SaltCritters.com

Josh's 34g Halfmoon

ddr_phish

Well, as of September 14, 2008 (give or take a day), this tank has crashed due to Hurricane Ike. I lost all coral, all fish and all inverts. Not a single survivor except for a small colony of Button Polyps (hardy little buggers). But thanks to all the encouragement and donations from everyone here on Nano-Reef I will rebuild it, correction WE will rebuild it!

Update 03/03/2009:

Completely redid all rockwork and removed crushed coral :D

Here is a FTS pre-Hurricane Ike

DSC01288.jpg

Equipment: All still works

Prizm Skimmer - Works GREAT

Koralia 1

Power Head with Filter Floss and ChemiPure Elite

HOB Refugium w/ Chaeto and other Macro Algae

Heater

CoraLife AquaLight PRO w/ 2x65watt Actinic PCs, 2 Blue LED Moonlights, 14k Pheonix 150watt

Fish: All deceased :(

1 Flame Hawkfish

1 Chalk Basslet

2 True Percula

1 Zebra Bar Goby

1 Bicolor Blenny

1 Psychedelic Mandarin

Inverts: All deceased :(

1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

2 Golden Coral Banded Shrimp - Mated Pair

1 Purple Feather Duster

1 Crocea Clam

Numerous Astreas, Trochus, Hermits, Micro Brittlestars, Asterinas, and other CUC

SPS Coral: All deceased :(

Birdsnest Colony - Pink with Purple Polyps

Hydnopora Mini Colonies

German Blue Tort

Orange Digitata

Montipora - Unsure on type

LPS Coral: All deceased :(

Frogspawn

Purple & Teal Candy Canes

Teal Candy Cane

Green Acan

Purple Acan with Teal and Orange Centers

Open Brain

Soft Corals: All deceased except for Button Polyps :mellow:

Many rare colorations of Zoanthids and Palythoa

Tons of Pink Mushrooms and Teal Rhodactis Mushrooms

Pulsing Xenia

Yellow Stick Polyps

Hairy Mushrooms

Superman Mushroom

Ricordea - Yuma and Florida

Toadstool Leather

Green Button Polyps

Neon Green Clove Polyps

Here is the Tank after the crash:

DSC01314.jpg

And here is the tank as of today (03/03/2009) - I will keep changing this pic with updates

DSC01739.jpg

I would like to thank the following Nano-Reef members for their donations:

Weetie - SaltWaterFish.com Gift Card

Lizzie - Numerous Zoanthids and Green Star Polyps

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Ok I re-did my rock work again because I just upgraded to MH lighting (looking forward to adding SPS).

I know the clarity and colors on the pics suck but I'm just using a Sony Cybershot.

Unknown Paly bought from someone one here

DSC01158.jpg

Rhodactis Shrooms (Those 2 in the middle started splitting less than a week ago :D )

DSC01159.jpg

Assorted Zoas:

DSC01160.jpg

Unknown Flourescent Green Acan:

DSC01161.jpg

Giant Pagoda (The Hulk)

DSC01164.jpg

Male Percula:

DSC01172.jpg

Baby Superman Shroom from someone on N-R

DSC01177.jpg

Left Side:

DSC01173.jpg

Pissed off Propagator's Purple Ring People Eaters (I have a 3rd polyp coming on them :D )

DSC01178.jpg

Red Thunder (left), Kryptonite (middle), Fire & Ice (top)

DSC01179.jpg

GSP Island

DSC01157.jpg

Green Plate

DSC01156.jpg

Yuma Rock (2 others hidden on side)

DSC01155.jpg

Toadstool much happier now

DSC01153.jpg

PO'ed Neon Green Cloves

DSC01147.jpg

Full Tank Shot

DSC01152.jpg

Nice tank! Looks like cleaning the inside of the glass could be a pain, is it?

Well surprisingly Mag-Float works on curved glass, but I should probably get a nimble nano, the only problem spots are next to the sandbed.

• 3 weeks later...
buccaneerreef
Rearranged the aquascape

FTS

DSC01206.jpg

Zoa-Garden

DSC01207.jpg

Candy-Cane Corner

DSC01208.jpg

Nice work. I just started and bought a used 34 RSM that included rock, sand, water and corals. I transported it and put back together in around 4hours. My question is how often can or should you rearrange your tank? I have moved a few things after the initial set up. Do you use tongs or bare hands? Any info would be helpful.

Thanks...Vic

Nice work. I just started and bought a used 34 RSM that included rock, sand, water and corals. I transported it and put back together in around 4hours. My question is how often can or should you rearrange your tank? I have moved a few things after the initial set up. Do you use tongs or bare hands? Any info would be helpful.

Thanks...Vic

You should really keep the tank rearranging to a minimum because it disturbs everything too much and can muck up the water and release nitrates. Make sure that you are happy with it and put everything together. I use bare hands in this tank, but it really depends on your tank inhabitants, if I had an eel or aggressive fish I might use tongs.

Sony Cybershots are a pain to get macro/closeup shots with.

I had one and returned it to get a Canon Powershoot A720 IS, so I know!

Anyway, cool looking tank, never saw a half moon one before.

Wheredja find it?

Did you ever frag the cup coral?

Yes its fragged and I have one huge piece left for sale. I decided I didn't want to keep any of it except for a teeny tiny 5 polyp piece. Check out the Livestock Classifieds. :)

Sony Cybershots are a pain to get macro/closeup shots with.

