Innovative Marine Aquariums

Getting rid of red and green hair algae

Fluffeh

i hear peroxide does wonders getting rid of the hair algae .. it oxidizes it and doesnt harm the rock or corals that are on it :) ( just do it outside of the tank and give it a quick rinse before sticking it back in the tank)

a good working snail is always a plus though

That sounds like it kills bacteria as well. I would be careful when doing this to large rocks in the tank.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 years later...
InquiringMind

My girlfriend has a salt water tank, she’s had this problem for a few months now. She has two clowns and one other fish in there and a snail. Just recently she tried scrubbing the live rock and the red algae came right back within days. One of the guys gave her the name for what it’s called but I can’t remember what it was. 

Has anyone tried Turbo snails with red algae? I want to help, I just have new clue about any of this. Thanks all!

If you have tried everything else (ie Turbo Snails, reduced lighting, feeding less, bumping up various clean up crew members, etc.) and had no joy, then Fluconazole is definitely the way to go.  I tried it out a couple of months ago and let my tank run with a single dose for my size of tank and then let it sit for a month.  Fluconazole specifically targets Bryopsis (the hair algae family) and leaves everything else alone (Coraline algae and my Chaeto were perfectly fine and growing during the whole time it was running).  You will see a spike at the end with all the nitrates and phosphates released (so you do a big water change once done to counter this).  Anyways this is what my tank looked like before (notice all the hairy gunk in the pores of the rocks):

Here is what it looked like after the dose: