Cultivated Reef

Euphyllia's Red Sea Max 130 (34 Gallons)

Euphyllia

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few months ago I added some ChemiClean (stupidest thing I ever did) and I didn't aerate the tank very well. I had a lot of bacteria die-off and my skimmer went crazy, but luckily with 30g of water changed over a 3 day period everything came back. :happy:

Nice video, and great looking tank. Looks like you could use some new lights or bulbs. Some of your Zoas are reaching.

Thanks. I got new bulbs a little over a month ago.

following!!!!

Awesome! I'll try to update more. :)

Any new pics? FTS?

I need to scrape some algae and do a water change, then I'll take some pics. Algae grows like crazy in this tank. I really need to cut down on feedings, add GFO and get some chaeto. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Great tank. I just upgraded to the RSM 130d last week.

Following

What's the difference between the 130 and the 130d?

In my opinion, posting updated pics of this tank is pointless. I haven't added anything to this tank. I haven't even bought anything for any of my tanks in months. There is some growth in this tank, though that growth is just a few more polyps on my massive colony of Ring of Fires and a few more heads on my frogspawns. My anthellia hasn't grown in well over a year. My massive colony of Eagle Eye zoas closed up, came back out a bit, a few melted, and then they closed up again. My rainbow rhodactis split and are crawling up the rocks and the glass and on the sand, so I can get a picture of that. My fuzzy mushroom thingy split twice (3 heads), my green zoas came back to life, and some other mushrooms split, but it's barely noticeable.

Oh, and I'm not sure if I mentioned this, but everything was COVERED in purple turf algae. Then I bought a MASSIVE turbo snail and now it's all gone!

Four of my rocks that were completely infested with purple turf caught a horrible case of red slime. I got really lazy and after about a month I siphoned the red slime off the rocks... they were perfectly clean! Just a rock-colored rock with lots of purple coraline.

Along with those algae problems, I had diatoms so badly that you couldn't see through the glass in some places. I scrubbed it off and did a water change yesterday and the tank is crystal clear.

That's about it. It went from being my favorite tank to my least favorite tank after all the problems with the zoas and the algae. I'm hoping to get everything back in whack. When I get some extra money I'll put together an epic CUC for this tank. :happy:

TLDR, yes?

picoreef78

It's such a great tank though. I am 5 months in, 1 week into the RSM. Where you able to raise the Percula fry?

• 2 weeks later...
It's such a great tank though. I am 5 months in, 1 week into the RSM. Where you able to raise the Percula fry?

Nope. I caught and attempted to rear something though. I didn't know what clownfish fry looked like so I ended up collecting the wrong things. They looked like miniature transparent dolphins! :happy:

picoreef78

That could be them, there is a page on clownfish breeding and they looked like this little clear creatures.

That could be them, there is a page on clownfish breeding and they looked like this little clear creatures.

No I've seen some in person and they look like little fish. What I had was probably mysis shrimp larvae. :lol:

Very cool, did you place in mysis shrimp eggs or have some live ones floating around. Great coloration, my GBTA and torch corals look brown and not so green I guess going to have to retrofit some more acitinic LEDS once I save some more money.

Very cool, did you place in mysis shrimp eggs or have some live ones floating around. Great coloration, my GBTA and torch corals look brown and not so green I guess going to have to retrofit some more acitinic LEDS once I save some more money.

I don't know. I didn't put any in, but they may have came in on rocks.

I've found that Euphyllias open bigger and are more colorful if you place them near the light.

Mine open up quite a bit during the day. 7 in across and 4-5 in tentacles. 5 heads on it and I have to keep everything away or they get strung. Brown with purple tips, green one the stock lighting goes off left just with actinic LED's. My GBTA also pretty big at least 6-8 in diameter when he opens up, again mostly brown, closes up at night to a more green, brown under the stock lighting.

I KNEW that zoa picture looked familiar! I remember reading your article in RHM, awesome tanks :)

Thanks! I appreciate that somebody actually remembered the article. I'll try and get some tank journals up for my other two tanks soon. :)

I have to keep everything away or they get strung.

Mine are rather friendly. They get along with my zoas very nicely.

• 4 weeks later...

The cyano is slowly going away. My turbo died and the turf algae is coming back, so I'll buy two more turbos and some more CUC shuzz at the LFS.

Where's an updated FTS!

Dhaa.... Uh... The tank looks kinda crappy. My turbo died and the turf grew back all over the rocks, and then the cyano is still being fought off. The glass covered itself in green diatoms, but I removed them. I'll get some pictures soon!... Hopefully. :)

FTS :scarry:

10xc4tk.jpg

The picture does it too much justice. :lol:

I'm going to put some money (a whole $20 :o) into a new CUC. I'll purchase some GFO and keep up with up with water changes.

My prized possession of the tank...

sx2k5t.jpg

My shroom area...

2ez38df.jpg

your tank looks pretty good.

I can't really say it's a scrap tank, because I want to make it really nice. What I can say is that all of my tanks are different. My BioCube 14 is almost a species tank of just Euphyllia, my BioCube 29 HQI is a slightly mixed SPS-dominated reef, and this tank is a mixed reef. It needs some work.

When I get the courage to, I will frag up my hornet colonies and put some frags in this tank. :)

can i have some of those zoas :D

They're called Ring of Fire zoas. Not uncommon. You could get a frag for $5 and grow them into a colony like mine. This colony started as a 4 polyp frag. I had it for a year and then it started to take off, so I stuck it where it is now and it overran the rock. Just in the last few months the tentacles have grown huge. Not sure why.

Archived