Pod Your Reef

Kraylen's Tanks Threads

Kraylen

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good to see your able to have a tank again

Thanks man, Im just happy I got it back on track quicker than I expected, with better equipment... I don't know why I love the DSB so much but I do!

Nice rock scape

What are your plans for corals or fish?

Not really to sure yet, Its all still up in the air.... I have some hitch hiker xenias(Two types) and a traveling mushroom that just popped up to my surprise. As far as fish go, I'm not to sure yet. I loved my little orange spot goby... maybe a pair of gobys with a pair of pistols if I can get lucky enough. Corals will all probably be softies.

Sweet, your back in the game.

Like scorpion in MK4

What do you guys think of a Corallife SS 65 on the 10g? Pros/Cons?

Also, What lighting would you suggest? I plan on softies and only softies.

I wouldn't worry about overskimming with the css 65. I heard it works well when you dial it in.

For lighting you could get away with PC if your just doing softies. I saw a really cool nano don't remember where it was from but the whole middle of the tank was covered in pulsing xenia.

If your only gonna have softies a PC fixture should do fine. I only have softies in my tank with a CoraLife quad compact flourescent fixture (96$ for the win!) and all my softies are doing great with it. But if your going to go into some LPS, i would highly suggest you get something better, although the coralife one would do fine probably.

I wouldn't worry about overskimming with the css 65. I heard it works well when you dial it in.

For lighting you could get away with PC if your just doing softies. I saw a really cool nano don't remember where it was from but the whole middle of the tank was covered in pulsing xenia.

The purple rock in the center of my tank is covered in macro, xenia and has a few mushroom feet on it that are starting to grow back. I guess my lighting question now comes to this... wattage/lumen/spectrum... like 99% of people I want alot of growth out of my softies.

SS65 will go on this weekend then. Cyano needs to vanish, Im going to treat it tonight... Increase flow(hopefully without screwing up my DSB) and wait for my levels to work out.

If your only gonna have softies a PC fixture should do fine. I only have softies in my tank with a CoraLife quad compact flourescent fixture (96$ for the win!) and all my softies are doing great with it. But if your going to go into some LPS, i would highly suggest you get something better, although the coralife one would do fine probably.

Nah, this tank will be all softies... something for the living room, my 55 is going to be my big reef tank... equipped with 300w+ MH.. Which will probably be all softies with my torch/hammer/FS experiments... but I'm keepin the option open for SPS just in case I start to gain interest... but SPS dosent really do it for me...

I like the idea of a CSS65 on a 10g, but not necessarily for softies. From what I understand, most of them like the water a little dirty. That being said, I think you may strip them of that dirty water running a skimmer that is rated for 6x's + your tanks' total volume!

however, since you are going to use the skimmer I would suggest adding an ATO (if you don't already have one). The CSSs are pretty good skimmers, but they don't work well with fluctuating water levels.

Just though of something else, the pump on the skimmer may generate a significant ammount of heat in that little tank....something you may want to think about. FYI, my 30g runs at 80 degrees with just the mag9.5 running (no lights). I turned the skimmer on the other day for 6 hours and the temp jumped to 83 degrees. I'm really hoping that once I install a fan or two in my canopy i can get the temp / temp swings in check (fingers crossed). If not I'm gonna be pis.sed. There's no way my wife is going to let me shell out the cash for a chiller for this tank.

btw, the new rockwork looks sick, good job.

I like the idea of a CSS65 on a 10g, but not necessarily for softies. From what I understand, most of them like the water a little dirty. That being said, I think you may strip them of that dirty water running a skimmer that is rated for 6x's + your tanks' total volume!

however, since you are going to use the skimmer I would suggest adding an ATO (if you don't already have one). The CSSs are pretty good skimmers, but they don't work well with fluctuating water levels.

Just though of something else, the pump on the skimmer may generate a significant ammount of heat in that little tank....something you may want to think about. FYI, my 30g runs at 80 degrees with just the mag9.5 running (no lights). I turned the skimmer on the other day for 6 hours and the temp jumped to 83 degrees. I'm really hoping that once I install a fan or two in my canopy i can get the temp / temp swings in check (fingers crossed). If not I'm gonna be pis.sed. There's no way my wife is going to let me shell out the cash for a chiller for this tank.

btw, the new rockwork looks sick, good job.

Would it be possible to only run the skimmer for small amounts of time? Is it possible that, since I'm running a skimmer 6 times bigger than my tank, I could get away with using it for smaller time frames as not to overheat as much? I could install a fan... which I kind of planned on anyway after the light upgrade. Also my tank is right under a AC exit keeping the air very cool around it(when people dont turn it off, they know now)

Hahaha, the funny thing about the rockwork... ahhh yes.... When I redid this tank it was like 6 am(breaking down other tanks all night)... so I got home, had a beer and figured screw it, im gonna do the tank.... I removed all the old rock work and cleaned out all the dead crap floating around.... I added the huge bucket of sand in and didnt have the time to wait around for my tank to clear up to do my rocks.... So like a blind man, I did the entire scape by using touch for my sight. When I woke up, to my surprise, the rock looked pretty damn good. =)

Thanks for the info man, keep the ideas and suggestions going cause Im doing this tank right this time...

Tank looks way better than it did before the crash. Quick question do you work at the LFS in your area? As it stands right now our store has a few collector palys and zoas: black plague palys about a 5 inch diameter colony for sale but ithink I am going to aquaculture it, also some amour of gods, as for shrooms we hvave this crazy Yuma ric I wanted tontaks of home so bad but not for the price. Keep up the good work on your new tank or redone tank!

haha thanks man, I wished I worked at one of the LFS here. Most of them are awesome.... You should pick up some dope colonies and ill buy some frags from you when I come up.

tank looks good... i had the CSS65 on my ten gallon tank... its a good skimmer but i agree with the stable water level for it to work properly, there is a page of mods for it to get it to work better... overall i say its a good skimmer

Sounds good what ever you want I can pretty much get, My friend has a connection with the guy that runs www.zoaid.com check it out it is full of high end zoa's and palys. I got a hold of a camera from work, but my lights were off on my main system when I got home so i just took a few pics of my new 25 gal frogfish/reef tank look for the forum it will have some nice pics of the open brain that i put in there about a week ago!

Hell yeah man.

Update: Added more staff members to the janitorial arts union. Few Nass snails, 1 turbo, few tri colors hermits and a pom pom less pom pom crab.(discount woot)

misc coral trimmings consisting of. purple mushrooms, some crazy green asian mushroom, some zoos and a trumpet head. woot.

Pictures when everything is happy.

Hell yeah man.

Update: Added more staff members to the janitorial arts union. Few Nass snails, 1 turbo, few tri colors hermits and a pom pom less pom pom crab.(discount woot)

misc coral trimmings consisting of. purple mushrooms, some crazy green asian mushroom, some zoos and a trumpet head. woot.

Pictures when everything is happy.

Cool can't wait to see pics

But don't pom pom crabs die with out their nems?

We shall find out.

I just read a few articles on pom poms, it said they lose their anems often in the home aquarium, sometimes they'll steal zoos and arm themselves with them. I hope this guy dosent equip any aptasia!

That would be pretty damn funny if he ran around the tank with some Zoa on his claws, we have a few of the pom pom at my work but i thought he might get picked on if i put him in my 40 gal.

I would say the same to you if I was mean....

Welcome to the internet, chose either this padded helmet, or box of tissues.

No matter what forum you post on, there is some smart-ass lurking in the shadows feeding on random people.

Nice to meet you.

Archived