Top Shelf Aquatics

A shot at Nano Reefing....CAD Lights 12 gallon

bps7772000

Coming along nicely!

Looks like you are getting especially good coralline algae growth on the back wall and plastic parts.

Thanks man. I enjoyed reading your tank updates too. The purple stuff seems to grow better on plastic than rock in my experience.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nano sapiens
Thanks man. I enjoyed reading your tank updates too. The purple stuff seems to grow better on plastic than rock in my experience.

Coralline algae has an affinity for plastics for some reason. LR can take longer to colonize, perhaps due to competition from organisms already growing on the LR surface.

• 2 months later...
bps7772000

Vermetid snails have been creeping up for a while now. I've controlled my feedings carefully and squished/squashed as many as I could. My corals don't open up a lot of the time. And from what I've read, you can't really "win" against these things...

:rant:

I might be done soon :----( these things have succeeded in just about killing this hobby for me.

Dont give up just yet. Buy a six line wrasse and dont feed it..... It will put a serious dent in their numbers

bps7772000

One thing that makes this more difficult is that my live rock is based on one large piece at the bottom(like 8 pounds) at the base of my tank with crevices and caves and these vermetid are pointing down or in downward angles and extremely hard to get to with my hand to destroy. Removing this piece of rock from the tank is almost out of the question. And the bastards also reappear right next to my corals shortly after I smash them away with wooden skewers. My corals are constantly pissed off. For three weeks now, I've fed extremely conservatively.

I've spent a couple hours reading posts on different forums about this problem and there doesn't seem to be a solid solution.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well the bug has bitten deep now. I just dropped $160 on a favia brain coral show piece rock and a beautiful rock covered in some unknown burgandy zoas. Also, I purchased an AquaC Remora protein skimmer online for $165 which I should have early next week. I did some cleaning and adjusted the top section of my tank. I am looking to buy a respectable camera right now. This was(unfortunately) shot with my iPhone 3g so please believe me that it doesn't do justice and also my new zoas aren't completely open.

IMG_0065.jpg

and here is another shot(edit 1/31/11)

IMG_0074.jpg

My computer and nano reef are in the same place and there were tons of wires going all over the place and it got annoying. I installed some peg board and cleaned up my wiring, pic tells more than words can. Oh, I bought and installed this black digital timer power outlet because the manual timers get screwed up when the power goes out. Also, I've replaced my main tank heater with a 150 watt visi-therm because the last time the heater in the house went off, the 50 watt could not heat the tank up properly.

IMG_0037-1.jpg

The new corals look really nice. That is a huge favia piece. My tank and computer are also in the same place because I only have one outlet in my room from which I run everything from.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I got a new camera. Gotta figure out how to use it right. A few days ago, I set up the AquaC Remora protein skimmer and it is just starting to produce microbubbles in the last day or so. I raised the brain coral to give him some distance from the others. Here are a few shots. More to come...

clowndevil2-9-11.jpg

2-9-11FTS.jpg

Thanks!

The clown hosts this devil coral or the other way around?. He is all over it and only ventures away from it for a meal. He's been like this since I got the leather. The leather does not seem to be bothered by the clown.

a couple more shots...

2-9-112ndFTS.jpg

faviabraincoral2-9-11.jpg

HEY I JUST SARTED A CAD 12G LIL OVER A MONTH AGO JUST GOT ON THIS SITE... CADS ROCK NICE LOOKING TANK!!!!!!

MY CAD 12G A MONTH AGO CYCLING...

Thanks, and great start. CAD does rock but the light fixtures they include with the 12G are kind of a joke compared to the rest of the equipment. I replaced mine long ago with a Sunpod 70 watt MH fixture.

whoa did you get new lights? looks like you have leds now and the water looks crystal clear. I like the look of that raised favia - ever consider epoxying a bunch of smaller rocks together into a column? you could make that thing look more like a tree.

Great shots of the clownfish I find they're pretty tough to get a clear picture of. Always nice to see fellow reefers in northern virginia too ;)

whoa did you get new lights? looks like you have leds now and the water looks crystal clear. I like the look of that raised favia - ever consider epoxying a bunch of smaller rocks together into a column? you could make that thing look more like a tree.

Hey Macron. No new lights. I've never owned or borrowed a hiqh quality camera but I now have purchased one(that I don't know how to use) and here are the first pics I've taken with it. Not sure what you mean about epoxying rocks together? Please elaborate. Thanks! :)

I was thinking you could do something along the lines of this except on a smaller scale and epoxy the favia piece to top of the column. I think it would look super cool if you had a center column of rock with that favia piece on the top. It could have a tree type look to it, just throwin ideas at ya. Still i think it looks cool how it is now.

Great shots of the clownfish I find they're pretty tough to get a clear picture of. Always nice to see fellow reefers in northern virginia too ;)

Hi there,

Thanks for the compliment. I'll have to read your thread. You probably know about WAMAS in this area, I'm not a member but it appears to be a huge DC area reefers site.

I was thinking you could do something along the lines of this except on a smaller scale and epoxy the favia piece to top of the column. I think it would look super cool if you had a center column of rock with that favia piece on the top. It could have a tree type look to it, just throwin ideas at ya. Still i think it looks cool how it is now.

Loving that link. I was wondering if your rockwork was one piece or had pvc pipe through it or something. You have some really cool rockwork man!

My stock cad pump is toast and went out sometime today. I spent the last couple hours pulling that son of a B**%$^ out. I have large stubby hands. I managed to replace it with a maxi-jet 600 though. I'm kinda glad. The flow is more and my hammer coral is whirling around.

And a nice pic :).

2-10-11hammer.jpg

thats ok, I think I got the better part of the deal forcing you to look at my sig. nice tank btw. you have that newbie aesthetic that turns out much cleaner than most of the older members high concept tanks that never come to fruition, myself included

you have that newbie aesthetic that turns out much cleaner than most of the older members high concept tanks that never come to fruition, myself included

Well I appreciate it and am humbled in response to your comment. I am a newb relative to a lot of folks on here. I'm just trying to read and learn. Thanks Supernip.

thats ok, I think I got the better part of the deal forcing you to look at my sig. nice tank btw. you have that newbie aesthetic that turns out much cleaner than most of the older members high concept tanks that never come to fruition, myself included

Also, your sig is scary....I've seen it before. It is scary every time!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived