SaltCritters.com

Why is my clown fish turning black?

matt frizz

It seems that the top half of my clown fish is starting to get darker and darker. She used to be all orange and I have just noticed the darkening of the top half. What could be the cause of this?

I am running a 29 Gallon tank with a fluval 205 system. I just set up a protein skimmer and I'm having an eshopps sump modified to run a refugium and a drop in skimmer as we speak. I almost crashed my tank while I was in NY for a wedding from using tap water for the past 4 months. I've had all sorts of bad algae from having too many phosphates from the tap water. When I returned from NY all of my tank walls were completely lime green with hints of rose, purple and orange. All are very bad colors and part of a dying algae cycle according to my LFS. The colors start out a brownish color then turn green, then purple, then orange, and when they are finally done dying off, white.

I have switched to RO/DI and I did a 10 gallon water change yesterday. I started dosing a cap and a half of Brightwell Aquatics Phosphat-E on monday and will continue my dosing next monday.

I was wondering if the bad water quality could have anything to do with my clowns discoloration.

My tank is stocked with:

2 Ocellaris (only one has the discoloration)

1 Bangai Cardinal

1 YWG

1 Peppermint Shrimp

A whole bunch of crabs (blue dwarfs, scarlet reefs, reds)

8 assorted snails

Zooanthids

Lighting is T5H0 Sundial

Heater is crappy and will be replaced with the external Hydor heater that attaches to the return piping of my sump.

Overall: Lesson learned and I won't be cutting any corners anymore. Can't wait to have a legitimate sump/skimmer/fuge running. I don't think I'll have many problems with crashing in the future but I wan't to make sure that my clown is fine for now.

Before picture:

mattfish002.jpg

Current Pictures:

fish001.jpg

fish002.jpg

fish003.jpg

Pic of my other clown and my zoos. (camera cannot capture the true beauty of the zoos)

fish004.jpg

Video:

th_fish005.jpg

Edited by matt frizz
Looks awesome.

that looks hot tho i dont kno y u dont like it

I do like it. It just didn't seem normal to me. He looks kinda like a bull now because it's on the top half of his face.

I am having the same thing happen with my clown except I have a black and orange pair so only the orange one is changing. I went out of town for the weekend and when I came back the top part of him is dark brown/black. Its not even though, it seems to fade off as it goes down. I am hoping it is just his coloring and nothing else. I do have a frogspawn that he could be getting into, but I havent seen him in there and the darkness is only on his top half....very odd.

• 9 years later...