yellow coris wrasse (pest control)

maybe a yasha/pistol pair

3 small trimma/eviotas

sexies of course

bumblebee shrimp

asterina stars (for the bumblebee :))

cuc

Tailspot blenny FTW

very cool little guy and good at algae retrieval...but won't run out of food fast like a lawnmower will

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tailspot blenny FTW

very cool little guy and good at algae retrieval...but won't run out of food fast like a lawnmower will

They'll eat algea?! That would be awesome since I was debating getting a tailspot or algae blenny and decided on algae.

Nice job on cutting the slot in the back! Is that a Dremel bit?

Thanks! Yup, it's a two pack. There is a bit with a small round tip that I used for starting out and grinding out about 1/8". And than a second bit that is pointed with more diamond coating on it. I used it to finish the cut. Wasn't too hard to do at all, I was pleasantly surprised. I just took my time and used a lot of water.

hisrylfreshness2
Looking forward to the updates!

+1!! Will be following along, as I'm in the process of a 20L with LED build myself. About to check out your other thread. Hope all goes as planned.

Looking forward to the updates!

Thanks I've been busy working on the dang LED fixture. This will get more attention soon :)

+1!! Will be following along, as I'm in the process of a 20L with LED build myself. About to check out your other thread. Hope all goes as planned.

Thanks!

Diagram is win... pure. win.

Thank you, my mspaint skills are very rusty :)

• 2 weeks later...

The LED fixture is out due to budget and time constraints. So I got a ballast to repair the light fixture I have.

I also got the bulkheads to finish the overflow. Hopefully I'll have some more progress to show this weekend :)

• 4 months later...

Ok so it's been a while. The external overflow is working out perfectly.

Originally I had a koralia 4 and I loved the flow. However, when I added the tail spot and a clownfish they hid in low flow areas.

Than jiriki76 sent me a beautiful GBTA and the spot where I wanted it to be just got way to much flow. So I've downgraded to a koralia nano. Immediately after switching the koralias, the tailspot and clownfish became much more curious about the rest of the tank. The flow at the GBTA's location seems very good as well.

Temperatures a bit higher than I like, so hopefully today I'll add a fan to help cool down the tank. I had a fan ghetto rigged briefly when the ac went out and the tank temp stayed right at 76 while the surrounding air was a good 90+.

Also, I think I've contracted hair algae somewhere, I see short patches of it. I had some snails, but all but the tiniest died of starvation I think. :(. I'll add a turbo now to help combat the algae before it gets long.

Water, rock, sand, 1 of the pumps, heater, and most of the corals are from a system 1+years old plus some from my previous tanks. The only new thing is the tank itself. Parameters all in check with exception of temp (81) and I just wired up a fan today to see if that helps.

Hell, even the sump is an old tank..

On another note, the koralia nano downgrade appears initially to be very helpful. The zoas are more open than they've ever been and the sps polyps are extending nicely.

Camera is uploading to pc, been awhile since I've done that so it may take a while.

Question:

Was the nem shipped? How was it packed? Was it in water or deflated and in wet towels? Cold pack?

I know it's more then one question. Answer them all! :P

First setup

img5760t.jpg

img5818.jpg

img5820l.jpg

My super fancy topoff. Float switch, 9vdc wallwart, minijet404, and this relay

img5823e.jpg

And my reason for being so slow with this tank

img5824a.jpg

Question:

Was the nem shipped? How was it packed? Was it in water or deflated and in wet towels? Cold pack?

I know it's more then one question. Answer them all! :P

Yes it was shipped overnight. It was packed in a box, inside that was a styro box, inside that was newspaper padding, inside that it was double bagged in "breathable" bags. It arrived puffy. No cold pack. Shipped UPS by jiriki76 who did an amazing job. Very healthy, I just fed it.

If jiriki76 ever has more to sell, I would definitely recommend. Excellent seller with great communication and even better packing skills.

I'll try to get more recent pics.

Right on.. thanks for the info - I wa curious because most people recommend shipping them deflated in towels but sounds like it worked out.

Worked out great, the stinker attached to my dripping bucket and I spent about 5 minutes lightly prodding his foot to get him to let go... Took all of 5 seconds for him to attach to the rock I set him on, and about 2 minutes for him to find the crevice for his foot I wanted him in.

Some quick blurry pictures.

img5862a.jpg

img5866r.jpg

One of my two new corals :) TY jiriki76.

img5867p.jpg

I just wired this up, it's running off a low voltage wallwart I already had stripped for a different project. I'll probably have to get a higher voltage one since the fan is rated for 12v.

img5869iw.jpg

img5875n.jpg

Tank-raised

img5878em.jpg

Well the fan dropped my temperature to a cool 77. Lights are still off so we'll see what happens when the lights turn on.

9v powering a 120mm pc fan that is rated for 12v does an amazing job at cooling apparently. My topoff water runs out quicker, but the tank stays between 76 and 77 now. Perfect!

The GBTA eats all the time. I've fed about 2 silversides worth to him (cut up in smaller pieces) and he greedily takes it all. My sexy shrimp have found him and have started to host it. I am happy about that since they have the great habit of picking at my corals and ####### them off. The clown still doesn't seem to realize the anemone is there.

Archived