Cultivated Reef

Eclipse Corner 5 Gallon - No More.

Dadoboy

Hello!

I thought I would give this eclipse 5 gallon tank a chance to be my first Nano-Tank. Please be aware I am new to this - but have done, and still doing, a lot of research, buttcha never know what you will encounter in this hobby. As you Nano Reefs people have helped me learn and appreciate what a great hobby this is, I in turn (with your help) will help others learn from me. Thank you all in advance.

What I have learned so far - is that patience is a mo/fo...

This is the story of the past week - pretty much as it happened..

I bought the tank on Sunday - cleaned it filled it with water to test it. I took the tank into work on Monday. and set it up. I placed egg-crate cut to the shape of the tank, and placed on bottom of tank and placed the LR on top and filled it with saltwater, and placing the RIO 50 powerhead. The water is RO that I got at my local Publix (grocery store).

BTW - The egg crate can be found at Lowes in the lighting section, next to the plastic sheets they use to cover florescent bulbs. I assume Home Depot are in the same place.

I then mixed the live sand w/ some of the rinsed moon sand put live rock, and am waiting.

That's pretty much it. This forum is a great way to find information on DYI, and identifying things, as well as much more stuff, and I love it!

I will appreciate any advise, comments, and suggestions.

Finally -

I do have a question... I noticed that when I placed my rio power head against the wall of the tank, it seemed like my tank amplified the hum of it. If I put it in the middle of the tank.. nice and quiet.. Any suggestions? I think I need it on the wall on the tank, right?

Thanks again to everybody who has (and will) help.

Dave A.

(edit to shorten it a little)

These were taken while I was waiting on my moon sand.

FTSatwork.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok - Quick update.

Copepods! Woo Hoo!

I sent out a quick email to people at work, so I had a run of pholk's to see these little things. Yesterday someone gave me a 75W Compact Fluorescent light, so I guess they all came out to party under the new lights. B) When I went in this morning, I had thought somehow dust got in my tank.... but a quick memory jog, and I came to NR to search and yep... thats what they are. Kept staring at them all day.. Something new and alive in my tank!!

PH 8.2

Ammonia .25

Nitrite .0

Nitrate 0

Salinity 1.0245

Here is what I have:

Eclipse Corner 5 Gallon

Rio PH 50

Mini Mag-float

75W CP light

Tahitian Moon Sand

Live Sand

3 (6lbs) of very nice LR

eggcrate

Chopsticks (to point out thing in my tank.. might upgrade to a laser pointer - (I wonder if that's ok?))

of course, Algae and Copepods :)

Shopping list for Friday:

Aquaclear 50 (to mod w/ some sort of macro, later on)

Hydor FLO Rotating Deflector

50/50 Bulb

and anything else that jumps in my cart.. (I just hope I keep the budget in check)

Thanks to inferno2113 for helping me w/ posting photos! Will have updated photos tomorrow.

Ok - Quick update.

Copepods! Woo Hoo!

I sent out a quick email to people at work, so I had a run of pholk's to see these little things. Yesterday someone gave me a 75W Compact Fluorescent light, so I guess they all came out to party under the new lights. B) When I went in this morning, I had thought somehow dust got in my tank.... but a quick memory jog, and I came to NR to search and yep... thats what they are. Kept staring at them all day.. Something new and alive in my tank!!

PH 8.2

Ammonia .25

Nitrite .0

Nitrate 0

Salinity 1.0245

Here is what I have:

Eclipse Corner 5 Gallon

Rio PH 50

Mini Mag-float

75W CP light

Tahitian Moon Sand

Live Sand

3 (6lbs) of very nice LR

eggcrate

Chopsticks (to point out thing in my tank.. might upgrade to a laser pointer - (I wonder if that's ok?))

of course, Algae and Copepods :)

Shopping list for Friday:

Aquaclear 50 (to mod w/ some sort of macro, later on)

Hydor FLO Rotating Deflector

50/50 Bulb

and anything else that jumps in my cart.. (I just hope I keep the budget in check)

Thanks to inferno2113 for helping me w/ posting photos! Will have updated photos tomorrow.

I like your little nano. I bet it is going to be cool. What are planning on keeping in it?

Looks great. Just dont let that patience wear out :happy:

GL

Yeah, I know. I think, going forward - I will just go to the LFS. That way I can just pick it up and play w/ it right away.

Thanks-

Dave A.

I like your little nano. I bet it is going to be cool. What are planning on keeping in it?

