Trash bin FTW!!! refugium/back-chamber/whatever you call it

A lot of changes to this tank. Too lazy to do a write up. Pictures...enjoy :P

FTS 12/30/2011
DSC_0647.jpg
DSC_0646.jpg

DSC_0588.jpg
DSC_0656.jpg
Corals
I mainly keep LPS and Softies. I've had some SPS in the past.........but....they died :P Not my fault though, they were dead on arrival.

DSC_0411.jpg
DSC_0401.jpg
DSC_0418.jpg
DSC_0336.jpg
DSC_0329.jpg

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NoChikenStrips

I had a bad start with a Biocube14. The thread is somewhere here on NR but nothing worth raving about. I had a poop load of glass Anemone. I struggled with hair algea, cyano, and flatworms. Tank went 10 months without a water change as i just completely gave up on it. I lost all passion and motivation for reef keeping. Monthly profiles are the only thing that brings me back to this hobby.

Ok so the start fresh i picked up a new 40b on craiglist for $50. I've been abusing the search button on what lighting to get for the past 2 weeks. With this Black friday sale lasting until monday, it's my time to make the purchase and stick with it.

NoChikenStrips

Such a hard decision to make on the lighting. I was really interested in the par38 and have been for a while. But after many hours of researching, i've come down to two options. T5 or par38....After many hours beating myself to come up with a decision, i've decided to go with a 4 bulb 36" T5 setup.

Ordered a sunlight supply tek light t5 36" 4x39watt with bulbs for $283.01 from BRS. Was gonna go for the 6 bulb but it seems most forums(including this) says it's overkill.

here are my bulbs

2x ATI blue+

Midday Giesemann 6000k

KZ Fiji Purple

Does anyone know how this will look?

I can't afford the legs or suspension system. Just gonna ghetto rig with whatever i got until i can afford/build something nicer.

Such a hard decision to make on the lighting. I was really interested in the par38 and have been for a while. But after many hours of researching, i've come down to two options. T5 or par38....After many hours beating myself to come up with a decision, i've decided to go with a 4 bulb 36" T5 setup.

Ordered a sunlight supply tek light t5 36" 4x39watt with bulbs for $283.01 from BRS. Was gonna go for the 6 bulb but it seems most forums(including this) says it's overkill.

here are my bulbs

2x ATI blue+

Midday Giesemann 6000k

KZ Fiji Purple

Does anyone know how this will look?

I can't afford the legs or suspension system. Just gonna ghetto rig with whatever i got until i can afford/build something nicer.

Welcome to 40b club. That light should be just great. As far as bulb combo i cant comment, trying to figure out my own.

Good luck

gg

NoChikenStrips

Thanks gutterguy. I don't know what a 40b club is :lol:

Finally got a chance to work on the stand today.

I decided on a 2x4 frame becuase its super cheap. 8 foot 2x4 is only $1.50

I don't have a table saw so i had to inprovise using quick grip style clamps.

1.jpg

For making straight cuts on 2x4 and plywood, i used a long angle steel

2.jpg

4x 30"

4x 36-1/8"

4x 15-3/16"

3.jpg

making sure everything is leveled(shim if necessary)before screwing in the vertical support legs to the bottom frame.

5.jpg

Pretty basic frame with plywood.

9.jpg

7.jpg

10.jpg

Other than that, just gotta use wood filler to fill in a the cracks, trims, nail holes. Oh...and paint...

Total cost is around $26 for eveything not including tools, which i'm returning<--tsk

Is that last picture the top of the stand? If so, are you going to place some plywood over the shims or something? You don't want to put the tank directly on the shims, it will cause uneven stress on the plastic rim which is no bueno.

NoChikenStrips
Is that last picture the top of the stand? If so, are you going to place some plywood over the shims or something? You don't want to put the tank directly on the shims, it will cause uneven stress on the plastic rim which is no bueno.

Those few peices of shims are just for reference. I still need to cut full length shims tommorro but i'm debating on using foam strips or not. I see alot of people using foam strips but i don't know if that works. I'm just going to be safe and cut full length shims

Those few peices of shims are just for reference. I still need to cut full length shims tommorro but i'm debating on using foam strips or not. I see alot of people using foam strips but i don't know if that works. I'm just going to be safe and cut full length shims

Ok, just checking. Didn't want that to cause you a future problem. Looks good so far.

