Cultivated Reef

Kuianai's 24g Aquapod

kuianai

Robin

Im using a dual aquatek clip on, but I'm running a 70w MH (and I'm in hotter than h*ll Arizona as well).

JBJ ATO about 80.00 shipped give or take. If into DIY there are a few places you can get parts for less, and there are threads here showing it. I like easy. I'm happy with JBJ.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I'm not a DIY person either so JBJ will be it. I'll let you know how the heat pans out. We haven't turned the air on yet, but might have to if it gets too bad. I'll wait before I start adding more stuff to the tank to make sure it's stable. How does your CUC handle the heat?

Last Wednesday my light came in the mail. I put it on this past Saturday and wish I made this choice in the first place. My heat issues are over so far. With the stock hood, my temps always ran 10 degrees above the ambient room temp. This means that I would have to keep my house temp between 68 -70 degrees just to keep the tank at the normal range which won't happen here. Now since I've been topless, my temps run aroound 3 degrees over the ambient room temp. I also tested my clip-on fan and it dropped the temp even more. All I can say now is.... IT"S TIME TO GO SHOPPING FOR CORAL!!! :happydance: I can't forget some pics. Here they are!

DSC00439.jpg

This is some of the coralling colors on a piece of rock

DSC00440.jpg

Here's some macroalgae that I will be picking off tomorrow during my wc

DSC00441.jpg

I'm diggin all this purple.

DSC00444.jpg

Oh, by the way, my nitrates finally dropped to 0!!!!!

Robin

Looks nice !!! Gotta luv that purple. Glad temps better now that your topless.

I moved my fans over as I got a skimmer (replaced one I was using in back chamber) and now no more fan noise. I will reseat my skimmer on the other compartment, its hanging over first one now, but will redo my aquascaping when I add new corals and rocks so hopefully fan will continue to stay quiet (after i again move it over, lol)

Even with the new hotter lights your temps better? That is so great. We hit 103 or so today outside, hoping my fans will allow me to avoid buying a chiller.

That's right, you got that CPR. Lemme know how you like it. When I had the hood, I was mainly gonna do zoas, rics and some kind of softie to add a little height to the aquascape. But now that I'm topless and can get what catches my eye (of course after researching) now I need to think about skimmers myselfl. The ATO will be first though. I kept thinking that the water in the display lowered when I was reading all the MH threads not knowing that it lowered in the back chambers. Y'all weren't kidding when you said that your pockets would continually be emptied in this hobby. I'm hoping I won't need to go the chiller route. We haven't hit summer temps yet and when that time comes I usually have the house temp set at around 75.

Robin

Robin

So far I'm loving it. HUGE critter it is though. Quiet, skimming happily and bubbling up the way (but not in the display). Just fussing with the cup to try to get dry skimmate but very happy with it. Just hoping I can move it to the pump chamber and that it will still fit (and still work, lol)

ATO is great, just gotta remember to check the bucket...no water in bucket, no water added to tank. LOL

Its been 79 in the house, am sure tank was 80+, nothing outwardly looks stressed. I need to get another thermometer in the tank as well, I don't like just going by one.

I'd like to add a clam down the road, next major purchase and probably last. I think I'm done with adding corals. Just need to redo the rockwork, get corals set and free up some of the sand bed and work on keeping parameters steady and stable and the tank cool for the summer (it was 103 outside today!!!!)

Ellen

I hope you can get your skimmer to work the way you want. That way when I get mine I can ask you how to make it work. lol I am gonna look into the diy ATO's first before I consider the JBJ. I'm still not much of a diy person but I wanna keep my money for some frags right now. Plus the price of that light was enough big spending for the month. I here ya on those clams though. They come in some beautiful colors.

The price diff for the DIY parts to me, weren't that much cheaper. Forgot the 2 places that were recommended but was more of a hassle than i wanted to deal with. Not only do I like easy, I NEED easy. lol

I was looking for either the aqua c remora or the bak pak....found what I thought was a deal on the bakpak so went with it, its not the reef one but i'm running it w/o the blue stuff, seems to work. I wanted one I knew would work ok the way the AP is set up chamber wise. $50 plus shipping was in my price range.

