Pod Your Reef

bio-magnet clarifier

sammiewags

just dumping in my live sand and there was a little bag of bio-magnet clarifier says suppose to reduce cloudiness faster....?? anyone use it? says safe for all fish

I just transferred all my livestock and water from my 28g nano to my 34g rsm..

any reasons why? because it's a chemical? I have some soft corals and inverts and fish.. just worried if it's even worth the "risk" water is pretty cloudy from the move..

I think that is alright to use, but there isn't a lot of information about it on Caribsea's site:

Bio-Magnet™ Cloudy aquarium water is caused by fine suspended particles such as algae, silt, and bacteria. These particles usually carry a negative charge as does most filter media. The filter media, therefore, repels these particles, and water can remain continually cloudy. Bio-Magnet™ imparts a positive electrical charg as a bacterial attractant. This unique formula quickly seeks out and encapsulates the suspended particles, enabling the positively charged particles to be drawn to the filter. Particles caught in the filter are broken down by bacteria, and suspended bacteria are repositioned onto strata where they are more efficient. The result? Crystal clear water fast...and a better biological filter!
  • Like 1

I used mine about a half an hour after i added live rock, live sand and water. It worked really well. I didnt have anything in the tank as i was just starting to cycle

Thank you everyone.. I just mixed it up in a cup with the salt water and poured it in slowly..I'll let you know how soon it clears up.

thanks again everyone!

andrewguilfoy

how do you "Impart a positive charge" i think it's a croc of ####. Probably wont hurt anything in your tank. I've gotten about two bags of that sand in my lifetime with those little bags inside. It did nothing for my tank. A strong filter, and time will make your water crystal clear, not bio magnet. I think that stuff is sold for newbies that start to panic when they see their water cloudy and all they can do is simplify cloudy water into bad so they panic. I don't think it's remotely harmful. It probably clumps some of the debris. Same thing as a water polishing filter, it allows only objects so large to get through the filter.

Edited by andrewguilfoy
i think it's a croc of ####. Probably wont hurt anything in your tank. I've gotten about two bags of that sand in my lifetime with those little bags inside. It did nothing for my tank.

Totally lacking any semblance of scientific rigor, but easy to duplicate and mildly amusing: I put 1 bag of gravel, and 1 packet of this junk, in a 12ga tank. Two days later I transfered about .5lbs of LR w/ a turbo snail on it. Water parameters matched the tank I pulled the snail from, and I used a drip acclimatization anyway. The snail huddled down on the little chunk of LR and didn't move an inch over the next three days. It was pulled in tight. I moved the snail/rock back at that point and it was charging around acting like a snail within 2 hours.

That's probably an OD but you can't prove it by their instructions. I'll pass.

Edited by ziege
I didn't mean to be an ass about it. I just don't think it would be a disaster if you went without it.

I hope that helps!

Not an ass at all.. no worries. ;)

• 9 years later...

My fish are already in the tank. Any idea how\if it can be added with fish already? I agree time and patience will clear the cloudiness - but I’m on my 3rd day of waiting for the cloudiness to clear.

3 hours ago, Brengal said:

My fish are already in the tank. Any idea how\if it can be added with fish already? I agree time and patience will clear the cloudiness - but I’m on my 3rd day of waiting for the cloudiness to clear.

Sammie said in a post above that he added it to his tank that already contained fish, inverts and coral and it cleared his water up in 2 hours.  All livestock was fine.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/4/2020 at 12:08 PM, Tatyanatheonewith15 said:

So I have sea horses should I not put it in

I wouldn’t because sea horses are very sensitive to the water changing. If you want you can but I wouldn’t risk it