Boxfish for a Nano Tank Poll

Crazy Tiki

Boxfish for a Nano Tank  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Would you recommend a Boxfish for a Nano Tank <24 gallons

• YES
    • NO

Hey Guys,

I was at the LFS store over the weekend and my wife picked out a Boxfish, as it was cute and interesting to watch. Now the LFS store we go to knows that I am a beginner and have only had my tank for 5 weeks. We already had a chromis, 2 clown fish, a scooter, a cleaner shrimp, and a basic cuc. This trusted fish store told me that she sells them all the time and that they are easy to maintain and that they do not require anything special. She did passively say that they where poisonous and that if the boxfish died just to take it out.

So it seemed to me that this was doable. So on Saturday we acclimated him in and he seemed to be doing okay. He looked a little annoyed as the cleaner shrimp was very interested in him at first. But he seemed okay. I did noticed that when I feed the fish that saturday afternoon and sunday that he wasn't eating, but he still looked okay as he was floating around the whole tank.

I went to work on Monday I decided to do a little search here on the boxfish and got immediately alarmed as everyone says to not keep a boxfish in a tank less than 125 gallons, that they require expert care, and that they will nuke my tank. So I actually was kind of freaked and started to think about brining the fish back to the store....

When I got home I found the boxfish, chromis and scooter dead. My two clowns where acting lathargic and gasping for air. I immediately took out the dead fish and did a 2.5 gallon water change, I own a BC14, and the clowns started to act normal. I have some corals (Frogspawn, zoas, mushrooms) but they where not phased by the toxin.

I called the fish store to let them know what happened. They just basically told me that I might have to do another water change, which I was planning to do to hopefully dilute the toxin to nothing. But when I brought up the research that I did on the boxfish and that I wanted some credit, they gave me the runaround which pissed me off.

I bought everything at this store since I am new to the hobby and figured that it was okay to overpay for the items( bought the BC14 for $240) as I would probably need their help and guidance. Now I will take responsibility as I did not do the research but it seemed un-customer service like to not at least offer me a partial credit for something they did recommend.

ihatesears18

Definitely research a fish before buying (especially in a nano tank) and DON'T TRUST THE LFS!!!!

"The yellow boxfish will need a tank of at least 75 gallons because it can attain a length of about 18 inches, but other species can be kept in tanks as small as 30 gallons."

-from aquariumfish.com

lakshwadeep

+1 to ihatesears

If you are unfamiliar with a fish, just go home and research it before buying. If you really like it but are unsure it will still be available, ask if you can give some type of deposit for the LFS to hold it for you. Not all LFS information is bad, but it should be easy to tell which will cause you to buy something from them or not.

Archived