Innovative Marine Aquariums

Nguyen's RSM

Nguyen

I have been lurking around here for awhile reading up about the DIY LED. I wouldn't have done it without the LED gawds knowledge. I had this RSM in my dining room for about a year now and its been a big learning experience. After battling a bryopsis outbreak and not satisfied with the stock filtration I decide to go all out with a DSB custom sump from lifereef.com. AIO tank my foot! Now I am dealing with red Lobophora algae and it has taken over the rocks and some of my zoa frags. I will have to rid of this algae and stabilize the water quality before i add anymore corals. My corals are bleached from magnesium dosing and large manual water top off. I would like some SPS someday.

Equipment list:

• Custom DSB sump with 10 cree LED lighting
  • Lifereef Nano overflow with DIY Hofer Gurgle Buster
  • Eheim 1250 return pump
  • Tunze 9002 protein skimmer
  • Vortech MP20

In the works:

• Cree LED retrofit
  • JBJ ATO

IMG_0645.jpg

IMG_0631.jpg

FTS 3/19/09

IMG_0635.jpg

IMG_0637.jpg

IMG_0626.jpg

Jeff from lifereef.com built the sump and help me with the design.

Mechanical/chemical filter chamber is behind the skimmer.

IMG_0601.jpg

Refugium area 9 gallons

IMG_0602.jpg

IMG_0623.jpg

LED royal blue. my camera doesn't take blue light pictures well. looks so much better in person.

LED Retrofit Parts List:

• Heatsink from heatsinkusa.com. 20x5.37"
  • 6 buck pucks from ledsupply.com
  • 18 Cree royal blue ledsupply.com
  • 18 Cree Q5 whites kaidomain.com
  • 2 Meanwell LPS-75-24 peaktopeakpower.com
  • power supply connectors can be found at futureselectronics.com
  • all wiring will be done with 22 gauge teflon silver plated copper wires
  • AC plug cords from old T5 retrofit

heatsink1.jpg

heatsink.jpg

Spent a whole Sunday to get it drilled, tapped, and lapped.

RSMhood.jpg

testfit.jpg

Test fit. Fits snugly in the hood without any extra mounting. Still waiting for the cool whites to arrive.

Wow, really nice work! As a new RSM owner, I'm following your work CLOSELY!

Any more detail shots of the sump/fuge setup? The sump/fuge has LED also, right?

Great work on the retrofit in the hood. I can't wait to watch your progress. You get a gold star...

- geoff

Thanks all for the comments.

StevieT

Thanks for the add. Glad I made it in the RSM faq.

Needreefunds

Jeff didn't offer the silencer on his site. I made it folowing this http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertson57268/HGB/. It took a lot of adjustments and I got the noise down to a gentle trickle. The loudest thing now are the old hood fans.

coralcor

I'll update the parts list with prices soon. Got to look thru the invoices.

Detailed pics Jeff sent me.

dsci2048.jpg

dsci2036.jpg

dsci2035.jpg

The fuge is lighted with 5 royal blue and 5 cool whites cree led. Both colors can be individually dim.

32026205.jpg

Power supplies are in! I used three layers of gorilla tape for insulation between the power supply and the metal mounts.

Finally I got the cool whites today. Checked the tracking the other day and its been sitting at the post office for a week. The post man never left me a notice :angry: .

Needreefunds
Needreefunds

Jeff didn't offer the silencer on his site. I made it folowing this http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertson57268/HGB/. It took a lot of adjustments and I got the noise down to a gentle trickle. The loudest thing now are the old hood fans.

Thanks for the link.

Great work so far!

Super clean system you are putting together. Enjoying following along.

B)

What an awesome setup you have there. Good to see another Carolina reefer on here as well. I'm assuming you are from Hilton Head?

How have you liked the LifeReef overflow? The sump looks incredible...great layout. I was thinking about getting one of the overflows for my 20H and hooking up a sump later down the road. Just wanted to see what you thought of it and if you've had any issues.

Maybe we can meet up and trade some coral sometime. Could always meet somewhere in Beaufort since that's a little over halfway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
apexstrafer

That sump is just awesome. I might want one myself but they don't have a price for it on lifereef.com. Could you PM me how much it cost? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived