40 members have voted

1. 1. SPS? Softie? LPS?

• An SPS
    • How bout some LPS
    • Keep to softies
    • MORE ZOAS

LivingStrong08

Quick Update:

Tonight when I get off of work I tested my water again, before I start to look at buying my CUC, I couldnt test mid day, however I left my lights on and tested before they went off. (12 hour cycle today)

Nitrates: 0

Nitrites: 0

Ammonia: 0

Calcium: 400

KH: 125.3 (7)

Phosphates: 0

High Range Ph: 8.2

These seem good to me, and I will do a water change on Thursday, as this is the night I have planned to add chiller, ATO, and Sunpod 150W. I finally will Aquascape and add my CUC. :lol:

I am trying to automate as much as possible, as I have a busy scheduale right now as I am pursuing my Masters Degree in Leadership. So I will also purchase a ReefKeeper I just need to sit down and pick all the right stuff!!

Couple questions:

With the Sunpod, should I just upgrade the bulb to the Phoenix 14K right away?

Any idea's where I can get a few Electric Blue Hermits?

BONUS!!!

Special thanks to Brad (Lawnman) for getting StevieT's media basket to me EXTREMLY fast and in perfect shape!!! Thanks Brad!

I also received my magfloat and Reefractometer as well! Wahoo!!

Thanks for stopping by!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No problem on the basket glad you got it. I didn't get it shipped till saturday morning that was fast. Your tank is going to look amazing with that sunpod. I am not real familiar with HQI so hopefully someone will chime in. Get that KH up and that calcium.You want the KH at least 8 on the low end.I like to keep my KH around 11-12 and my calcium around 460-500 gets that coralline raging. I know you can get the electric blue legs at Premium Aquatics but if you get them might want to get some more stuff because the shipping is crazy. Maybe some B ionic 2 part. Hey how are you posting your pictures? Photobucket? I am wanting to start my thread but I can't figure out photobucket on how to post.If I post pictures here I have to resize them and that sucks.

Brad

No problem on the basket glad you got it. I didn't get it shipped till saturday morning that was fast. Your tank is going to look amazing with that sunpod. I am not real familiar with HQI so hopefully someone will chime in. Get that KH up and that calcium.You want the KH at least 8 on the low end.I like to keep my KH around 11-12 and my calcium around 460-500 gets that coralline raging. I know you can get the electric blue legs at Premium Aquatics but if you get them might want to get some more stuff because the shipping is crazy. Maybe some B ionic 2 part. Hey how are you posting your pictures? Photobucket? I am wanting to start my thread but I can't figure out photobucket on how to post.If I post pictures here I have to resize them and that sucks.

Brad

Brad, take the IMG CODE from Photobucket and copy and paste it right into a post. That will put the pictures right in.

LivingStrong08
Brad, take the IMG CODE from Photobucket and copy and paste it right into a post. That will put the pictures right in.

+1, That is exactly what I do! =)

Thanks all!

I was wondering which code. I kept trying to paste the code in the upload box and it wouldn't work.That was easy.LOL

Brad

LivingStrong08

WAHOO! Found an MP10 at Aquariumspecialty.com 195.00 shipped!! Called and confirmed, Scott has one more after mine!

SAWEET!! OK I actually bumped up the shipping!! so $(207.00)

Now, tomorrow morning I will order my lights, chiller, and ato! Finally! GOSH!!!

:lol:

LivingStrong08

Ok, so I wasd finally able to sit down (I actually woke up really early) and ordered my lights etc. Here is what I ordered officially. I also have a quick question regarding the ReefKeeper as well.

Lighting: This was tough but I decided to go with the 20" 150 W Sunpod, I will upgrade the 14K bulb to a Phoenix bulb (which I will locate in the next few days)

ATO: JbJ ATO, also got the Maxi-Jet 1200 do go with this. I am planning on doing a DIY sump, I have seen some reefers (lol) use rubbermaid bins, and I like that look a lot! Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Chiller: Prime Mini-Chiller 1/15, also went with the maxi jet 1200 as well.

I was extremley fortunaet to be on early and snagged a new Reefkeeper lite from a fellow NR member today for 90 bucks shipped! =)

And today my MP10 was shipped out to me. (Any ideas for placement on this?)

Now my question:

For the RK, if I want to run my lights, my chiller and ato and Mp10, do I need to grab anything other than the RK with the RKM-SL1?

http://www.digitalaquatics.com/saltwater/RKM-SL1

I believe the RK comes with temp prob as it is.

