SaltCritters.com

MGDMIRAGE's 20L

MGDMIRAGE

My 10 gal cracked so i decided to buy a 20L. It's freshly painted and ready to go. Hopefully i'll have it setup tomorrow night.

SDC10698.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

fts5-24-09.jpg

^ 5-24-09 FTS.

FTS.jpg

^ 5-30-09 FTS.

FTS10-28-09.jpg

^ 10-28-09 FTS.

fts.jpg

^ 11-20-09 FTS

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Front Left

SDC10716.jpg

Front Right

SDC10717.jpg

FTS

SDC10715.jpg

Only life atm is 1 clown and 3 hermits and about 13lbs of LR, not sure how much sand, just kinda dumped till it looked good.

Cool setup. I recognize the HOB as a Skilter, with an airstone mod those can actually skim pretty well. What kind of light are you going with?

Nice setup. Very clean. What do you plan on stocking it with?

Thanks, mostly softies maybe a little sps later down the road. For now probably rics, zoos etc... Or i might do something totally different and get a RBTA and another clown... Soon as i get my lighting i'll decide i'm sure hehe.

Cool setup. I recognize the HOB as a Skilter, with an airstone mod those can actually skim pretty well. What kind of light are you going with?

Good eye, yeah i've had that filter for almost 20 years, i actually took the skimmer section out.

I didn't take a pic but i'm actually going to be putting a 5.5 gallon right next to the tank as the fuge and putting a different skimmer in there.

I don't have the lights yet but i'm going to get a 4 light t5 setup. I was thinking fishneedit but they don't make a 30" model so i'd have to make a canopy or hang it, also i don't think their lights have individual reflectors.

Thanks, mostly softies maybe a little sps later down the road. For now probably rics, zoos etc... Or i might do something totally different and get a RBTA and another clown... Soon as i get my lighting i'll decide i'm sure hehe.

Good eye, yeah i've had that filter for almost 20 years, i actually took the skimmer section out.

I didn't take a pic but i'm actually going to be putting a 5.5 gallon right next to the tank as the fuge and putting a different skimmer in there.

I don't have the lights yet but i'm going to get a 4 light t5 setup. I was thinking fishneedit but they don't make a 30" model so i'd have to make a canopy or hang it, also i don't think their lights have individual reflectors.

If your trying to get it on the cheap you could add some strips of acrylic across the top of the tank at 24"s and mount it with the legs on that.

Yeah cheap is only option atm just had a new baby and wife is on leave for like two months so pretty broke. I'd go insane without this hobby though, for real.

Yeah cheap is only option atm just had a new baby and wife is on leave for like two months so pretty broke. I'd go insane without this hobby though, for real.

If you want cheap buy the aquatraders stuff. Using the pc light on the wifes pico and its doing everything I want it to for $30.

Oh wow thanks! just checked it out but site is somewhat down till may 18th :( will definitely check it out though. I do have 2 brand new 65 watt ballasts should i just retro two 65w pc bulbs? I should be able to grow about anthing with 130w of pc in a 12" deep tank?

Looks sweet, can't wait to see how this turns out

Thanks!

Ordered light today, got 30" 4x 24w t5 HO Sundial fixture. Can't wait to get it!

Thanks!

Ordered light today, got 30" 4x 24w t5 HO Sundial fixture. Can't wait to get it!

That will work great over that tank, I speak from experience!

If you ever decide to upgrade the bulbs, try 2 ATI Blue+, 1 ATI Aquablue, and 1 KZ Fiji Purple, looks great in that fixture.

That will work great over that tank, I speak from experience!

If you ever decide to upgrade the bulbs, try 2 ATI Blue+, 1 ATI Aquablue, and 1 KZ Fiji Purple, looks great in that fixture.

Thanks Weets, if i do upgrade i'll definitely take your advice :) I'm just so excited to have a real light over this thing finally. Its been driving me nuts not being able to put any corals in there hehe.

I totally understand the feeling!

You should be able to keep pretty much anything under this light in a 20L.

I totally understand the feeling!

You should be able to keep pretty much anything under this light in a 20L.

hope so! wanted enough light for sps in the future.

Then there was light!

SDC10775.jpg

Actinics only.

SDC10777.jpg

Actinics and daylights on.

I also added four little zoo frags for the heck of it, they were just sitting in my 5.5 taking space. Also added a peppermint shrimp two days ago, shes carrying a lot of eggs too.

:happydance:

Thats exactly how i feel... i'm in love with my new fixture! I love the integrated timers. I may go glasstop and set it ontop so it's even closer to water. I was enjoying the moonlights lastnight, never had a light with moonlights built in, very cool :)

Light looks good! Nice!

Thanks! i hope to add tons of stuff very soon since i have my light finally.

Added everything from my 5.5 Gallon.

fts5-24-09.jpg

Actually a cool pic because it has all three of my fish in a straight line from surface to bottom of tank :D

Kinda sad day... my tiny clown was found stuck to the backside of the skilter intake. My only conclusion was that he got stuck on it and was trapped because when i took him out he looked soo healthy and fat. He was very tiny though not even 1".

I added my Fuge today, my 5.5 nano. it's setup so that it stays same level as display.

Pics.

FTS5-26-09.jpg

New FTS with Fuge.

fugeintake.jpg

HOB that is modified to draw water in from the display and put it in fuge.

fugeexhaust.jpg

What the intake looks like going into the display.

leftside.jpg

Left side of display.

rightside.jpg

Right side of display.

toadstool.jpg

My little toadstool :)

Hi MGDMIRAGE,

I liked your idea of using the filter to pull water from the main display to the fuge area. May I ask how you are returning the water from the fuge to the display? Is it siphon based? Also how does it handle power outages any overflowing, and is it a pain in the a** to restart the siphon again (if it is siphon based).

looks sexy kinda

Thanks, kinda.

Hi MGDMIRAGE,

I liked your idea of using the filter to pull water from the main display to the fuge area. May I ask how you are returning the water from the fuge to the display? Is it siphon based? Also how does it handle power outages any overflowing, and is it a pain in the a** to restart the siphon again (if it is siphon based).

Yes I'm using a U tube from a typical HOB overflow to siphon water into display. Since the two tanks are level their water levels stay the same so it is TOTALLY power outtage safe. The siphon is kinda of a pain to start again but the only reason do restart it is if i do a HUGE water change that brings the water 6 or 7" down and breaks siphon. I had this setup with my 5.5 gallon and i had the siphon going for 3 months with no problems. It's simple and you can't get much more cheap, the filter is a walmart one that costs 10-15 dollars, and the clear tubing is really cheap at lowes, and the U-tube i picked up at a LFS for $6.99, the PVC 90 degree dual flange elbows are under a dollar.

Oh i'm getting more zoos and some rics on tuesday hopefully :)

Archived