Innovative Marine Aquariums

The Stanktastic - 2.0

BlackSumbel

My desolate rockwork: Let me show it to you.

pico_reduxcopy.jpg

After having contributed, along with a friend, to the death of the previous incarnation of this tank, I have opted to start anew. This time the tank won't be cared for by anyone but me, and won't be moved for -quite- some time.

Lighting: 2x10w (1 10,000k, 1 50/50)

Volume: 1.78gl.

Filtration: HOB of Fail, packed with rubble.

LR: Approximately 3lbs Kaelini, Tonga branch, and other. Dead.

LS: Approximately 4lbs Florida. Dead.

Ideas:

Asst. Polyps, Dwarf Seahorses, dead gorgs and some macro.

or

Asst. polyps, Strange And Unusual Invert.

or

Asst. Polyps, Tiny Fish of Ultimate Smallness.

or

????

Since the tank has had no cycle, no bioload, etc... thinking about picking up a CUC to kickstart a cycle in the next day or two.

The same rules apply to this tank as applied to the last: Spend no more than $5 per visit, unless for a specific frag, and no more visits until the frag has grown noticeably, and/or produced one new polyp.

Since both your LS & LR are dead, you might want to consider seeding it with a little life.

Ask a fellow reefer for a little sand, and buy some LR rubble for cheap.

Just my 0.02

Good luck

• 1 month later...

Lookin' pretty sweet... wait a minute... those gorgs are live! I WAS PROMISED DEAD GORGS! Or do you expect them to be dead by the time you get the seahorses? ;) Just kidding, but seriously is that the plan?

Looks great either way, keep up the good work!

Actually, the seahorse tank is a different one now. This is going to be a new pico.

Stocking plans are zoas, shrooms, maybe -MAYBE- try a monti on that top branch.

My LFS keeps a bin of 1-20 polyp mini-frags around. I'm gonna hit them up soonish for a nice, wide, sampling of zoas.

Nice start.

What type of light fixture are you using?

DIY wood with medium/edison base with 10-20w CFLs. One coralife 50/50, one 10,000K.

It's unfinished (no nice trim, stain, or sealant), hence the cropping.

Anyone know if a plating or encrusting Monti would be okay on that top branchy bit?

• 8 months later...

I pretty much haven't -touched- this tank since my last post. The gorgs were slated to be re-homed due to the aiptasia attack, but they never made it. I lost the will to "work" on the tank, and thank goodness, too. The money I'd been saving toward the tank has really come in handy.

Hard economic times means I'm out of a job, and the priorities are more solidly focused on "pay the bills" than "spiff the reef", but at no point in time did I just "give up" on it. I keep the lighting in a normal cycle, and continue the regular maintenance like topoffs, dosing, and WC (for a while).

At first I was keeping up weekly water changes, but that became twice-monthly, then monthly... and right now I don't remember the last WC. The chaeto appears to be taking care of the minimal nutrients in the system. I'm not entirely sure -where- the chaeto came from, as the only tank I've had any in was dismantled months prior to the stuff ever showing up.

It's packed to the gills with more brittle stars than one would think possible, and q-tip sponges are developing over most of the low-flow areas (like the middle of the chaeto-ball). There's a single blue-leg and a margarita snail. There's also some creature with billions of thread-fine tentacles living in a tube made of sand. It frightens me.

A few months ago I had some cash come in and thought about re-building the fuge compartment, and all that jazz, but settled on waiting a while and doing a possible re-design (smaller, less complicated-to-fabricate Fuge compartment), and/or opting to move the lot over to a new setup entirely.

I'm still ever-grateful for everything I've learned on NR. I find myself looking at the empty (excuse me, chaeto-filled) tank and remarking "Lawl. Box of turd". Maybe in the next few months there'll be some movement on this tank as well as on renovating my future home.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived