SaltCritters.com

Best K* temp for coral growth.,SPS in particular

nano_keeper30

nano_keeper30

So soon I will be setting up 2 large frag tanks, about 48x48x10-12H.

I am looking into lighting options right now but I would really like to know what everyones opinions and experiences are with a set color temp as I am going to be going with MH systems for the SPS tank,

What color temp seems to work the best in this situation for pure grow results on SPS ?

Thanks in advance !

So soon I will be setting up 2 large frag tanks, about 48x48x10-12H.

I am looking into lighting options right now but I would really like to know what everyones opinions and experiences are with a set color temp as I am going to be going with MH systems for the SPS tank,

What color temp seems to work the best in this situation for pure grow results on SPS ?

Thanks in advance !

Lamps with the highest PAR are currently, to my knowledge, a 6500K (Iwasaki) and 10000K (XM) lamp. The former has a slight edge on the 10000K, but it is not far behind at all. I would say go for the 10000K for aesthetic reasons, as the 6500K is a bit too yellow. At least the XM emits a nice white light (IMHO). Some feel even it is too yellow, but I haven't noticed that in terms of the actual light emitted. Very slightly yellowed water (which wouldn't normally be visible with bluer light) will make it appear that way, however.

It's not the same as it used to be. Color temperature doesn't always dictate growth potential. Case in point, Phoenix 14K (more like 20K), and Radium 20K bulbs are very high PAR, with typically only the higher end 10K bulbs beating them in terms of PAR output.

It's not the same as it used to be. Color temperature doesn't always dictate growth potential. Case in point, Phoenix 14K (more like 20K), and Radium 20K bulbs are very high PAR, with typically only the higher end 10K bulbs beating them in terms of PAR output.

Right, even though theoretically, any warmer colored lamp within a certain actual range should easily outperform any bluer lamp. It doesn't always work out so nicely depending upon the actual lamp used and its actual emitted spectra, which is why some blue lamps actually outperform warmer ones.

nano_keeper30

EVIL since you are onboard of this thread, what would you think of this idea.

I can fabricate a fixture similar to what I sketched.

The fixture would be about 24"w x 36"l

Each of the red circles would represent a PAR 38 or similar spotlight. Would this be enough light for a 48x48x10-12H tank mounted approximatley 2ft above the tank ?

What optics would you reccomend for the ones on the corners as with the two in the middle ?

I might go this route as it is going to save me lots of money on the electric bill vs MH.

post-50477-1283373287_thumb.png

I think you should keep in mind that your frags may grow like crazy under these lamps, but you'll be lacking in color which could easily lead to less sales. You could have a growth side lit by Ushio 10ks (I believe they have slightly higher output than XM10ks) and a color up side lit by heavy 20 k+ T5s. (ushio 20k, radiums, XM 20K)

nano_keeper30
I think you should keep in mind that your frags may grow like crazy under these lamps, but you'll be lacking in color which could easily lead to less sales. You could have a growth side lit by Ushio 10ks (I believe they have slightly higher output than XM10ks) and a color up side lit by heavy 20 k+ T5s. (ushio 20k, radiums, XM 20K)

So basically what your saying is I should probably just sacrifice a little growth and go for a good quality 14k bulb and be done ? That way I get good color and decent growth rate ?

What wattage? Ushio has a slight edge for 175w, but is trounced in 250w and 400w. XM is also slightly brighter in 150w.

Archived