I'm really just now looking at the CUC. I like the blood shrimp, pom pom crab and the turbo snails. Haven't moved on much past that yet... I would just get fixated on the coral/fish if I pick something out now.. :) My goal would be the the maxima.

maxima2.jpg

I know I'm a long way away from that, but that is just a thing of beauty.

Thanks-

Dave A.

Nice Tank. Your rock is going to look sweet when the purple Coralline starts to grow. ;)

Thanks! That was one of the reasons I got those. I love the color on yours! I cant wait!

I also think I have the same question you have on your link..... Mine is dark red & came with the LR.. Most of it got damaged while I was moving the LR around, but still am wondering about.

100_0459.jpg

Maybe we can get some suggestions between the both of us. fingerscrossed

Thanks!

Dave A.

Looks like it will be a nice lil setup. Good luck!!

Thank you! I hope it is as easy as you all make it seem! :haha:

Dave A.

Well... 0h Well... look at what we got here...

Rocky of course..

100_0497.jpg

Good thing I was watching him... I probably would never be able to find him again..

100_0501-1.jpg

A couple of turbo Snails - Only one has a question, though.

100_0485-1-1-1.jpg

Here he is sitting on top of the world.

100_0509-1.jpg

Buzz is the word.. Couple of bumble bee snails

100_0490-1-1.jpg

No, I'm not going to say "I'm too sexy for this bowl"... :naughtydance:

100_0493-1-1.jpg

Finally a FTS

100_0508.jpg

I'll try to get a better FTS tomorrow.

Parms:

PH 8.2

Ammonia .0

Nitrite .0

Nitrate 0

Salinity 1.0245

I was concerned about no Nitrite or Nitrate spikes, but I asked around and they said my tank was cycled (ammonia has been 0 for a couple of days). I'll find out on Monday when I go in.

Thanks-

Dave A.

Cool. Looks like it's coming along quite sexily...

Hey Thanks!

I just back from the LFS and got 2 Red-legged hermits. Ya cant have anything sexy with-out a hermit or two lying around.. He said I didn't need any extra shells since they don't grow, & wouldn't hurt my snails like the Blue-legged ones would. I did some research, and didn't see anything that would contradict what he said..

True?

Thanks-

Dave A.

He said I didn't need any extra shells since they don't grow

Hmmmm...my red leg hermits always change shells and they seem to grow...whether or not they kill snails for their shells...IDK

Hmmmm...my red leg hermits always change shells and they seem to grow...whether or not they kill snails for their shells...IDK

Dave my LFS said they won't kill the snails for there shells, but if there are any empty ones lying around they might inhabit them. I have two although I only bought one and what was thought to be an empty shell. They smaller of the two has molted twice and simply crawled back into his old shell. I do plan to find him a larger one soon in case he feels like switching homes.

Dave my LFS said they won't kill the snails for there shells, but if there are any empty ones lying around they might inhabit them. I have two although I only bought one and what was thought to be an empty shell. They smaller of the two has molted twice and simply crawled back into his old shell. I do plan to find him a larger one soon in case he feels like switching homes.

Blue~

Thanks! I'll think I might go buy a couple of extra somewhere... just in case. It's strange that the LFS didn't want to give me any extras... The first place I went said.. "Oh, I don't see any extra shells", and the other just said I didn't need it...

Sounds like they should be alright until I make it down to the "Shell palace" or whatever that tourist shop is that sells sea shells down the street.

Thanks again!

Dave A.

Well...I'll get some extras... that way, they can move all they want.. Don't want no gang-banger crabs running the show..

Thanks-

Dave A.

Wow... a lot has happened. Thank you all for tagging this...This tank has been a lot of fun & a little headache.

Here is the update.....

Took out the stock light & filter and put in a AC50 filter. (future mod).

I got me a small 50/50 light and modded the eclipse hood to accept it. I had to also cut the back of the hood so the AC50 would flow through...

I have a earlier photo of what I was thinking with the light...

100_0519.jpg

But today - into my 2nd shot...My camera went Pthhthtththththh" ..

100_0537-1.jpg

100_0538-1.jpg

With the frame that sits on the top of the tank and accepts the hood.

It looks fantastic, I just wished my camera didn't die. I'll see if I can borrow the company's camera tomorrow.

I can not wait to light this bad-boy up...

I also finished making my battery ATO over the weekend, and took it into work... boy it's loud!. kinda fun... I would set it off for just a few secs to get people attention.. and then act normal and start looking with them to find where the noise was coming from... did that all day... took them a while to figure it out.

Anyway - I will get some more photos up & running soon.

Thanks again!

Dave A.

Well, I had to super glue/silicon what I had cut in the back to the underneath of the hood. This levels out the light (was tipping towards the back).

