inTank Media Baskets

LFPR's RSM

LFPR

This setup has been up and running for a few months now. Lack of time for getting the pictures together was the main factor for this late “tank thread”.

For one full year, and before buying any tank, I was a voracious reader of NR.com

It was one full year of research and I was hooked. I needed to get my own tank… and I bought a Red Sea Max 130. I take the opportunity to thank all NR.com’ers.

I hope you enjoy it.

I decided I would go for the best setup I could afford, right away from the start, instead of upgrading with time. This delayed the start so I could get all the money together, but I believe it was absolutely worth it.

The numerous threads on NR.com and other web resources made very clear that the RSM could do better than with the stock hardware. So I went to my local dealer and got the RSM + Tunze 9002 protein skimmer + Hydor Koralia (which was replaced later with a Tunze Nanostream 6025). I also got the Tunze Osmolator to replace the evaporated water automatically and I ordered the now famous media rack from StevieT. The 2 last weeks before getting the tank, I spent them buying important accessories: reef salt, RO unit, a refractometer and Salifert Test Kits (pH, Ca, KH, Mg, NH4, NO3, NO2 and PO4)

A few pics:

September 2008

Freshwater leak test:

IMG_6154.jpgIMG_6155.jpg

SW in + live rock

IMG_6156.jpg

Right after dropping a 20lbs bag of Caribsea Arag-Alive Oolite live sand:

IMG_6161.jpg

IMG_6164.jpg

and a few hours later...

_MG_6235.jpg

Thanks lalani. I would have done it just a little bit different now, but who wouldn't? :)

The_Yellow_Pony: I used an extra small filter just with floss to help with the "cleaning" of the water. I believe that helped clearing it up in a couple of hours.

Thank YOU StevieT :P That media rack rocks.

A few more pics:

_MG_6208.jpg

_MG_6218.jpg

I was rather lucky with the live rock and 2 weeks later the parameters were already stable for a few days. Main parameters such as pH, NO2, NO3 and NH4 were monitored daily in the first week and every two days afterwords. The tank was cycled with a short light period (4 hours) and skimmer switched off.

The GHA showed up and I decided to the the CUC in.

It consisted of 4 Astrea snails, 2 hermit crabs and 7 small nassarius snails.

_MG_6236.jpg

_MG_6252.jpg

_MG_6249.jpg

enjoy,

-luis

The typical brown diatoms are very visible:

_MG_6355.jpg

For 3 full weeks the CUC were alone in the tank! Its incredibly hard to control the temptation of getting your first coral in. I believe I only managed because the amount of life that was sprouting out of the rocks kept me busy and amazed for hours in a row.

Pretty most of the diatoms and GHA were gone when I got my first coral. Here it is under the RSM moonligths:

8th October 08

_MG_6582.jpg

Its a great moment to see your first coral opening up after 1 or 2 hours. Only second to the moment next day, after lights on, when you realize it is still there and looking healthy!

thanks for looking

-luis

So... another quick update... :)

If I remember correctly, 2 weeks later I added the following corals:

- Zoanthids (Fireball? can someone ID them?)

- GSP

- 2x orange ricordea

_MG_6611.jpg

The zoas and the ricordeas got a 15 min dip in Seachem's Reef Dip solution before going to the tank, which I found to be quite effective in avoiding small pests (flat worms could be seen in the bottom of the dip bucket)

thanks for looking

-luis

yeah... they're cute, and they have grown a bit :)

_MG_7262-1.jpg

A few shots of new individuals...

_MG_6605.jpg

_MG_8072-1.jpg

_MG_8073-1.jpg

_MG_8076-1.jpg

_MG_8123-1.jpg

_MG_8127-1.jpg

_MG_8185-1.jpg

and now FTS as of 7th February 2009:

_MG_8070.jpg

Great pics. I want that plate coral....