favorite Petco, yes Petco. Their are truly a few good Petcos out there. Since I already had a established system running that would have a good chance of housing the Panda and these are very rare to find especially in a LFS I bought it. Cost is not the issue nor should it be the reason to buy a fish but for $16.00 it was a great deal compared to trying to buy online with shipping cost.

You can actually see the Panda in the LH rear corner of the tank.

IMAG0378.jpg

I would put these in the same category as a Mandarin Goby. Since they are not near as popular as the Mandarin and there is not as much documented information on them the verdict is still out on these in my opinion. Due to their size and the fact they are said to be very shy I would not put them in a tank with anything but fish with the same temperament. It is my hopes even if I can not get it to feed on prepared foods it will have plenty to eat in this tank due to its size with out supplemental feedings. I have read about a few people that have keep them for a year or a bit more. They say they rarely see them and are surprised when they do see them. The surprise is usually that it is still alive. I think if you put it into a system with large fish that are aggressive feeders you will never see it but in a smaller tank with a few non aggressive fish it will fill more comfortable. The 10 gal does have a shark nose Goby. It eats flake food like a pig and is not aggressive to the Panda so I think this is a good start. Since I lost the Shark Nose in my 20 l I will be moving the one in my10 g to my 20l. If the Panda does good I might even consider moving it to my 20L but time will tell on the Panda. As for my Mandarin desires they are on hold for now until I have a chance to see how the Panda works out. If the Panda starts eating prepared food or show signs of growth I will most likely try a Mandarin.

• 1 month later...

Regrettably the Panda has gone MIA. I could not get it to feed on anything I put into the tank. I suspect it perished and since it was so small the crabs took care of it in no time. Never again will I try that. I am now debating trying to even do this with a Mandarin.

Currently I am quarantining a beautiful McCosker's flasher wrasse and Tail Spot Blenny in the 10g. Both appearer happy, healthy and look great. In a couple weeks I will be moving these to my 20 long since I have recently lost the Filament fin wrasse and my Shark Nose in the 20l. I was going to trap the Filament fin wrasse and move it to my 135 gal because it was getting to big for the 20l but it died. It was eating great and looked healthy until lately its belly started bulging. I suspect it had some kind of internal parasite.

Archived