ReefCleaners.org

The other tank.... 15 gallons of amazing.

Coastie

So I was told to start another tank thread for my newest addition and since it is in it's infancy I figured I might as well:

So I started with this:

IMG_20101120_213200.jpg

This was the result (still impressed I got the bottom off in 1 piece):

IMG_20101121_154332.jpg

Initial results:

IMG_20101121_153932.jpg

The water test in the garage:

IMG_20101123_001320.jpg

Location test:

IMG_20101123_214743.jpg

Oooohhhh sand:

IMG_20101124_010854.jpg

Water!:

IMG_20101124_023057.jpg

Going to toss some rock in there randomly and let it cycle. I am loving the dimensions of the 15 and loving it rimless even more.

I am basically using leftover equipment from my old tank, simple and basic. Lighting is a coralife 2 bulb T5 fixture. The bulbs are 1 actinic blue coralife 24W and Coralife powerglo 24 watt.

I am going to use an AC70 fuge that I was using prior to adding the sump on my 25 gallon and have a ridiculously cheap koralia nano 425 on the way (Bigalsonline.com black friday sale)

Stocking plans are 2 clowns and maybe a clown goby. Some low light corals will probably be added.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you plan on adding a cover? One of my onyx clowns jumped out last week....never again will I trust a fish! Hah

Add a screen cover. My lovely expensive s'more clown also went carpet surfing.

wow.. I wasn't really planning on getting a cover but hearing that is making me reconsider. I am going to have to think of the most awesome way to add a cover ever. If I do it. Not saying I am not going to but keeping this tank simple is the goal. I may just keep the water level lower. It may not prevent a determined fish from committing suicide but prevent one that doesn't know any better.

IMG_20101124_133014.jpg

Also tossed in some rock I had sitting out. This cycle will probably take a while.

I would definitely recommend making a screen cover. I just made one for my 20 gallon long and I think it still looks very sleek and simple and gives my peace-of-mind. Learning from experience, it is a terrible feeling when you lose a nice fish because they jump out.

lol.. my hatchetfish in my freshwater tank is lucky.. i heard him go carpet surfing and saved him..

However i have a hood and everything on that the little bastage snuck out near my hob aquaclear lmao

I am still debating on a lid.... I think I decided the stocking list is changing. I think it's just going to be a shrimp/goby pair and maybe something like a damsel. I bought a damsel but I think he was shaken up too much by the guy at the fish store.. He is still alive but not swimming correctly at all... I doubt he'll make it. I'll talk to the guy at the store maybe I can get him replaced for free.

Please go cover... I've lost a black clown, a false perc, a 6 line wrasse, and a GDME to floor surfing before I got my lazy ass to get a cover.

I love:

1) The water test with the towel underneath. Bwahahaha. If that thing exploded, a towel would be, erm, insufficient.

2) The fish on the wall.

3) The beer by the tank.

It looks awesome though! Ryan forgot to bring the razor blades last night, turd, so my glass is still all messy. I did sand the edges to keep myself from getting sliced, but it still leaves big marks on my arm if I rest it on the edge, FYI.

I love:

1) The water test with the towel underneath. Bwahahaha. If that thing exploded, a towel would be, erm, insufficient.

2) The fish on the wall.

3) The beer by the tank.

1) The towel was to keep the now rimless tank from getting scratched or chipped.... The location was in case it exploded.

2) The fish is to keep the other fish from jumping

3) The CUC looked thirsty

• 2 months later...

IMG_0578.jpg

Since I have neglected this thread for so long, hell I neglected the tank too. I left this tank on semi auto pilot during my hiatus to New Orleans. I have finally scaped it and even added a fish. There is a high fin goby in there that loves to play peek-a-boo. I tossed some crappy zoas from the 40 in there and will be adding others from my newly placed Mr Coral order soon!

Hopefully I can find a candy cane pistol locally to pair up with the goby. Also this tank has a few flatworms and some INSANE amount of pods. Anyone have any ideas for a smaller, less likely to jump fish that eats pods/flat worms?

I tossed some crappy zoas from the 40 in there and will be adding others from my newly placed Mr Coral order soon!

Yaaaay, Mr. Coral! I almost forgot what I ordered, but I'm still excited!

why does that not surprise me? haha

Amazingly enough, I am not retarded. But I will say it was confusing figuring out who ordered what when there were 3 of us putting stuff in the cart at the same time!

New additions! Can't find them in the tank yet.... So

IMG_0608.jpg

Got them both for $20.33 :o

These guys are littttlllleeeee, here's a quarter in the picture for size reference.

IMG_0609.jpg

Wow, with the quarter there for comparison...:blink: They really ARE tiny!

I hope your shrimp buddies up with your goby soon. I'll be following along. You already have 3 of my "must have" inhabitants (Hi Fin Goby, Pistol Shrimp, Pom Pom Crab).

Also, very awesome that you went rimless and that it worked out so well!

Thanks you two! I almost tore this tank down and got rid of it! I am certainly glad I didn't!

I am not sure what has happened thus far as the shrimp is still new to the tank but the den where the goby is normally has a suspicious amount of substrate on it... Considering there is now a wall of sand there.

Fingers crossed! I am hoping the shrimp causes the goby to be more visible.

Archived