DBT's School Reef

DBTReefer

Poll for Stocking  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which option would you pick

• Option 1
    • Option 2
    • Option 3

Since i will be in charge of this tank for only 3 years, I decided to axe the idea of having two tanks. Oh well...

On a brighter note, I just got off of the phone with the LFS owner! She is gonna look for a tank!!!

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Militant Jurist
why have to be oak?

Because Oak is just cool plain looking? You could try some oak veneer if you don't have any luck finding an oak 40br.

As far as your equipment list goes, I'm not sure how effective an AC70 will be as a refugium to such a large tank. I suppose you could use it just for macro algae though (buy used!).

I like your second stocking list much better. If I were you I would do some research into making a biotope specific to a region. If you live in NJ, I would get fish & inverts & such typical to the area. I think that would be really cool. Of course you could do the same thing for other areas as well though.

This sounds really cool. I think it would be cool to make a display board with different facts & such. I also think this would be a great way to observe the nitrogen cycle establish itself. I wish the teachers would have explained this cycle much better in HS. I didn't get a really good explanation of it until my 1 college bio class.

Another cool idea would be to have separate jars growing things like pods or macro algae.

As far as your equipment list goes, I'm not sure how effective an AC70 will be as a refugium to such a large tank. I suppose you could use it just for macro algae though (buy used!).

I just learned the LFS sells AC 110s for $80, so I think I will get one of those instead of the 70. I am also going to get an AC 50 for running chemipure and sponge

I like your second stocking list much better. If I were you I would do some research into making a biotope specific to a region. If you live in NJ, I would get fish & inverts & such typical to the area. I think that would be really cool. Of course you could do the same thing for other areas as well though.

NJ doesn't really have anything special... I think it would be more attractive and colorful if I do a fiji or australia biotope. Cool idea! I will still get tank bred and frags though...

This sounds really cool. I think it would be cool to make a display board with different facts & such. I also think this would be a great way to observe the nitrogen cycle establish itself. I wish the teachers would have explained this cycle much better in HS. I didn't get a really good explanation of it until my 1 college bio class.

Thanks! majority of the school takes/ took honors biology. The teacher does a really good job and explains the nitrogen cycle very well. I think the environmental bio class gets an even better explanation (elective for 12th grade)

Another cool idea would be to have separate jars growing things like pods or macro algae.

why have to be oak?

Sorry for overlooking your post. The science department is finished in oak wood, so I want it to match perfectly. Black wood looks cheap IMO. Also a black trim tank on an oak stand doesn't look right either.

Mini update: the school just let me know that the electrician finished putting in the light sockets. We are a little behind my schedule though on my part of buying the tank! I found a great 65 ensemble and tank or craigslist though. Fingers crossed

The craigslist fell through.

I just got off the phone with an LFS owner. He is going to help me with buying a tank. The other person was charging me too much money.

I finished talking to another lfs. They are telling me $360 for the oak 65 ensemble. I am just gonna check with another lfs first, then talk about buying equipment with my school. I want rock cycling by the end of this month.

I was just wondering what corals could I keep under 4 39 watt t5? This is gonna be a sortie dominant with a few montis on the top. Maybe one lps close to the bottom.

I think this is a great project.

I would definitely say you should go with something between 40 and 65, if you can save some money there you could consider getting a Berlin sump from marine depot they go for about 150 for their 12g models which come with a filter sock and flexible tubing. If your tank already has an overflow this could be ideal. This way you can hide a lot of the equipment and display it only when classes come by. I have an aqua c remora that is in great shape that i will be selling soon if you are interested let me know.

Just thought i would leave a couple of ideas with you. So far your planning looks pretty good. Good luck.

Thanks. I don't want to drill because I'm scared the tank will leak. Also, adding an overflow makes the aquarium Twice the price. I am contemplating going skimmerless because of my new direction (softies pike dirty water).

Still waiting on the lighting question.

I have no experience with T5's sorry. But if you do go with softies you should check out chingchai on reef central. He is currently building a massive 1300g tank and has a few unbelievable softies tanks around the 50-100g mark. I would link them right now but reef central is down for maintenance.

If you go with softies you may not actually even need to have a refugium or chaeto. What will you be spending the money on then? Flow devices? pH ORP monitors?

Thanks Christo! I will be spending the most money on the Tank ($400!!!). Then lighting ($300) and filters, etc. I only have $1500 for all dry goods. Then I will buy livestock with more school money. I don't like spending money that is not my own.

I was calling some aquariums stores today and I learned about some school programs at that fish place and Petsmart. I shall hear from them on Monday. Fingers crossed!

I have a good idea... at least i think it is :) Does your school have a woodworking shop? If you do you can have them make the stand and that will save you like half the cost of the tank :)

Militant Jurist
I have a good idea... at least i think it is :) Does your school have a woodworking shop? If you do you can have them make the stand and that will save you like half the cost of the tank :)

+1. Not only will it be significantly cheaper (and probably better built) but some kids from the shop will get to have fun making something of that size! I know, because I used to spend quite a bit of time in my school's woodshop, way back when.

I wish my school had a woodshop! Good idea though.

Militant Jurist
I have been calling tons of pet stores. some offer donations, some dont. I am gonna send these guys letters and hope for the best!

Sometimes that's the way to go! Craigslist wouldn't hurt either, especially with how many deals can occasionally be found.

Good luck!

I love natural filtration, so I will definitely be going skimmerless! A flourishing refugium will be just as beneficial as a skimmer. Also, the skimmer would be $$$

Archived