Pod Your Reef

no flow?

SeanK

so i have a torch coral, frogspawn coral, firefish and yasha haze/pistol pair who love coming out when i turn my pumps off.

my torch coral started to get all deflated and stuff and when i turned everything off it started inflating really fast.

is it normal for a tank to prefer no flow?

and should i just keep it so my water is stagnant?

to my knowledge, no one has ever kept a reef tank successfully with zero flow. perhaps if you lessened your flow your corals would respond better than they are now. also, the puffiness and the fish coming out could be learned behavior. there are two reasons to turn off flow: to feed, or to do a waterchange (which stirs up detritus and acts as a feeding).

in other words, if you hear hoofbeats, think horses and not zebras.

Mr. Microscope

You need flow. Just lower yours. Sounds like it might be a little too strong or maybe too unidirectional or whirlpooly. You can try aiming your powerhead at a rock which would break up the flow and create more random currents. What is the size of your tank and what are you using for flow.

You need flow. Just lower yours. Sounds like it might be a little too strong or maybe too unidirectional or whirlpooly. You can try aiming your powerhead at a rock which would break up the flow and create more random currents. What is the size of your tank and what are you using for flow.

its a 40b

and i am using these crappy powerheads that are like 200ish gph (had them laying around)

i have 3 of them

Archived