Innovative Marine Aquariums

Aqua Logic Coldwater Tank(s)

MrAnderson

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"pilings and floats" ecology collection ships this week from gulfofme.com

Species which are usually included are, Chlorophyta: Green sea lettuce (Ulva) Phaeophyta: Sugar kelp (Laminaria) Rhodophyta: Dulse (Rhodymenia) Cnidaria: Frilled anemone (Metridium), Northern red anemone (Urticina), Pink hearted hydroid (Tubularia), Wineglass hydroid (Obelia) Bryozoa: Bushy sea fern (Bugula) Mollusca: Tortoiseshell limpet (Acmaea), Atlantic red chiton (Ischnochiton), Blue mussel (Mytilus), Common periwinkle (Littorina), Rock borer (Hiatella), Whaved whelk (Buccinium) Annelida: Slime fan worm (Myxicola), Spaghetti worms (Amphitrite), Sandworms (Nereis), Twelve scaled worm (Lepidonotus) Arthropoda: Green crab (Carcinus), Rock barnacle (Balanus), Toad crab (Hyas), Echinodermata: Orange-footed cucumber (Cucumaria), Northern sea star (Asterias), Green sea urchin (Strongylocentrotus), Blood star (Henricia) Urochordata: Sea vase (Ciona), Sea grape (Molgula), Sea Peach (Halocynthia), Cactus sea squirt (Boltenia)

spoke to the owner, Tim. really nice guy. he said he'll choose specimens on his next dive that conform to my needs, i.e. aesthetically filling an empty tank, meaning lots of attached substrates for aquascaping.

pics soon!

oh he also said it has to be between 40 and 50 degF, the colder the tank the happier the little bastards are... and that bad boy is chugging along at 44 baby!!! :happydance:

oh he also said it has to be between 40 and 50 degF, the colder the tank the happier the little bastards are... and that bad boy is chugging along at 44 baby!!! :happydance:

I thought sticking my hands in the 10g to feed anemones was tough at 58 degrees, but 44?

Good luck, that's all I'm saying. :eek:

oh i also got 2 current sundial 36" T5HO fixtures. i love the built in timers. i'm not doing a huge photoperiod tho.

the other tank is still at 80. it's gonna be my waterchange tank for the 30 breeder for now.

• 2 weeks later...

ok, got the livestock. Tim from gulf of maine inc. is a great guy. we ordered 2 weeks ago and stuff just wasn't shipping. i called him and found out he has a bit of a mishap, and had trouble collecting certain items. i told him whatevs, just ship what you have and get the rest to me when you can. he was so happy that i wasn't holding him to the exact items in the collection that he said he'd include a lot of extra stuff.

when i got it it was loaded with cool items. orange footed cucumber (pictured below), 3 or 4 starfish, plenty of urchins, some beautiful algaes attached to rocks, a couple tunicates, clams, worms, baby urchins, a ton of snails... really happy, and the crabs have yet to ship.

anyhow, the tank is still cloudy, but you get the idea. the temp is set for 45deg F, holeeee crap is it tough to aquascape, i basically keep the hot water running and go back and forth from sink to tank

more to follow when the water clears and aquascaping is complete.

qso7lg.jpg

313sv2g.jpg

kingwintergreen

I figure it's going to clear up, but you know what, the murkiness is fitting and kind of looks cool in a weird way.

How are you going to keep the urchins from eating all of the cool macroalgae? Did you already set the other tank up?

I figure it's going to clear up, but you know what, the murkiness is fitting and kind of looks cool in a weird way.

How are you going to keep the urchins from eating all of the cool macroalgae? Did you already set the other tank up?

the other tank's pump died, so i need to replace it. as for the macro, i figure if eating it makes things happy, i can always get more.

clearing up slowly. it's a bit of a mess. i need more rocks, and bigger ones too.

i noticed the orange-footed cucumber had a hole in its side, prolly from a rock it was packed with during shipping. it had intestines hanging out. imma ask for another.

coldwater04.jpeg

coldwater05.jpeg

coldwater06.jpeg

anyhow, the tank is still cloudy, but you get the idea. the temp is set for 45deg F, holeeee crap is it tough to aquascape, i basically keep the hot water running and go back and forth from sink to tank

Told you. Looks good, and yeah, get some larger rocks. ;)

coldwater05.jpeg

Is that a giant nassarius/is it alive?

the Giant Pacific Nassarius (the use of pacific in the name implies there is also a giant atlantic nassa) is listed in my book as getting up to four inches long! :scarry:

Very cool setup. This is one of the more interesting threads just because you don't see many CW tanks. I like the scape too, it looks very natural.

Next major purchase?

Extreme%20Drysuit%20red.jpg

Archived