Cultivated Reef

Mirage's10 gal, DIY 15"x15"x10" almost cube.

MGDMIRAGE

Thought i'd follow the crowd and i ordered a AquaticLife 115 MINI Skimmer! I can't wait,, and wow Marine Depot is fast, i ordered it like 3 hours ago and they sent me conformation that it has shipped already.

Also picking up 12lbs of base rock today, pics later once i get my scape figured out :D

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A preliminary pic of the rock so far, i still have about six more pieces to go in besides this section. Along with sand and water yadda yadda.

SDC11498.jpg

Latest pic with freshwater cycling through to give me an idea of how it will look plus it's rinsing off the base rock. I'm basically waiting on sand, i have no idea what kind i want just yet, i'm thinking black and white mix, Any ideas?

Have the RO making water so i can start mixing salt!

SDC11502.jpg

Let there be saltwater! 1.024 to be exact. NOTE, this isn't the scape the rocks are moved back so i can add subtrate, whatever i decide it to be. Also need to pick up a background for tank, i've decided not to paint this one. So cycle begins 8/23/09 10:30pm.

SaltWataFilled.jpg

Great build bro!!!

Why the hell have I never posted in your thread??? :huh:

B)

Because i'm unloved :(

hehe j/k thanks man.

^Lol.

Looking good man, I dunno if you said this already but what are your stocking plans?

Originally SPS, but i think i may just de populate the zoos in my 20 and make this a little desktop zoo palace, and convert 20 to SPS since it already has the lighting too. I think i sort of shot myself in the foot when i made this 10" tall, I should have made it 12+ hindsight. Since now i'd be limited to encrusting or other low growing corals like birdsnest etc.

What do you guys think?

My skimmer got here this morning, and it's currently getting broken in :)

SDC11506.jpg

I have to say its incredibly easy to setup, and yes the initial microbubbles in the display are pretty intense. Anyone else thinking about getting one of these skimmers better hurry! the sale on Marinedepot is only good until the 31st of this month.

i liked the first rockwerk...

nice job so far!

:D

Thanks Pismo :) perhaps you can help me with my subtrate dilema; sugar sized aragonite sand or black sand? Or mixed?

i went with a sugar grain size

iirc my black & white mixture was 3 lbs black to 1.5 lbs tan.

just make sure you play with the mixture dry in a bucket before you do something silly (like get it wet)

i voted for black sand. i love the look...very classy. i kind of regret that i didn't put black sand in my tank.

I love the look too, are there any disadvantages to black sand?

Well the deed is done, I added like 2 or so inches of sugar white sand in the display. For two reasons: one i'm afraid of change, and two i had about 40lbs left over in the garage :D Pictures in a day or two, or whenever this snowstorm ends.

dumb question.

but did you, or do you still own a mirage? or am i missing the point of your s/n

Hehe nope, never owned a Mitso. The name comes from when i was a kid and loved transformers, Mirage was my favorite. So i've kind of used the name for like 12 years online. The MGD part is actually an old gaming league i used to be in, Monster Gaming Dreamteam.

I'm a Honda and Toyota guy :) i have an 02 Accord now, traded my 02 Celica in for it, which i dearly miss, but it was too small for the kids :(

Here is what my Accord used to look like.

MyAccord.jpg

Here is the Celica I had.

MyOldCelica.jpg

nice!

im rockin a 7th gen accord.

I saw, i really wanted a black V6 6spd coupe.

What i really want is an STi or G35(Skyline), ohwell, someday

how you liking the skimmer? I have been breaking mine in so that its ready to go for the contest cube and it indeed pulls pooop. Nice work buy the way

how you liking the skimmer? I have been breaking mine in so that its ready to go for the contest cube and it indeed pulls pooop. Nice work buy the way

I've been running it too going on 24 hours or so no gunk yet. I'm running it in my 20 gallon, figure if there is gunk to pull that tank would have the most hehe. How far do you have the bubbles adjusted in the tube? I have mine set to about halfway up the tube currently.

And thanks :)

Ok the storm has subsided, and here is what i have so far.

SDC11588.jpg

SDC11589.jpg

Both Koralia's have been off since i introduced the sand, almost afraid to turn them on.

move them up higher & turn one on at a time. after you have both on, slowly lower them.

400gph + skimmer is alot of flow. but im sure you can get it to where the flow is turbulent yet doesnt create a sand storm

move them up higher & turn one on at a time. after you have both on, slowly lower them.

400gph + skimmer is alot of flow. but im sure you can get it to where the flow is turbulent yet doesnt create a sand storm

yep i got them both on now and it's making little sand dunes. tank is like 680GPH so far without skimmer, it's a mooovin :D

Archived