Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Biocube Leak?

Dw182

Hey guys, so I'm incredibly new to the nano reefing and I hope I don't get too much flack for my inexperience with salt water tanks (or tanks in general)! I would really appreciate any sort of help or advice you can give me :)

Anyways, a couple days ago I noticed that there was a small pooling of water coming from one of the corners of my tank. I own a biocube 8G. This had also happened after I had (what I believe to be) salt creep on the outside and down the outside of one of the upper corners of my tank as well. Anyways, this pooling of water would consistently come back after I dried it out, and I found it very strange as I had never had this problem before with my tank (I have owned it for aprox 2 months). I decided to be cautious about the whole situation, and emptied out about 90% of my tanks water so I could at leave move the tank safely to see if there was a larger buildup underneath, and it turns out there wasn't. However, I still am getting someone of a pooling (though not nearly as much) towards the side of my tank after taking the majority of the water out. Now, I'm wondering what you guys would think could be the problem? I'm worried because I had moved the tank while it was completely full a month and a bit ago about an inch (which he said caused the upper portion to leak from the top somewhat, and i know it was DEFINITELY a rookie move, don't even know what I was thinking), however, since then I haven't had any water-related problems. Tomorrow I'm going to pull the tank out from my table and check to see if there are any visible cracks or leakage spots.

Oh, just to note that nothing except for sand and one liverock has been and is in my tank, and I had put my liverock in a barrel with the deposited water and as well as a pump and heater to prevent it from dying. Thanks for the help in advance, and I'm sorry to sound so inexperienced! Everything is greatly appreciated :happy:

Funny thing is I noticed the same thing Friday on my 12g nc.

It turned out that the return nozzle would push water onto the front of the glass where water would flow up below the insidetrim and trickle down through the outside trim creating the same saltcreap/small pool of water.

I took a quick picture to show what I mean......

IMG_3253.jpg

IMG_3254.jpg

Mabey it sthe same thing ???

Funny thing is I noticed the same thing Friday on my 12g nc.

It turned out that the return nozzle would push water onto the front of the glass where water would flow up below the insidetrim and trickle down through the outside trim creating the same saltcreap/small pool of water.

I took a quick picture to show what I mean......

IMG_3253.jpg

IMG_3254.jpg

Mabey it sthe same thing ???

Wow that actually sounds like it could be the exact same thing. The outer trim for my biocube has seemed like it has been either holding or has held water, and I had no idea how water was getting out of my tank from the top, so realistically that seems like it would make the most sense... Any idea how to prevent that sort of thing from happening? And does the pool of water come from the top creeping down to the bottom? The concern I have is that the creep is on the same side, but on a different corner than the pool of water forming. I however have my doubts whether or not there's a leak or a crack, as there's been no problems with it before and the pool of water had only showed up when the salt creep showed up as well...

I forgot to mention that this would happen only on the front left corner of the tank where the flow from the nozzle would "ripple" up against the glass causing a saltcreap flow from the top to the bottom. I just moved the nozzle from facing up into the top corner to having it sideways. Im pretty sure your experiancing the same thing....

I forgot to mention that this would happen only on the front left corner of the tank where the flow from the nozzle would "ripple" up against the glass causing a saltcreap flow from the top to the bottom. I just moved the nozzle from facing up into the top corner to having it sideways. Im pretty sure your experiancing the same thing....

Maybe, but with my tank it's happening on the opposite side :huh:

I had a similar problem with my 14g BC. Attempts to reseal the area of the leak didn't work. Frustrated and over the dripping and damp carpet, I contacted Oceanic about it. After several exchanges of emails and pictures, they sent a replacement tank.

I had a similar issue. My light has feet that rest on the rim, and my pump was pushing a small wave just to the base of it a few times a minute. Over time it would creep up then drip down the front. I thought I had a slow leak for a while. It sounded like you drained most of the water though and still found the water to be collecting, in which case it's not a creep and you might have a very small leak. If that's the case it will grow, I'd watch it like a hawk and replace as soon as you can if that's the case.

I had a similar issue. My light has feet that rest on the rim, and my pump was pushing a small wave just to the base of it a few times a minute. Over time it would creep up then drip down the front. I thought I had a slow leak for a while. It sounded like you drained most of the water though and still found the water to be collecting, in which case it's not a creep and you might have a very small leak. If that's the case it will grow, I'd watch it like a hawk and replace as soon as you can if that's the case.

Another check today, and I found no water collected in any of the corners, and as well no visible cracks or areas where water would leak undernieth the biocube, which leads me to believe that there are no leaks or cracks in my tank. However, upon closer inspection, it looks as if there is at the very least some moisture build up on the outside of the tank within and along the outer seal. Is this normal for a tank? If not, does anyone have any suggestions as what I should do? I don't think contacting Biocube would be of any use as I do not have my original receipt as I bought the tank second hand. In any case, could this just be a story of salt creep? My friend told me that if there's salt water on the outside of your tank caused by say, your situation, that water will be attracted to it and you'll see more water escape or be drawn towards salt water (I'm not sure about the science or truth of that, it kind of confused me).

Thanks everyone for the replies you guys are being a ton of help :)

Archived