inTank Media Baskets

chemi pure vs. chemi pure elite....

DRE127

so why not just get chemipure elite? Ive never used anything other than aqua clear activated carbon and a small protien skimmer and occasionally poly filter and or filter floss...

if i'm not mistaken, elite is carbon + GFO.. carbon is the black pellets, GFO is the brownish mushy stuff..

bulk gfo is best used in a reactor as any tumbling action will pulverize it.. chemipure elite is easy.. just drop it in.

yeah i saw that online when i looked up where to buy just gfo....... im just asking why would you run just gfo when you could run it already mixed in with AC up in chemipure elite.....

im just running two small tanks no need to buy bulk gfo correct.......?

the chemi pure elite comes in a jar with a bag mixed right?

yeah i saw that online when i looked up where to buy just gfo....... im just asking why would you run just gfo when you could run it already mixed in with AC up in chemipure elite.....

im just running two small tanks no need to buy bulk gfo correct.......?

the chemi pure elite comes in a jar with a bag mixed right?

When people run GFO its typically in a reactor. In a reactor, you need to set the water flow so that it moves alot but not enough to escape. Since GFO is far finer than most carbon its hard to run both in one reactor.

edit

As for why they do it its because GFO (and most chemical media) is far more effective at removing phosphates and nitrates in reactors because the way it makes the media bounce. Carbon also doesnt remove phophates and is mostly for cleaning up any alleopathy or other toxins in the tank as well as that gunk that makes your water yellow.

I run Chemi-pure Elite in a phosban reactor for my 24 gallon AP. It's pretty cool stuff, but I don't trust the packaging that says you don't need to change it for something like 6 months. I change mine out every 4-6 weeks and I used to run carbon and gfo in media bags, but the Chemi-pure Elite seems to keep my water more crystal clear. Not sure what kind of magic potion they put in there:) lol

i didn't mean to get this discussion started. sorry.

i just wanted to throw GFO out there because for me i have had better luck with it in a reactor than i did with chemi-pure elite.

i didn't mean to get this discussion started. sorry.

i just wanted to throw GFO out there because for me i have had better luck with it in a reactor than i did with chemi-pure elite.

I'm sure it's not a problem and to be honest I also run just carbon and gfo in my 95 gallon because it's cheaper than Chemi-Pure Elite. I just hate measuring stuff, so the Chemi-pure comes in a nifty little container. It's a lot easier to over do things in the nano vs. my 95 gallon. I think it's all preference.

yes, comes in a bag that is packaged for shipping inside a jar. It is much more than just carbon and GFO though.

I think you may be right about it being more than gfo and gac but what is the "more"?

I used chemipure elite in my solana and then got a brs reactor and now mix gac and gfo in the reactor. Health of the tank is about the same but the water doesn't have that crystally clarity it had with the chemipure elite. I plan to switch to just gfo in the reactor and use chemipure in the first solana chamber. I have a hob skimmer.

I've tried chemi-pure elite 3 times now and it does nothing in terms of eliminating or lowering phosphates. It sounds good but in reality the gfo placed in will exhaust itself in a matter of days. The plain chemi-pure seems to do a good job with my water clarity though. The "elite" is just a marketing gimmick that most of us fall for.

I've tried chemi-pure elite 3 times now and it does nothing in terms of eliminating or lowering phosphates. It sounds good but in reality the gfo placed in will exhaust itself in a matter of days. The plain chemi-pure seems to do a good job with my water clarity though. The "elite" is just a marketing gimmick that most of us fall for.

What you say about elite makes sense. It can't have more than a few onces of GFO and GFO needs some flow which is why it's best used in a reactor. Sounds like you need a gfo reactor. I never had much of a phosphate problem so elite was fine for me. For tanks without reactors I think elite is better than nothing.

What you say about elite makes sense. It can't have more than a few onces of GFO and GFO needs some flow which is why it's best used in a reactor. Sounds like you need a gfo reactor. I never had much of a phosphate problem so elite was fine for me. For tanks without reactors I think elite is better than nothing.

Elite didn't lower my phosphates one bit, but my friend with a phosban reactor running GFO, lowered his in a matter of days. I used the hanna checker day after day right after I place it in and nothing happened. Maybe it might work in a picotope with a minor amount of phosphates but even then it'll still exhaust itself relatively fast. For some reason people on here act like it's this amazing product, but they never have any proof that it helped their tank. It clears the water up and that's it, but even then it still traps nitrates.

Elite didn't lower my phosphates one bit, but my friend with a phosban reactor running GFO, lowered his in a matter of days. I used the hanna checker day after day right after I place fit in and nothing happened. Maybe it might work in a picotope with a minor amount of phosphates but even then it'll still exhaust itself relatively fast. For some reason people on here act like it's this amazing product, but they never have any proof that it helped their tank. It clears the water up and that's it, but even then it still traps nitrates.

You might consider getting involved with the brs group buy for their reactor. If you're not up for getting a reactor they also have gfo pellets for use in bags.

Archived