Innovative Marine Aquariums

Gabe's Custom 10G Shallow Contest Cube

gabe3eb

Items to cut:

Both BZ1 and 2 (those are nice mini-colony pieces from Blue Zoo Aquatics I got at Fragstock in Denver about a month and a half ago). That's $50 off...

Ric Yuma - Don't have it yet, was going to wait for one of these or similar. $10 off.

Armor of God Palys - Beautiful :( $5 off.

15 Whammin Watermelons - $15 off.

Darth Maul - $20 off

Green Leather - $5 off

Tubbs and Bam-Bams, $10 off

Half the Birds nest frag - $5 off

3/4 Heads of CandyCane/Trumpet gone - $9 off

Cutting Pavona in half - $10 Off

To Go: $-10!!! Woooohooo. Looking at a $10 surplus now! This counts the HOB filter getting ditched and the addition of a Fromia, which is $6 according to contest prices.

Perhaps a neato new invert?

Still need to cut out about $30 more. Any suggestions?

Looks like LPS will be on the chopping block next and I'm not even planning on putting any fricken acans in there.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
flying_dutchman

Pavona is a SPS coral

Frag it down to $5

-$15

Cut the trumpet to 1 head

- $9

Cut the darth maul

- $20

Total saved:

- $44

Or instead of the darth maul cut the duncan and Chalice.

Love the tank dimensions BTW

lol i have the same problem, but i semi-solved it by listing in order which corals i want most, and then going down the list until I run out of budget money. :P

my list is a heck of a lot shorter than yours though.

New Problem - I just picked up the coolest Red Fromia Starfish from Reefkoi when I was over at his place... I almost dropped out of the contest after going over there. Jake Adams was there too showing off all the latest LED lights that he acquired, included both 12K and 20k PAR38 lamps. I can ditch the HOB filter to make room for the Fromia.

what if someone "gives" you frags, does that count? LOL.

Unfortunately, yes :P.

lol i have the same problem, but i semi-solved it by listing in order which corals i want most, and then going down the list until I run out of budget money. :P

my list is a heck of a lot shorter than yours though.

That is definitely a good idea... I might be close to solving it though.

Pavona is a SPS coral

Frag it down to $5

-$15

Cut the trumpet to 1 head

- $9

Cut the darth maul

- $20

Total saved:

- $44

Or instead of the darth maul cut the duncan and Chalice.

Love the tank dimensions BTW

I just picked up my chalice today and I fricken love it. I also love the Darth Mauls. Tough choice, but I'm thinking about setting up a cheap Zoa frag tank to satisfy my Zoa craving. All the zoa's go if I can convince the Wifey to let me set another tank up.

Great call on fragging the Trumpet.

As per the Pavona, its a tough call too. The piece I have is from Cherry Corals and looks absolutely stunning. I imagine given a couple months for it to heal it will look just fine though. Another good call.

Holy caca!! that is going to be a hard list to deduct from :o

maybe the Darth Maul...it is only one polyp :unsure:

To put it into perspective Maria, I bought it at 2 polyps on 11 Oct of this year. It has grown 6 babies since then. I consider that pretty fast. But you are right, its just 1 polyp and an expensive one at that! :P

Right now the tank has a new addition. A Blue Leg Hermit I threw in just for fun. ITS ALIVE!

Its still cycling Patrick, so nothing exciting yet. Its a very very soft cycle though, as expected. I used 1LB of LR from my other tank 10 feet away and still need to get the dry rock in it (probably tomorrow). All the parameters have been stable since it was full though, so I will probably try to get the lights ordered and everything transferred over in the next couple weeks. I will be holding off on getting the Mandarin until after the X-mas Holiday, but aside from that, it will be completely full before then.

Its still cycling Patrick, so nothing exciting yet. Its a very very soft cycle though, as expected. I used 1LB of LR from my other tank 10 feet away and still need to get the dry rock in it (probably tomorrow). All the parameters have been stable since it was full though, so I will probably try to get the lights ordered and everything transferred over in the next couple weeks. I will be holding off on getting the Mandarin until after the X-mas Holiday, but aside from that, it will be completely full before then.

odd dont remimber quoteing somthing I had ask you 5 min before.

Lol, no worries. I will get picks up shortly. I bought all the plumbing supplies and my powerheads came in from Drs. Foster and Smith. An issue that I'm noticing is that I had to scale 1 of the powerheads back a little because the overflow can't keep up with the full ~300ish gph of both pumps. If I got the dremmel out Patrick, would it be an issue to add some more overflow slots that drained to the two outside rear chambers? I am thinking I would want to upgrade each powerhead to the next step up in flow anyway.

pictures?

I now have everything that is going to go into the tank, with the exception of lights... I'm holding out for the possibility of LEDs, but SHHHH.

Picked up a really sick Neon Green Fungia from Reefkoi today. Also, Jacob, the contest moderator, confirmed that the Favia pricing would be $25 for up to 4" of favia frags. This is awesome because now I can throw in 3 nice Favia frags and don't have to pick favorites.

I was going to say you can remove ever other tooth I was thinking for more flow.

Yeah I think I might go that route so that I can really up the flow. Thanks Patrick.

Also, here is that green fungia that I mentioned earlier. This is the exact piece I got as taken by the vendor, reefkoi.com.

post-365-1259465764.jpg

Thanks Patrick! No worries though. When I finally get my lighting for this tank (ehem, hurry up with the wide optic PAR38 EVIL!) I will be tearing down my 28g and setting up another 10g frag tank for all my zoas that I can't put into this tank. I hope all of your other Zoa's ended up doing ok after the problems.

Need MOAR PICS. :D

Ok, ok, I will throw a 4x24W T5HO fixture on it this afternoon and get some pics :D.

No dice, most of them are toast... :( Not sure what is going on with them...

If you need any Bam-Bams or Radioactive Dragon Eyes to get back going let me know, they have both grown out a good bit.

I got some nice free dry rock today from a local guy. It is only about 5 lbs of rock added to the tank, but that is the dry weight and its extremely porous, so I'm content. Anyway, on to the pics:

The shot from the living room/dining room:

4146189718_e6d7203f05.jpg

From my chair as I type on the computer:

4146189306_aa96a60b3b.jpg

Straight on shot for the "Aquascape" contest shot. It looks like a V pointing away from me as I sit in my chair and look at it:

4146189042_16a85a617b.jpg

And the mod I did with the overflow's teeth. I took out 3 teeth so that I could accommodate more flow from the rear chambers:

4145428709_b02a313a98.jpg

The 4x24W Sundial Fixture is just temporary for the pics until I get some love from the PAR38 Gods... :closedeyes:

Enjoy!

Archived