inTank Media Baskets

Curly's 16 bow of reef goodness

Curly Joe Reefer

Curly Joe Reefer

Current FTS 01/17/10

01-17-10.jpg

So I found this tank at a local garage sale for cheap, It was brand new never used, and I couldn't pass it up.

It is a 16 gallon bowfront made by AGA.

DSCN3030.jpg

I have always thought this tank would allow for an intresting reef scape and it's not a normal box tank which I also liked. My ten gallon was also becoming a bit cramped

10-16-09.jpg

So what better excuses could I have for setting up a new tank. I got it wet on 09/09/09 and started the cycle with some new live rock and some bottom feeder wafers. I used about 25lbs of live sand and also dosed with microbacter which made the cycle pretty short. Around the beginning of October I began moving some piece from the 10 gallon over.

DSCN3104.jpg

I finally got everything moved over on 10/27/09

10-30-0911.jpg

Here are my tank specs.

Tank: 16 Gallon bowfront

Lighting: 2 Coralife HO T5 fixtures. Each is 2X24w for a total of 96w. 2 purple's and 2 10,000Ks

Filtration:AC 70 refuge under 9W, a Seaclone 100 protien skimmer, and a chemi-pure bag in AC70

Circulation: Korilia 1, AC70, and Seaclone.

Heater: 100 watt Marineland stealth heater in AC70

Cooling: none at the moment

Dosing & Top-off: Daily RO top offs and 1ml of Essential Elements every week

Protection: Power strip

Maintenance: Wipe down front and sides with magnet daily, 2.5 gallon water change once a week, Trim cheato as needed, and rinse out chemi-pure bag and protien skimmer sponge and cup during water change

Feeding: Color enhancing flakes every other day for the fish. All coral gets target fed marine snow once a week before water change. Acans get target fed Mysis/enriched brine 3 times a week.

Fish

One Clownfish: named Eric

CopyofGroup110Gallon011.jpg

One Firefish: named Slippery Pete

Copyoffishtank.jpg

One Yasha Goby: named K-bag

02-03-1065.jpg

My Crew

• 4 Nassarius snails

• 2 Astrea snail

• 7 Blue leg hermits

• Lot's of Blue starfish

• Lot's of Serpent starfish

• 2 Sexy Anenome Shrimp

Corals

Softies

• GSP

• Pulsating Xenia

• Florida Ricordia: a orange w/ purple & a blue w/purple

• A variety of Zoa's & Zoo's

LPS

• Cactus Coral

• Frogspawn: a purple w/ purple tips grapevine & a green w/ pink tips

• Torch: purple w/yellow tip

• Chalice: a red w/green & a blue w/red

• Acans: a green w/purple & a red w/ purple

SPS

• Encrusting Monti: Superman

• Plating Monti's: a green & a green w/purple tip

• Digi: a orange & a green

• Pink Birdsnest

So this begins this tanks journey that I hope is longer than my ten gallons run. I hope everyone will enjoy this tanks progression as much as I have enjoyed watching all of your tanks.

Curly Joe Reefer

This tank has been inspired by El fab's pico, Marvin's reef and others tanks. I must thank you all I have learned so much from everyone's threads. So here are some pictures to get the show on the road.

FTS 10/30/09

10-30-0911.jpg

Left Side

10-30-09.jpg

Right side

DSCN3170.jpg

here are some new zoa's they hard to get a good pic of there color, but they are orange skirts and green splaters on the inside. I think there cool anyway.

DSCN3175.jpg

Oh and here is one right up the gut

DSCN3173.jpg

FTS in post 1

Movin' on up? That was the title of The Jeffersons on Ice! I LOVE Sherman Hemsley!

"Get back here, Wheezy!" -(George chasing Wheezy on the ice)

• 1 month later...
Curly Joe Reefer

I finally got around to taking some new pictures so here they are.

My new Garden

12-10-0918.jpg

The Superman

12-09-0938.jpg

Some ric action

12-09-0910.jpg

Acan looking good

12-09-0912.jpg

Just picked this up the other day, I think it's called grapevine frogspawn

12-09-096.jpg

and The customary FTS 12-10-09

12-10-0928.jpg

• 1 month later...
Curly Joe Reefer

Well after pondering an upgrade for some time now, I found a deal I couldn't pass up so I traded in the PC's and picked up some HO T5's. I got 2 Coralife 2X24w HO T5 fixtures for a total of 96w. They came with 2 10,000K and 2 420n lamps. I wanna switch out one of the 10,000k's for a 460n, or a 18,000k or a 20,000k. Does anyone have a opinion about this idea? I hope I won't regret this change as I was getting good growth with the PC's. I'm hoping everything will color up, that was my only problem with my PC"s. Anyway's hopefully i'll get some pictures in the next couple of day's after everything gets acclimated.

This tank looks beautiful!

I particularly like the Frogspawn on the lower right.

Are all of your previous pics under PC lights?

You should check out the T5HO thread for good input on bulb combos, it's stickied at the top of the Lighting Forum.

i have to say, this is one of the best looking rock sacpe.

I love all those zoas and the acans. looking great.

Curly Joe Reefer

Thanks for the kind comments Weetabix and Redknee. I might have to put your comment (weetabix) in my sig that is a prestigious compliment from a very well respected reefer. To answer your question yes all of the pictures on this thread were taken while the tank was under PC's. My configuration was made up of 2 fixtures a Current 65w 50/50 bulb w/one led moon light and a Coralife 28w straight up purple lamp. I only changed b/c some of the coral's colors had faded slightly. I was very happy with the growth. Whenever I check out my pic's, starting with my ten and transitioning to the sixteen, the growth is actually pretty amazing as most people are quick to bash the PC's. That being said I am really excited about my new T5's b/c of all the diffrent bulb/color combinations avaliable. I have infact been checking out your thread about T5 options. It's pretty overwhelming, but exciting as well.

This really is a nice tank, I'm impressed with what you've managed to do under PC lighting.

Keep an eye on your corals and make sure they don't get a little shocked in the beginning from the increase in light.

I'll be happy to help you with bulb combos if you like, it can be overwhelming because of all the choices.

I like the new Chalice.

What color would you say that Frogspawn is IRL?

Curly Joe Reefer

I have been keeping an eye on the coral all day b/c of the added par values. I have the fixtures raised up off the top of the tank and I didn't clean my glass hood so that is blocking some of the light untill all of the coral gets adjusted. IRL=In real life? I'm not good with abbrevations. LoL. If in real life is what your asking then the pic is pretty close, it's reddish purple w/ light purple tips. I recently got a green w/pink tips as well. As for the chalice I don't know if my tank doesn't like chalices or what, but the two I have don't look very good. One of them got stung by some ricordea and the other has some tissue reccesion on one side. I don't know what the story is, all of my other LPS has done great. Hopefully i'll be able to take some new pics sometime next week assuming the acclimation goes well.

Curly Joe Reefer

Oh and thanks weetabix for offering the help i'm sure I will need it. the 1st thing i was thinking about changing was one of the 10,000k to a ATI Aquablue special. Eventually I wanna change out all of the coralife bulbs for higher rated ones, but that going to have to happen slowly as my funds allow.

Curly Joe Reefer

1st T5 Picture

02-03-1043.jpg

Everything seems to be coloring up pretty good. I hope my zoa's get there color back. I'm going to be trying a diffrent bulb combo tommrow i'll get some FTS.

Archived