Pod Your Reef

John's 44g Cube milli garden

JohnOTS

well, with an aqualifter pump, you dont need to worry too much about massive flooding. it pumps at ~2 gph so it pushes a trickle basically. helps with fine tuning water levels, salinity stabilization, and safety. and its the boxes that i dont trust with JBJ's, too much to go wrong...

I would have to agree with you in regards to the electronics of the JBJ, there is alot that can go wrong there. With a Relay and a couple float switches it keeps it pretty simple. At this point it looks like I might go that route...

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going to go pick up the MP20 today at marinedepot! :D

I sure hope running the MP20 at its max glass thickness of 3/4" wont be a problem!!!! :scarry:

I sure hope running the MP20 at its max glass thickness of 3/4" wont be a problem!!!! :scarry:

This is why God created duct tape. :lol::P

This is why God created duct tape. :lol::P

I know the Tunze osmolator is more expensive, but if were building your system, I'd go with the osmolator with the magnet mount for the sensors. It's what I have, and I don't worry about malfunction or reliability, even with one failsafe. The customer service from Tunze is also very good should something go wrong with it.

I know the Tunze osmolator is more expensive, but if were building your system, I'd go with the osmolator with the magnet mount for the sensors. It's what I have, and I don't worry about malfunction or reliability, even with one failsafe. The customer service from Tunze is also very good should something go wrong with it.

You are referring to an ATO system right? not the MP20 pump?

I just looked at those tunze systems, HOLY COW they are PRICEY!!!!

pismo_reefer
Lots of respect for all of you who build your own stands, this was alot of work!

It's difficult, but very rewarding... ;)

any updates? did you get the tank/sump yet?

I talked to John at AA yesterday, he said he needs about another 3 to 4 days. I CANT WAIT!!!! omgomgomg

I cant make up my mind on what to use for my ATO. I am now intertaining the idea of getting a dosing system to dose CA, Alk and top of water. I could measure the amount of water that evapurates everyday and program the dosing system to "dose" that much RO/DI daily. This sounds like a risky method but I know some people doing it with great success, and absolutly no chance for a "stuck" float sensor.

Ordered both my par38 bulbs today! yipeee!

Now I have to find a smooth way to mount these suckers! :unsure:

You going to be using a rack right?

This might sound dumb, but in my head it looks cool.

I am going to run my TEK T5 light toward the front of the tank, and the two par38's will be mounted behind the TEK at angles to spot light my milli "tower". I just dont know how to mount them smoothly.

What do you mean by a rack?

Paleoreef103
This might sound dumb, but in my head it looks cool.

I am going to run my TEK T5 light toward the front of the tank, and the two par38's will be mounted behind the TEK at angles to spot light my milli "tower". I just dont know how to mount them smoothly.

It sounds cool, but let me recommend that you have the Par 38s in front. Otherwise, A) you are back lighting your corals which will more silhouette them than spotlight them and B) most of the fluorescences benefits you're hoping for from the PAR38s will be focused on the side of the coral that won't be facing the viewing area. Looks like an awesome build and I love the stand build.

It sounds cool, but let me recommend that you have the Par 38s in front. Otherwise, A) you are back lighting your corals which will more silhouette them than spotlight them and B) most of the fluorescences benefits you're hoping for from the PAR38s will be focused on the side of the coral that won't be facing the viewing area. Looks like an awesome build and I love the stand build.

Thanks, I think your right. I am just having a hard time visualizing how to mount them in front of the TEK fixture.

Thanks, that stand was alot of work, I am still not finished. I have a couple more top coats to put on it.

My par38's were waiting on my door step when I got home today!

Now I have to just figure out how I am going to mount these beautiful lights!

par38s.JPG

Damn, I am still undecided on what to use for an ATO. I did some research today on the Tunze Osmolator, and that is a sweet little system! Just not sure if I am willing to drop that much dough on an ATO.

I guess right now its between the Tunze and a simple relay system from autotopoff.com.... :mellow:

ddwbeagles

Nice work John! If I may ask, what software did you use to do the original design work on page 1? Also, keep the updates coming. This is going to be one sweet build!

Nice work John! If I may ask, what software did you use to do the original design work on page 1? Also, keep the updates coming. This is going to be one sweet build!

Thanks! I used Google sketch up, its free, a little hard to figure out but once you do the limitations are endless.

I should be getting my tank and sump these weekend. :D

Then all I have to do is plump and fill! CANT WAIT!

Wahoo! The stand is finished!

Now I just need a tank to put on it and in it! It looks like this weekend I might be able to pick up the tanks... :D

These pictures really make the wood grain stick out more then it does...

StandRight.JPG

standFront.JPG

standLeft.JPG

Nicee John! Stand looks great!

I see your going with the Digital aquatics ATO. I've got the exact same set-up with the dual switches and Tom's aqualifter....couldn't be happier! How are you going to set the float switches up?

Nicee John! Stand looks great!

I see your going with the Digital aquatics ATO. I've got the exact same set-up with the dual switches and Tom's aqualifter....couldn't be happier! How are you going to set the float switches up?

Thanks! I am really happy with the stand, I have never really built anything like that before.

The second equipement list is more of a "dream" list. I am not sure if I will be able to get that equipement day one. Maybe a little further down the road. I definitely need an ATO, so I guess it makes more sense getting the controller now as an ATO.

Talked to John at AA last night. New pick up date for the tanks is this Thursday. If it wasnt for John's reputation for doing great work this waiting game would get frustrating... ;)

sand sand sand... what sand...

Right now I am torn between Oolite and fiji pink for the display and a mixture of (whichever I choose for the display) mixed with suger sized dry sand for the fuge.

The only concern I have is with using this small of a sand with an MP20 will I have a constant sand storm? or, with having my MP20 high enough up the tank (18" total hight) will this not be a problem. I plan on running the MP20 on RCM at about 50%.

Gotta have the small sand for me wrasses... :)

Decisions Decisions....

Archived