This will all be here tomorrow, as the lady was super nice and upgraded my shipping! Still heafty, but I am going to have some help tomorrow night and this is all new to me. =)

LivingStrong08
Ok, so I wasd finally able to sit down (I actually woke up really early) and ordered my lights etc. Here is what I ordered officially. I also have a quick question regarding the ReefKeeper as well.

Lighting: This was tough but I decided to go with the 20" 150 W Sunpod, I will upgrade the 14K bulb to a Phoenix bulb (which I will locate in the next few days)

ATO: JbJ ATO, also got the Maxi-Jet 1200 do go with this. I am planning on doing a DIY sump, I have seen some reefers (lol) use rubbermaid bins, and I like that look a lot! Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Chiller: Prime Mini-Chiller 1/15, also went with the maxi jet 1200 as well.

I was extremley fortunaet to be on early and snagged a new Reefkeeper lite from a fellow NR member today for 90 bucks shipped! =)

And today my MP10 was shipped out to me. (Any ideas for placement on this?)

Now my question:

For the RK, if I want to run my lights, my chiller and ato and Mp10, do I need to grab anything other than the RK with the RKM-SL1?

http://www.digitalaquatics.com/saltwater/RKM-SL1

I believe the RK comes with temp prob as it is.

This will all be here tomorrow, as the lady was super nice and upgraded my shipping! Still heafty, but I am going to have some help tomorrow night and this is all new to me. =)

Talked ot the guy over at DA, mentioned that I am good to go for now, and encouraged me to wait on the SL2 for Ph and Salinity.. Also mentioned it is in testing phase now. =)

So it sounds like I should be good to go!

LivingStrong08

Update 7/29/09 (Lots of Pic’s)

Wow, it’s been awhile since I updated, this is definitely time consuming, but its fun! =)

Parameters:

Nitrates, Nitrites, Amonnia, Phosphates: 0

Salinity: 1.025

Calcium: 460

KH: 8 (143.2)

High Rate Ph: 8.2

Temp: 76

Equipment Upgrades:

Lights: 20” Sunpod 150W (Lighting Schedule: Blue LED’s on all day, Actinic’s on at 12:15PM off at 3:30, then back on at 8:30, off at 10:30, 14K, on at 3:25, off at 8:45)

Auto Top Off: JBJ ATO, with Maxi Jet 1200, and 4.5 gallon water jug

Chiller: Current Prime Mini Chiller 1/15, with Maxi Jet 1200 (Tank stays at 76 degrees)

Power Head: Vortech MP10 (Currently Set on 80%, Lagoon)

Filter: StevieT’s Media Rack, with Fuge and submersible led. Rack holds filter floss top, I cut the BC29 stock filter to size level 2 (until I get bag of Purigen), then Chemi-Pure level 3

20090729_12.jpg

20090729_10.jpg

Ok, so I Aquascaped, and it was awesome looking, high arc, and I loved it a lot..However it wasn’t very stable and I got really nervous when I started adding corals… So I changed very more stability.

Initial FTS:

20090729_16.jpg

New FTS (with corals)

20090729_43.jpg

Coral Update: Frog Spawn, Green Start Polyps, Mushroom (5-6 total) green, purple, blue, and a green striped, etc., Green Candy Cane, Open brain, a few orange zoa’s, blueberry zoa’s, pinks, green’s, unfortunately I need help with ID’s.

20090729_23.jpg

20090729_26.jpg

20090729_30.jpg

20090729_32.jpg

20090729_33.jpg

20090729_38.jpg

20090729_41.jpg

20090729_42.jpg

20090729_52.jpg

New Clowns

20090729_54.jpg

Here is the ATO System:

20090729_60.jpg

And StevieT’s Top view:

20090729_61.jpg

I also added Eggcrate

20090729_62.jpg

A few days later I added a Dendrophyllia, (LFS totally misled me on this one) I am planning on moving this to the sandbed, however I have been feeding and he seems very happy. He closes at night, and opens at day… In the pics below he is closed (lights just turned on) I also added a Green Bubble Coral as well. I will add new pic of the Dendro as he is opening up right now.

I have some great corals coming.. I have about 14 Rics (quarter to half $ size) some sweet Zoa frags from corallineadam (thanks bud), also have some zoa’s coming from Omen. Rics will be here tomorrow and the rest Friday… I am going to start gluing rics of the right and left side of the LR, away from the bubble coral and Frog Spawn.

Live Stock: I just got my paired ORA Black and White False Percs from Saltwaterfish.com, (awesome service, transaction, and shipping process). So far they are showing all signs of happiness, expect they play in the left corner of the tank and the return head. (As I write they are finally playing in the current of the MP10, it’s pretty cool!)