NoChikenStrips

My lighting came in today along with 15lbs of BRS Fiji eco rock.

P1012754.jpg

P1012757.jpg

It's just amazing how bright this light is. It's like discovering sliced bread for me. I got curious an decided to test it on my bc14.

P1012769.jpg

Anyways i still have a long long long way to go. Still waiting on the paint to dry on my ghetto stand.

Looks good but the way you built the stand all the weight from your tank is being held by the screws alone.Not so good :o .Check out other peeps stands or search joints(No not that kind)and youll see what i mean.

Have fun and good luck :) .

NoChikenStrips
Looks good but the way you built the stand all the weight from your tank is being held by the screws alone.Not so good :o .Check out other peeps stands or search joints(No not that kind)and youll see what i mean.

Have fun and good luck :) .

Thanks b.c.

I know exactly what you mean by having the weight on the 4 post instead. I originally wanted to build it similar to Drew's

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=253041

To have the vertical post directly under the top frame would be really difficult for me as i do not have a table saw and no way to cut it perfectly flush and leveled. Most of my cuts look like a## to tell you the truth :( . I just said "F" it, stuck a few shims to level it, clamp, and screw to make it leveled. Threw in as much screws as i can in each coner for insurance.

Thanks b.c.

I know exactly what you mean by having the weight on the 4 post instead. I originally wanted to build it similar to Drew's

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=253041

To have the vertical post directly under the top frame would be really difficult for me as i do not have a table saw and no way to cut it perfectly flush and leveled. Most of my cuts look like a## to tell you the truth :( . I just said "F" it, stuck a few shims to level it, clamp, and screw to make it leveled. Threw in as much screws as i can in each coner for insurance.

Mine is no way near perfect. I just used a circular saw to cut everything as well. The long rip cuts for the skin was really difficult. I purchased a small square/saw giude for cutting the posts the supports and it did a really good job. I also used lowes for some of the cuts for the skin, but they do a ####ty job as well.

One of my posts was not level so I used a drum sander attachment for my drill and leveled it out that way.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...241513&st=0

NoChikenStrips
Mine is no way near perfect. I just used a circular saw to cut everything as well. The long rip cuts for the skin was really difficult. I purchased a small square/saw giude for cutting the posts the supports and it did a really good job. I also used lowes for some of the cuts for the skin, but they do a ####ty job as well.

One of my posts was not level so I used a drum sander attachment for my drill and leveled it out that way.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...241513&st=0

I had a bad experience building a workbench before. When it came time to screw everything together, the entire bench was bent and warped in everyway posible.

You probably dont want to do anymore wood work but you can cut a piece of 1/2" plywood and fasten to the top of the stand and that would help disperse the weight.

Also check the level of the spot you are going to put the stand. If your stand is racked and your floor is not level you can run into a major pain

^^+1.or you could cut 8 pieces and slide them in between the top and bottom frame and screw them in.Just an idea.

I would sleep better at night. :)

I was going to build it like Drews also,but i used 2x4s instead.

Im a thick headed stubborn Sicilian. :haha:

• 2 months later...
NoChikenStrips

Boring updates. Not much changes. I didn't want to spray paint the back so i picked up a 3 dollar roll of black decal.

P1012982.jpg

P1012985.jpg

P1013005.jpg

P1013006.jpg

My chitty craftsmanship looks good from far away.............but far from good.

• 2 months later...
NoChikenStrips

I found the subcurent filter a pain in the arse to use so i decided to go with the AIO route....using a trash bin!

For anyone who decides to use a trashbin, make sure you know your plastic types. You reallly don't want to leach any nasties... Check the bottom of the trashbin for a recyclable symbol along with a number inside the symbol. Stay away from #3,#6, and #7. If it doesn't have one, don't use it.

Anyways, this thing is pretty big. With a 16 inch tall first chamber, i have more than enough room to run floss, and all your chemical media. The other chambers are for future plans.

P1013031.jpg

P1013034.jpg

P1013042.jpg

P1013045.jpg

P1013048.jpg

Stand turned out nice.

I like the AIO trash can idea. You may very well be the first person to do that (or first one I've seen at least).

Archived