Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Furious george and his RSM

furious george

furious george

Hi all :D , i have been wanting a salt tank for years. and i have been reading this site for about 4 or 5 months. and i decided to go with an all in one tank. i picked up a red sea max 130 used(1 year old and in great shape) for $300. i think it was a great deal !.... i couldnt pass it up...anyway, with the help of coralcor(another nano reefer on this site :P ) we got it cleaned up, then i ordered 45lbs of live rock from dr foster&smith. well, after a few rockscapes(it was tough because the pieces were all so big!) coralcor and i decided to add some smaller pieces of dead rock to help the scape.....well the tank now has 45lbs of lve rk,11lbs of dead rock and is 1 week in its cycle.....wish me luck!!!! i cant wait to share photos with everyone as it grows! B) ...DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0005-1.jpg

quick thing. That scape is pretty high. You may find that the top of the rocks is too close to the light and/or that the rocks block the flow. Time will tell.

Also get that silly thermometer into the back or get another one. You don't want some visitor to think its some exotic new species of fish.

oh also and this is dumb cause i bet my scape will fall, but do you live in earthquake country? how stable is it? Those rocks look like small boulders. Looks cool thou. The large rocks will give you some fun options.

looks great. You might want to add a Koralia or other powerhead on the right side of the tank to help with current and maintain good surface agitation.

furious george

no coralcor. i think steve t was talking about the large pieces in the middle and on the bottom....break a few up and maybe re-scape.....i think i might take out the top 3 then rescape b4 i break any up....i kinda like the large rocks. :happydance: .....im going to think about it for a day or so.

oh and steve, thanks for adding my tank to the list!

furious george

ok, so yesterday i got home and the tank has a ton of brown/rust slime in it....i do some research and it seems to be diatoms.....my question is, diatoms seem to come at the end of a cycle.....my cycle has been just less then 2 weeks!....i ran my test

salinity was 1.023

ph was 8.0

ammonia was 0

no2 was 0

no3 was 0

im asking for some info, is my cycle done?.....

i had 45lbs of CURED live rock......since then i added 11lbs of dead rock.....

any help you can give i will take!....

oh, im also going to take some rock out (because scape is too high) and rescape tomorrow night.....more pics soon

ok, so yesterday i got home and the tank has a ton of brown/rust slime in it....i do some research and it seems to be diatoms.....my question is, diatoms seem to come at the end of a cycle.....my cycle has been just less then 2 weeks!....i ran my test

salinity was 1.023

ph was 8.0

ammonia was 0

no2 was 0

no3 was 0

im asking for some info, is my cycle done?.....

i had 45lbs of CURED live rock......since then i added 11lbs of dead rock.....

any help you can give i will take!....

oh, im also going to take some rock out (because scape is too high) and rescape tomorrow night.....more pics soon

check phosphate

furious george

ok, well ive checked everything again.....its all still at zero..(even the phosphate, geo2)mellow:....tank is full of diatoms. i guess its time i add a cuc... :

furious george

wait,,,,should i do a 50% water change before i add a cuc? or can i add the cuc then do a 50% change a few days later?

Looks good but definitely lower your rocks.. Stack them more in a mountain rather than a wall at the back. Like mentioned, nothing will grow on the top. They will likely get bleached by your lights and when doing water changes, the top of those rocks will be out of the water, including any corals living on them. At most, you want your rocks to reach 3/4 the way to the top, no farther.

furious george

i did bust up some of the large rock. took out 90% of the dead rock..and did a rescape. i kinda like it, but its still a bit high....but i think ill work with it for now. more pics soon! :P

furious george

Ok, these pics are of some of the large pieces of rock busted up a bit and a new scape. its still a bit high but its better than it was.

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0001-1.jpg

let me know what you all think.

Ok, these pics are of some of the large pieces of rock busted up a bit and a new scape. its still a bit high but its better than it was.

let me know what you all think.

Nice! I am a few days behind you set-up wise...go check out mine and let me know what you think.

E

Archived