CUC: 20 hermits, 6 electric blue hermits, 14 assorted (some very, very small, other just small) 5 turbo’s, 5 cerith, 5 nass’s, 1 shy fire shrimp

DAMN you got some equipment boy. Hate to see your credit card bill LOL.Probally looks like mine. Everything is looking good. I am planning on getting a MP10 I am going to put mine on the left side in the middle of the tank. I got that light but am saving it for a Solana build.

LivingStrong08
DAMN you got some equipment boy. Hate to see your credit card bill LOL.Probally looks like mine. Everything is looking good. I am planning on getting a MP10 I am going to put mine on the left side in the middle of the tank. I got that light but am saving it for a Solana build.

Lol!! You know I am married, wifey is not letting me finance anything....She made me save and save and save... Good thing I don't have anything to upgrade for a while.. O well she get's her purses and shoes.. I have my new aquarium! =) She actually has been going with me to the LFS and she wants a seahorse tank now.. WOW! Oh and a Cowfish!

I had no idea where to put the MP10, but my fish seem to like it there, and my corals, withing a few minutes all of them started opening up more and more. =)

Solana's are sweet...

LivingStrong08
awesome rocks, wicked scape! very sweet setup!

Thanks man, I like it a lot too! I was hoping that peeps would like it here!

LivingStrong08

Soo... I received some new Rics from CoralMorphologic.com... They came in great shape and packed very nicely! He even included about 25-30 hermits, some EXTREMELY small, and others a decent size. So I sat down, with a six pack, and started gluing my first rics... all the other corals are not glued, but will be soon.

At any rate, had no idea what to do, because I have about 20 hermits as it is, and now with another 25, I didn't want them to die, so I placed in my tank... 50 hermits, I know is WAY to much..

So I called a buddy, and LUCKILY he will need a new CUC for his tank, so on Monday he will gather them from me. However in the meantime, I have 50 hermits, all ranging in size in that tank...

Lesson #1, never place too many hermits in the tank.. Nothing bad as happened, but I know that is was to much..

Thoughts?? :happy:

Oh I will add pics tonigt.. =)

• 2 weeks later...
LivingStrong08
how r the fragz doing???

PICS COMING TONIGHT!! LOL!! PROMISE!! I got a new camera, and finally uploaded the pics last night! The Zoa's are doing great! :) Lost the purple monti.. :(

Coming along quite nicely. You're going to love the Sunpod man, it was a good choice - especially since you're running a chiller in AZ.

Just picked up a pair of clowns (so healthy and good size) for a steal of a price - I was going to go more exotic/aquacultured but they were a great deal now they're all happy with my Cardinalfish.

Anyways, how's the MP10? Any SPS coming your way?

LivingStrong08
Coming along quite nicely. You're going to love the Sunpod man, it was a good choice - especially since you're running a chiller in AZ.

Just picked up a pair of clowns (so healthy and good size) for a steal of a price - I was going to go more exotic/aquacultured but they were a great deal now they're all happy with my Cardinalfish.

Anyways, how's the MP10? Any SPS coming your way?

JL! What up homie!! :)

Awesome news with the Clowns! Very cool, when I get home I'll peep your page so I can see some pics. I love the Sunpod, and so do my corals! The MP10 is awesome, my clowns love the flow, they play in it all day... it reminds me of Findind Nemo and the EAC!!! lol!! No seriously they play and let it push and pull them randomly (on reef crest mode)!

I have picked a few SPS's...and LPS, but not much... You will see in the pics. :)

We had a local frag meeting here in AZ this weekend and I couldn't resist...

LivingStrong08

Picture update FINALLY! 8/18

Sorry it has taken so long, but I finally got a new camera and have begun to take some pictures…I am still a rookie, so forgive the quality. 

Here are the pics!

FTS:

20090815_21.jpg

Top Shelf Close up!

20090815_11.jpg

20090815_24.jpg

Green Shroom

20090815_13.jpg

Ric chillin in rock

20090815_15.jpg

Zoa’s

20090815_14.jpg

Beginning of Zoa garden

20090815_34.jpg

And more..

20090815_6.jpg

Zoa’s at night

20090815_73.jpg

Rics at night

20090815_72.jpg

Dendro

20090815_72.jpg

GSP at night

20090815_65.jpg

Mr. Bo jangles!

20090815_27.jpg

Everything is going well, I am very happy that I went with the Sunpod, MP10, and Chiller, with ATO… I highly recommended all!

I just purchased a 10g tank, with a 10g sump for a QT/Frag tank…. The plan now is to let all grow, grow, and grow! I am in search of a LE Acan, something with amazing color… but other than that I am done coral shopping…

Let me know any ideas that you may have. B)

Archived