ReefCleaners.org

Dimming Meanwell Drivers?

jfarabaugh

jfarabaugh

I am looking for a easy solution to dim Meanwell LED drivers. There has to be a easy and clean looking store bought solution for this out there as I do not feel like or have the knowledge to make something homegrown to do this. I am sure I am not the only person looking for this info but I haven’t had much luck finding any clear info so far. FYI I don’t have much of an EE background so dumbing it down would be great ;-)

How would one wire up a PWM dimmer and a Meanwell ELN-60-48P driver?

Or would it be easier and cleaner(easy to install and make look OEM) to dim the Meanwell ELN-60-48D driver?

What dimmers PWM or other would you use and any links would be fantastic?

Thanks

I dont know if this is compatible with the "P" drivers (someone with more experience will hopefully chip in and give more insight) but I know that you can wire the meanwells to a Reef Keeper Light with the RKM-ALC module. I know its not the cheapest method but you will get more than just this use out of the controller.

I dont know if this is compatible with the "P" drivers (someone with more experience will hopefully chip in and give more insight) but I know that you can wire the meanwells to a Reef Keeper Light with the RKM-ALC module. I know its not the cheapest method but you will get more than just this use out of the controller.

I think I read something like that before but I am trying to find a simple somewhat cheaper solution. I am not that concerned about cost but at this time I dont have a need for a reef keeper. I would like to compile a easy solution for everyone to reference as I do this build.

The PWM controller listed by idrm350 sounds like it would work (being that they are using it) I just need to know how I would go about wiring it and if a PWM still needs the external 10V PSU like the meanwell D model does.

What would be fantastic if someone (looking at you nanotuners) would build a small, somewhat cheap, maybe 2 line lcd, easily programmable, dimmable controller/driver. I think they would make a good deal of profit off of it.

I have seen some users who have made something like this but the EE knowledge that would be needed is way beyond the very basics that I know and beyond what I would want to do or learn.

If someone wants to build me a nice and clean unit like this just PM me.

Interesting. I take it you hooked up a 10V PSU or does this have a built in voltage regulator so that one can run a easy to find 12V PSU?

Wait now i am confused... do you need the external 10v when using a PWM?

There is no internal voltage regulation. Yes, you need a 10V regulated (or 9V regulated, they are more readily available) power supply. If you click on the link in the eBay auction, there is more information about them on that website, including how to wire them.

I use two of these dimmers (one for each color), each one is wired to two drivers (4 drivers total, 48 LEDs), and the dimmers are run off of one 10V regulated power supply.

I haven't measured the driver's current range with these dimmers but the LEDs cut out at what appears to be 30% or so. I'm not sure why but it seems to be common with the MeanWell P drivers and it doesn't bother me since I run mine at about 80%. Just an FYI.

There is no internal voltage regulation. Yes, you need a 10V regulated (or 9V regulated, they are more readily available) power supply. If you click on the link in the eBay auction, there is more information about them on that website, including how to wire them.

I use two of these dimmers (one for each color), each one is wired to two drivers (4 drivers total, 48 LEDs), and the dimmers are run off of one 10V regulated power supply.

I haven't measured the driver's current range with these dimmers but the LEDs cut out at what appears to be 30% or so. I'm not sure why but it seems to be common with the MeanWell P drivers and it doesn't bother me since I run mine at about 80%. Just an FYI.

awesome

thanks for the info. It looks like there is rally no difference in ease between the D series an P series when trying to dim.

Archived