Coral Vue Hydros

Deano's 20L tank

Deano

The rock the Goby and shrimp live under has 3 large frilly/hairy mushrooms (Rhodactis) on it. Currently they are splitting so they are a bit stressed but once these things get settled in it will grow very large and take up the whole RH corner of this tank. The open part right in front where you can see the rock is where one of the large polyps is splitting.

I have 3 very large colonies of this in my 135g tank. They are almost to the point of being a nuisance but I love them so much I will not get rid of them. If you go back to the full tank shot of my 135 you can see the 2 colonies one is on the RH side just off the SB below the large Frogspawn coral right of the white bubble coral. This colony is huge. The other is high on the LH side up against the overflow. I guess I now have 2 large colonies in the 135 because the 3 is now in the 20L. :o:happy:

I am bit concerned about the shrimp I don't ever see it feeding. Do you think I should squirt some mysis shrimp into the burrow at night?

My sump is up and running so far so good. I will post some operating picture tomorrow.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Post up a thread for your 135g! :o

Definetly shoot some mysis into the pistol shrimp's burrow.

Thanks, I would start a thread on the 135 but it has been running for a decade and is pretty much on auto pilot. Other then pictures I don't think the thread would be as interesting as a build thread.

I'll conceder it but if you see something in the FTS you want a closer look at I will be happy to post some shots. The tank is predominately LPS. It has a very large Rose BTA, but when I took the photo in this thread the stupid thing was spawning and shrunk all up.

Thanks, It is finally getting braver and I see it out quite a bit now, plus it is eating everytime I feed the tank.

I have the sump ironed out and the tank is off the 135. Now onto the stand.

WOW what a setup deano!!! I love your design, i am thinking of starting the same tank and may have to use some of your ideas ;)

Thanks! :happy: You are welcome to use whatever you want. ;)

This is a fanstastic setup. I can't wait to see this thing in a few more months. I love seeing lots of forethought in designs like this....I'm sure it will pay off.

-D

This is a fanstastic setup. I can't wait to see this thing in a few more months. I love seeing lots of forethought in designs like this....I'm sure it will pay off.

-D

Thanks, A well planned system makes life much easier. Of course as long as I have been in this hobby I have made just about every mistake that a person can make.

I need to get started on my stand now just been to busy. Hopefully soon!

Just got done checking out your thread tank is looking great. I went with the same light fixture for my 27g cube I went with Wave Point bulbs. I have the same bulbs over my breeder and just like the color. The rockwall looks awsome as well. PM me with details on the ATO I would like to give it a try.

Just got done checking out your thread tank is looking great. I went with the same light fixture for my 27g cube I went with Wave Point bulbs. I have the same bulbs over my breeder and just like the color. The rockwall looks awsome as well. PM me with details on the ATO I would like to give it a try.

Thanks for looking. I sent you a PM.

All it takes for this ATO is a simple container to fit the application. I made mine myself from the same acyclic I used for the rest of my build. Glued it together with Weld On 3. Drilled a hole in the box where I wanted to place the Kent Float valve and made a acrylic stand to set the box on at the water level I wanted it in the sump. Fill the box with water and let evaporation and gravity do the rest. It is that simple and maintenance free, other then the obvious adding water to it as needed. :)

Keep in mind with a sump system like mine the water will always drop due to evap. on the return/pump end of the sump. So this is where you want your ATO valve placed be it mechanical or electrical.

Tonight after work I will pull the sump ATO box out and upload a picture to show just how simple this thing is.

Here are some update photos of the tank. I recently added a new rock structure. This structure is solid since I use ice maker hose to connect it together. I drilled 1/4" holes into the rocks and slid it together using the hose to hold the structure together.

I wanted this structure to arch over my mushroom rock that the Goby and Shrimp live under but in the end I would have had to move the sroom rock and it would have distrubed the Goby and Shrimp to much so I comprimised and put the structure in the middle.

I am starting to get some good coraline algae growth and my Derasa Clam is growing at a alarming fast pace, it has added a 1/4" of shell since I added it to the system.

01/11/2011

IMAG0341.jpg

IMAG0345.jpg

IMAG0344.jpg

IMAG0342.jpg

Thanks, I could due with a few less of these mushrooms in my 135. I like them to much to treat them like a nuisance, to bad you are in Canada.

Yeah no kidding... that is the sucky thing.. though.... my parents are in Florida right now until the end of March/beginning of April.. hmmmmmm

To bad you couldn't have them pick you up a few things while they are there. Probably a pain getting through customs with some live corals.

Yeah, it would be... it depends on how thorough customs checks stuff. I actually want to see if they can bring up an order of CUC from Reefcleaners for me. They aren't corals, so there shouldn't be too much of an issue. John's stuff is soooooo much cheaper than anything I can get up here in Canada.

Yeah, it would be... it depends on how thorough customs checks stuff. I actually want to see if they can bring up an order of CUC from Reefcleaners for me. They aren't corals, so there shouldn't be too much of an issue. John's stuff is soooooo much cheaper than anything I can get up here in Canada.

I wish you luck!

How about some eye candy. Some random shots I took this evening. Added a frag of Hammer and some kind of acan or blasto, not sure. Not sure why my Yuma is not happy in this tank. I have 4 of these in my 135 and they expand nice and big.

DSCN0291.jpg

DSCN0285.jpg

Shots of my Blennie's. These guys are a great addition to the tank. Fun to watch! One of them took to the Barnacles as I wanted but the other decided it liked living in a piece of filter media I used to glue a frag to. So I took the frag off of the media and let the Blenny have it. Seems to be quite content. It was comical to watch, when both Blennies tried to get into that small hole at the same time. In the end the one went back to its Barnacle and this one stayed in the media.

DSCN0283.jpg

DSCN0274.jpg

DSCN0273.jpg

DSCN0282.jpg

DSCN0281.jpg

DSCN0277.jpg

DSCN0275.jpg

that's one small hammer! awsome barnacle blenny.

Thanks for looking, right now the hammer is kind of PO'ed since cutting it from the main colony, but it is a small frag. It actually has 2 heads so hopefully in a few days it will settle in and expand more. I recommend barnacle blennies to anyone with a small tank. They eat well and are pretty small. They stay in there hiding hole all the time with there heads poking out. When you feed them the fun starts. They will dart from there hole in a flash, grab something to eat and race back to the hole. It's comical to watch.

Archived