SaltCritters.com

Gulfsurfer101's fantastic finnex 30g M-tank

gulfsurfer101

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kind words as usual, it's a little peeved because I just moved it from the glass to the rocks since it keeps getting blown around by my MP20 and kept getting pushed into my large brain on the glass. I also forgot to post a pic of the newly fragged acro I fragged yesterday. It's looking good with full polyp extention and regained it's coloration.

fishpaints022.jpg

I just wanted more tank filler and don't mind duplicate frags at this time. When I'm hurting for room in this tank I hope to have my kids tank fully reef ready and able to take sps coral where it will live. It's in the building proccess as I write.

bluefunelement
Lets see the threads, I have not been able to see another tank on any forum I've searched yet and would like to see what people are soing with these tanks. I picked up this tank for 150 with the Finnex MH/T5 combo lighting and I dropped another 75 for the skimmer so I got it pretty cheap for what I see them go brand new. I am using one of those toms deco lighting with a 6500k bulb to grow out my cheato and my ato consist of an 8 dollar sensor from chicago sensors and a toms aqualifter that I got from glennr1978 a year or so ago for helping him move a tank. The ato is very acurate and I have it to where there is always surface agitation in the rear chambers with minimal noise since this tank sits next our bed in our room. I'd love to get a nice led fixture for this tank to reduce heat and am in the market for a few par 38 bulbs.

I should have new threads up in the next month or two - currently one finnex is nearly stock with the 150MH and 2x T5 along with an RKL, JBJ ATO & Aqualifter, phosban, MP10 and 18w PC fuge light. Meanwhile I am setting up the rimless finnex 30g with a newly cut fuge wall (hated that airgap between the fuge and back glass), PFO 150w DE pendant, Tunze 9002 skimmer, custom drop in media basket, MP10, 2xphosban, same RKL, and soon the TLF Kalkreactor 100.

We'll have to compare notes over time.

I see in your sig yours are under construction, I wanted to check one out since I haven't been able to find one set up anywhere. The intank acrylic fuge might very well be the most negative thing about this tank. I tried to light the fuge from the rear but found that algea would block out most light inbetween the glass and arylic so now I just have a peice of cut acryic over the top of the fuge for my deco lamp to sit on and that seems to work fine. As far as lightin goes I think I want to try a few of those par 30's or 38's and ditch the MH t5 combo light if I can. I'll just have to order me some and see how they do. I'm thinking one par 38 for the middle and two par 30's to light the edges.

Picked up a small frag of green people eaters (gpe's) today for 10 bucks. Not a bad addition for ten bucks at about ten polyps. The lfs I picked them up at didn't know the what to call them and let me have them for what their frag bin price was since they were growing along the sandbed of one of their display tanks and were roughly the size of their ten dollar frags of xnia and colt and things like that. Score for a broke reefer.

nice tank. B)

Thanks.

I was messing around with my camera to try and wash out the blue look to my pics and still have not figured it out. I think I may finally cave and start saving up to get a dslr.

I should have new threads up in the next month or two - currently one finnex is nearly stock with the 150MH and 2x T5 along with an RKL, JBJ ATO & Aqualifter, phosban, MP10 and 18w PC fuge light. Meanwhile I am setting up the rimless finnex 30g with a newly cut fuge wall (hated that airgap between the fuge and back glass), PFO 150w DE pendant, Tunze 9002 skimmer, custom drop in media basket, MP10, 2xphosban, same RKL, and soon the TLF Kalkreactor 100.

We'll have to compare notes over time.

Going over that list again that tank sounds like it will be epic. I love all the room this tank has as an aio and you could definatley do a lot with it. I'm running mine almost stock. I already had the finnex combo lighting before I had this tank. I was using over my 40br along with a nova extreme slr previously. I bought the tank and decided to tear down 40br.

I love the zoa placement! right on the arch, nice.

Yeah and the thing I love about running bb is the reflection off the glass should be enough light to grow them completely around that dead acro rock they are all growing on.

Looks like I may be loosing a depwater acro frag and a chalice. I blame either to high lighting direct flow and not doing a water change in about three weeks and things getting a little whacked. Tommorrow is payday and I will most likely do a 10g wc right after work now that I can afford me some salts for my reefs!

gulfsurfer101

Bad news for this tank. My ac went out yesterday and today when I got home from work I found my acans looking like they want to melt along with a melted undatata montipora. I had removed the fan of this tank a week or two ago to use in the garage while I was working on something and forgot to replace it. I hate these set backs in reefing and have learned all my lessons the hard way.

gulfsurfer101

You know ac work, jk. I had my landlord fix it while I was at work today. I'm suprised that my acro's and the bn frags I got from you didn't melt before the acans. I'm ok with it it and will most likely replace them when I can put together some scrap. Been kinda tight with all the rain that hit us last week. I think I worked 12 hours last week and barely made rent. This week I hit like 75hours so I might get me some from pacific east aquaculture if I can.

gulfsurfer101

Thanks man, i'm shure the acan are snot but I might be able to save a few frags out of the undata, maybe. I saw you were having your own problems as well in your thread, this always sucks.

Thanks man, i'm shure the acan are snot but I might be able to save a few frags out of the undata, maybe. I saw you were having your own problems as well in your thread, this always sucks.

when it rains it pours. I had neglected my tanks a bit with all these classes and then the parents on vacation for three weeks, i just didn't have time/ energy to get to them much. after all my tests next week, i'm going to do a mag treatment for the bryopsis.

bluefunelement

Hope it all turns back around for you

gulfsurfer101

I had to make a two day trip out to Ft.Worth this weekend and came back to a dead fish. I finally decided to do a small water change and see how things go from there.

Archived