Coral Vue Hydros

DIY LED JBJ NC 28 -> Now with 100% more macros AND a NEW FTS! weeeeeee.....

dhraakoxr

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whelp I finally jumped on the bandwagon and what a sweet sweet one it is.

IMG_1571.jpg?t=1298860577

I mounted the controller to the door of the stand. It seemed like a pretty good place for it:

IMG_1575r2.jpg?t=1298860894

I'm really enjoying this thing and its functionality! Not sure of what mode I'll ultimately run it in.. but for now the 'tidal swell mode' has my vote.

Anyone have any opinions on what mode they run in their tanks?

I like reef crest for the time being.

+1

I dig reef crest

Thanks on the feedback. I've read a lot of people say they like reef crest. Good to know. I really don't know how I can quantitatively figure out which one is the best unless I try each mode over weeks. TDS seems to keep the bed clean AND activate movement on all the corals in the tank. I guess I'll try NTN and reef crest mode as well to see if the movement is better/worse and go from there.

What do you run your flow at on the MP10? I'm at the forth LED currently.. so like 400GPHish I guess?

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up opting for reef crest mode. It's been been nice... my GSP up top has some CRAZY cool movements going on. It actually looks like it's pushed side to side and back and forth like a wave would do. Love this damn mp10!

Ok more pics.

I got a few more acans so here they are:

New one on the left and in the middle... pretty cool because the external strips are actually blue which is neat.

IMG_1608.jpg?t=1299862981

IMG_1600r2.jpg?t=1299862983

:wub: :

IMG_1604.jpg?t=1299862981

No clue what these two are doing but I liked the pic:

IMG_1609.jpg?t=1299862983

And a poker star!!! I just put it in its final home and am looking forward to encrustation:

IMG_1612.jpg?t=1299862985

Apparently my magnesium was super low despite coral growth looking great so I changed that over a few weeks to be at 1350-1400 and now I'm adjusting my Ca to be around 420-430 and alk to be 9.

Before all this I was at an Mg of 1175 Ca of 380 and Alk of 9.5 which I wasn't happy with needless to say.

So now I'm sporting an Mg of 1350-1380 a Ca of ~420 and an Alk of what should be 9 when I'm all done and said.

What I don't get is how all my corals were happy regardless of the low Mg and Ca. Regardless, I adjusted everything over the last 3 weeks to be in spec and we'll go from here. My Ca seems to always dip down historically so I may dose more Ca supplement than I already am to maintain it.

Looking good man, love those acans!

Thanks! I like em to! I just wish I could find the best meal for them. I may go back to Mysis. They don't seem to like these Fauna LPS pellets too much.

I feed mine brine shrimp with a turkey baster and they go crazy.

Nice, yeah I think I'll go back the mysis route with them and also I'll try your trick as I do have a turkey baster set aside. Thanks

nice colors!

Thanks!

Wow youve got a pretty spectacular tank! Your coral collection, and your acans in particular, look amazing. Great photography as well!

IMG_0598.jpg?t=1297791296

This picture is incredible! What kind of camera/lenses do you use?

Wow youve got a pretty spectacular tank! Your coral collection, and your acans in particular, look amazing. Great photography as well!

This picture is incredible! What kind of camera/lenses do you use?

Thanks and thanks!

I use a Canon T1i with a 100mm Canon F2.8 Macro lense.

your corals and photos are amazing

Thank you :D

Couple new ones.

These first two were taken with a new lens I got (Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens) so I'm messing around with getting the proper focus and using the correct fstop for the pics.

IMG_2184.jpg?t=1301069198

IMG_2169.jpg?t=1301069201

Another Acan. This one was actually a recovery Acan that got blasted by MH light whoms timer stopped turning it off. I'd say it's progressing nicely. I LOVE the pink violet bulbs on the feeding tentacles.

IMG_2192.jpg?t=1301069199

Where do you find your acans? They are amazing!

Oh and if you ever want to sell that lens of yours let me know ;)

hehehe, a local guy in town. I'm super happy there's someone in town selling Acans like these for really affordable prices.

I'm trying another lens now! It's a Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens .. but I need to get better at using it. So I'm pretty much good to go just need to get better and better with taken em and processin em.

How are you liking the EF-S 17-85mm? Your pictures are lookin pretty sharp

Personally Im a big macro fan (photography not the algae :wizard:), especially when photographing things like my tank inhabitants. When I save up enough Im gunna get the 60mm or 100mm macro

How are you liking the EF-S 17-85mm? Your pictures are lookin pretty sharp

Personally Im a big macro fan (photography not the algae :wizard:), especially when photographing things like my tank inhabitants. When I save up enough Im gunna get the 60mm or 100mm macro

I just pretty much got the lens so I have no real opinion. I know a few people with it and have seen some stunning pics taken with it so I'm happy about that.

As for the macro shot, yeah they're good times. I'd say get the 100mm if you're going to that way you can take some decent close up shots from a view box. Totally your choice though. I'd like to have some more of my acans against the glass because I really like those up close and personal coral shots.

• 2 months later...

Archived