inTank Media Baskets

MJ's 20L Formerly-AIO, now with a sump!

Militant Jurist

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Militant Jurist
I think that's a good idea, actually.

Thanks Weetie. I was concerned that I might be over-reacting or taking out some other issues on my poor, defenseless tank, so I'm glad to know you concur.

If I go this route, I'll have to give some thought on how to remove the sand without crashing the tank. I'm thinking that if I turn off the sump, and remove the livestock to remain down to the sump (or a bucket for the inverts), I should be able to protect them. Then, remove the LR into a bucket of tank water. After that, I should be able to siphon out all of the sand. Maybe it would best to completely remove the water as well, so that nutrients from the sand do not cause trouble? Then, I could add the bucket of LR with tank water, and re-fill with a fresh batch of SW. That way, it's basically a big WC, rather than a complete restart. Between the sump and LR buckets, I'd imagine I'd keep about 15 to 18 gallons of the 30+ in the system. I've also got the eggcrate to make a decent rack. I'll probably remove some of the LR as well (I've added more than enough to the sump to make up for whatever I remove from the DT).

Militant Jurist
What fun is a tank that you don't see often, in a room that you don't go into often? Seems like just a money\time pit to me. On the cyano, does you RO produce water into some kind of holding tank? Have you ever cleaned the holding tank? Was just reading on another site about someone with a cyano problem. Got phosphate readings on the top off water (in a holing tank) he was using but when he checked the output of the RO unit it read zero. Emptied the tank and ran his hand in the tank to find some slimy type residue. Bleached the tank and refilled with new TO water and no phosphate readings after a few days.

Just something to think about.

Well, I used to spend more time there, and I probably will be spending more time there, if I run a part time practice out of my house. In the mean time, I spent much more time studying and working elsewhere, and the 29g tends to draw more attention. :P

That's a very real possibility. I've got a new RODI for reefing purposes, but the RO is attached to the sink, so still in use for other purposes. A slimey holding tank is a good reason to clean it. Uggh..... to think, I've been drinking it too.

Divided you fall, I say. Make the 29 the main.

Yeah, that's been the exact problem. A BB frag tank would be much easier to work with. Once the controller in the DIY section is actually completed, I might hook that up as well, since it would make maintaining a frag tank even easier!

Militant Jurist
I like the frag tank idea. Run with it.

Now ya'll have me kind of excited, thinking of all of the possibilities for it. :happy:

How do you like your spectrapure RO unit so far? No complaints with mine.

It's been good for me! I just need to come up with a new storage idea, because I tend to overfill the 5g buckets I've been using!

I just need to come up with a new storage idea, because I tend to overfill the 5g buckets I've been using!

I'm using a Brute. I tend to overfill it too. I need to get the wheels for it, but they're just as expensive as the can itself!

Militant Jurist
I'm using a Brute. I tend to overfill it too. I need to get the wheels for it, but they're just as expensive as the can itself!

How much water do you store at any given time? Right now, I've got my 14g rubbermaid for mixing. My RODI is in the basement, so I used 5g buckets to make the water, and then transport it upstairs to the rubbermaid for mixing. I'm tempted to go the trashcan route though, but I'm hesitant about mixing that much water all at one time.

Archived