I had one and returned it to get a Canon Powershoot A720 IS, so I know!

Anyway, cool looking tank, never saw a half moon one before.

Wheredja find it?

Once my funds are all in order I think I'm gonna splurge for a Canon Digital Rebel XTI (I think thats what its called?? lol) and take some really nice shots. Everything looks a horrid shade of blue with my cybershot when I take pics in the tanks :(

Got the half-moon at my LFS, pretty nice, but it seems like I don't have much room in it.

Zoa garden = :wub:

I just upgraded to MH as well. Saw the color difference immediately, still waiting on the coral growth. Your mushrooms definitely seemed pleased!

Zoa garden = :wub:

I just upgraded to MH as well. Saw the color difference immediately, still waiting on the coral growth. Your mushrooms definitely seemed pleased!

Yes my pink mushrooms are going ABSOLUTELY crazy, babies everywhere lol. I just rearranged my tank and made the Zoa Garden much nicer. New pics soon, promise :D

squirrelieygrrrl

sweet tank phish!

the round look is really neat. i think my fav piece in your tank has gotta be that candy cane colony! i didnt realize that they grew in a sort of dome shape. very cool! i hope i can re coup my candy cane hitchhiker to look like that some day. cant wait to see the new pics! keep up the good work!

~squirrel

Lol too bad I fragged that candy cane, it was just taking up too much room. The teal green candy cane in the tank pictures used to be a 4 headed nice colony, but after my mom passed away I kinda let the tanks decline and that candy cane only had one head left on it and it was retracted to PEA size. After several months of recuperation its about quarter-sized now and looks beautiful. I'll take new pics of the tanks tonight. Thanks guys!

Ok here's the pics!

Zoa Garden, can't wait for it to grow together! :D :D

DSC01215.jpg

New Hydnopora Frags, more like a mini-colony! This is the larger one! I :wub: it!

DSC01216.jpg

FTS - I love the rearranging sooo much more! But it seems like everytime I get a new piece I gotta redo it lol.

DSC01217.jpg

squirrelieygrrrl

ok phish!

lol, it took me a while to get all those pics to load, cuz im on 56k...such a pita. i have a few words for you!

WOW, WOW, and WOW! also you broke up the candy canes?!?!! well ya gotta do what ya gotta do. im seriously lovin the zoa garden, all the colors *drools*. i think you may have found a winner on how youve got all those corals situated. it really looks good, much more natural. the hydnopora colony is pretty sweet, but as a girl im a sucker for those pink shrooms. i know, i cant help it. looks great!

~squirrel

what happened to your pagoda cup and the candy cane corner? btw the tank looks great. are you considering adding more LR and bring the center back a little higher so create a tall-effect?

ok phish!

lol, it took me a while to get all those pics to load, cuz im on 56k...such a pita. i have a few words for you!

WOW, WOW, and WOW! also you broke up the candy canes?!?!! well ya gotta do what ya gotta do. im seriously lovin the zoa garden, all the colors *drools*. i think you may have found a winner on how youve got all those corals situated. it really looks good, much more natural. the hydnopora colony is pretty sweet, but as a girl im a sucker for those pink shrooms. i know, i cant help it. looks great!

~squirrel

Well I'm glad you like the pink shrooms, they started as 1 large and 2 small on a piece of Tonga LR from the LFS, that was about 2 years ago, now I have about 2 dozen throughout the tank, the walk around, pop out a baby, more around some more. And I got some in my frag tank too. Thanks for your enthusiasm :D

The Zoa Garden and Hydnopora is by far my favorite pieces, and I cannot wait for both of them to grow :D :D :D

what happened to your pagoda cup and the candy cane corner? btw the tank looks great. are you considering adding more LR and bring the center back a little higher so create a tall-effect?

I don't think I'm gonna change the LR unless I find the PERFECT piece for the back middle. And I fragged the pagoda and candy-cane. Both are for sale in Livestock Classifieds :D

Ok I took a few more pics.

Pink Shrooms:

DSC01218.jpg

Toadstool, very happy in high flow:

DSC01219.jpg

My Mom's tank rearranged:

DSC01221.jpg

FTS with Sump built by CowKid, I LOVE IT!

DSC01220.jpg

squirrelieygrrrl

neat!

gosh i wish my leather would look like that. ive been having issues with it since i brought it home. im still lovin the shroomies! your moms tank looks like its off to a nice start, i especially love the relfection of you taking picures of it. classic! :P neat sump. thats my next project is to plumb another 10gal to my existing tank. as well as add a 70w retro halide. lookin sweet!

~squirrel

neat!

gosh i wish my leather would look like that. ive been having issues with it since i brought it home. im still lovin the shroomies! your moms tank looks like its off to a nice start, i especially love the relfection of you taking picures of it. classic! :P neat sump. thats my next project is to plumb another 10gal to my existing tank. as well as add a 70w retro halide. lookin sweet!

~squirrel

My toadstool used to never get polyp extension like that, but I moved it next to my GSP with a Koralia 1 practically on top of it, it loves that high flow to no end! Lol actually my moms tank is just over 2 years old... But I seriously neglected it after she passed away. I have some of the original Zoas from it in my main tank, and the clowns are from the beginning too, I like to think thats why the female clown bites my hand, because she misses my mother too.

squirrelieygrrrl

aww, my bad. im sorry to hear about your mom. i dont know how much time my mother has left either, so i completely sympathize.

Archived