DSCF0202.jpg

Side shot

DSCF0210.jpg

Ta-Da!

DSCF0206.jpg

Off to figure out a cooling mod... closed lid=more heat.

I should get my moonlights on Monday... More stuff-a-coming.

Thanks-

Dave A.

very nice mod... this is a great little tank.. keep up with the pics

Thank you.. so much..

I'm going tomorrow and picking up some new family members.

I went a new LFS today to look, and talked to them. They really went the extra step in answering my questions & are going to help me get a good deal on an assortment of of small stuff. They understood that I couldn't get one of their bigger stuff, cuz just 1 or 2 pieces would fill up my tank.. He pointed out I could get a 'little of this'.. and 'we'll break ya off a little of this'.. and made me feel good. I have been to a couple of the LFS, and I felt like a 'customer'... But am excited to find a place that is 'willing to help me learn and not just make a sale'..

Woo Hoo..

That means more photos tomorrow!

Thanks again!

Dave A.

Well.... Here's an update:

I had a problem with heat, so I got 2 - 1" laptop fans. Rigged them up with a 9v DC plug. Boy oh boy does it work. I cut a couple of holes, silicone them in - turned it on and it cooled my tank very quickly. Ran it for about 10 mins and had to shut them off. Was worried that i would burn them out since they are going a very high rate of speed. Hooked up an ol' X-10 lamp (the kind that lets me 'dim' the lights) controller, plugged them in, grabbed my remote, and was able to adjust the rate of power to the plug and got a very nice air rate. I thought I had photos, but will upload them tomorrow. I think it's pretty neat, works and looks 'ok'.

Here they are:

DSCF0234.jpg

DSCF0238.jpg

I do have a couple of new shots.. (Just learned if you put your camera on the 'flower' you can get closeup shots)

I did not ask what they were.. it was a great deal, and will give me time to 'research' on what I got..

100_0545.jpg

Here's the crew hard at work

100_0550.jpg

And of course my first priority..

DSCF0226.jpg

It's like a feather-duster and is almost like red/white stripe (banded).

I thought I had more/better photos of the tank, but thats another issue... More to come!

Thanks-

Dave A.

OK, heres what you've all been waiting for (I hope)

DSCF0231.jpg

DSCF0224-1.jpg

DSCF0220.jpg

This guy broke out on his own over night.. my kind of attitude..

If that starfish ever comes out from the back glass I'll post him as well... & didn't get a good shot of the mushroom... I'll try again tomorrow & hopefully the other zoas have opened up..

Rocky (pom-pom) molted yesterday... I saw him (finally!) in a hole.. looked at another part of the tank, and saw his shell.. Took me a sec to figure it out... Going to play a trick on my coworker tomorrow... going to point the shell out and act all sad, and say.. "look what happened to Rocky".. :tears:

Well - One Month!

What a ride I've been on. Here's what has happened so far. For all who don't know - not much goes smoothly with me..

Got me some nice Zoas, Mushroom & a Starfish. On Wednesday - it seemed better to take my tank home, since it was starting to cause a distraction at work. (And I was tired of driving to work on the weekend)

Then I had AC problems here at home, temp got up to 83 when I came home.... Got bags of ice in zip lock.. chilled it.. Next day same thing. The fans went out on me, got a new bigger fan.. didn't work to cool things down.. Finally, the landlord came and fix it... and finally moved the tank to a more permanent spot. (looks like it's going to be a nice set up)

Got a new camera (man is thing nice!) (http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=156964).

Here are a couple of shots, not the greatest.. (still learning).

Picture10.jpg

Picture11.jpg

The starfish is moving to his favorite 'basking' spot..

Picture16.jpg

Picture17.jpg

Picture18.jpg

Picture19.jpg

Ahhhhhhh!

When I first saw him there the first time.. he didn't move all day & I thought he died.

His name is "Free Willy".. Was thinking he was truly "Free" now.. When I turned on the moonlights later that night... he started to move.. Not so free (sigh)... Think I will rename him to just 'Willy'..

Today is a good day... Its one month old... Things are stable.. Everybody survived... I shouldn't have to do much more except to glue the frags down. I wanted to give them a good solid week of leaving them alone, before I did that.... Felt sorry for them - they've had a rough month.

Comments?

avalanche1201

Looking real good. I like the black sand...I've got a suggestion though.

I don't know how easy it is for you to move the tank around, but if you can move it fairly easy you could turn the pumps off etc for like 25min. and close off the top of the tank...tape it off and paint the back to hide the wires and stuff...

just a suggestion. I like it so far, keep it up

Archived