I hear ya on the light....I've just spent a bunch on some rocks, corals, pepp shrimp & clownfish. One big coral on rock to go and thats it. I'm done. LOL

That's right, you got that CPR. Lemme know how you like it. When I had the hood, I was mainly gonna do zoas, rics and some kind of softie to add a little height to the aquascape. But now that I'm topless and can get what catches my eye (of course after researching) now I need to think about skimmers myselfl. The ATO will be first though. I kept thinking that the water in the display lowered when I was reading all the MH threads not knowing that it lowered in the back chambers. Y'all weren't kidding when you said that your pockets would continually be emptied in this hobby. I'm hoping I won't need to go the chiller route. We haven't hit summer temps yet and when that time comes I usually have the house temp set at around 75.

Robin

Tank is looking great. I love your new light. My 39g is topless and even with the MH light it runs cooler than my 12g with the enclosed hood. I just started using the clip on fan that came with my tank and I am having no problem keeping my temps between 79-81.5. I am in desperate need of an ATO. I lose about 1/2 to 3/4 a gallon every day to evaporation. That is the next piece of equipemen on my list.

Can't wait to see your tank with corals. :)

Robin

Skimmer is fantastic, huge, but working like a a charm. I just redid the aquascaping, whatta mess, and moved skimmer from rt side to left. Amazing amount of gunk. Its skimming wet but hey, its working. LOL

What did you decide to do on the top off? JBJ or DIY?

Reef

The ATO is wonderful (just remember to refill your bucket!) ...the MH and open top are killers. I love the fans, cools things off and since I got the skimmer and had to re adjust the fans on the back wall, the fan noise has dropped enormously. Skimmer I hear but doesn't sound like a jet landing in my living room. I got the JBJ ATO unit and a 5g HD bucket with lid for under my stand.

Hey Ellen & Ellen!! lol

Y'all ladies must have known that I was about to make an update.

Reef, thanks alot! I'm loving the light also and to me it looks alot better than having the lid on it. It's a trip how much lower my tank temps have been with the open top. My temps now stay between 78-81 with the fans off and stay around 77-78 with them on. Evaporation isn't that bad with the fans off (like 1/2 gal) but nuts with them on (an easy gallon).

Air, I'm with Reef when she says that the ATO is our necessary next purchase. Thanks for giving me that info about it. I decided to do the JBJ. Easier IS better. I'll be getting it together in about 2 weeks and I may have more questions for you if that's cool.

So Sunday I made it to a LFS and finally got my first frag. It's tiny as heck, but I love it. Here's the pics.

DSC00458.jpg

DSC00459.jpg

DSC00461.jpg

Now I need Sushi's frag rack. That's another thing to order. lol

Robin

Hey Ellen & Ellen!! lol

Y'all ladies must have known that I was about to make an updayte.

Reef, thanks alot! I'm loving the light also and to me it looks alot better than having the lid on it. It's a trip how much lower my tank temps have been with the open top. My temps now stay between 78-81 with the fans off and stay around 77-78 with them on. Evaporation isn't that bad with the fans off (like 1/2 gal) but nuts with them on (an easy gallon).

Air, I'm with Reef when she says that the ATO is our necessary next purchase. Thanks for giving me that info about it. I decided to do the JBJ. Easier IS better. I'll be getting it together in about 2 weeks and I may have more questions for you if that's cool.

LOL, I don't run into many Ellen's. It is an old family name.

I like your cute little zoa frag. I got some green ones for my 39g. I really need to update with photos, but I have been so busy lately.

I have never used an ATO before so I know I am going to purchase the already to go system. I am topping off twice a day right now and I know it will be much more stable to have the ATO.

We will have to bug Ellen when we are ready to set ours up. :D

JBJ ATO=super simple idiot proof, seriously

Not a lotta parts, my sorta thing, no real assembly either.

One sensor end you plug into the Box for sensor #1 (the booklets great) and I hang the Box on the bucket (clip goes into the back). I think #1 goes into tank, I used one clip on do dad and the sensor is clipped on the highest spot. Sensor 2 (I believe it is) goes into your bucket, I used a few clip on pieces they supplied and its about 2" over my pump. I got a MJ1200 as I needed the height to reach from floor to tank.

Then you plug sensor 2 cord into the Box. Plug you pump into the Box. Fill bucket with RO. Put tubing on end of pump and figure out how much you need to get to tank. I went to ACE hardware and for about 75c or 99c I picked up I think its called a 90 degree adaptor (thingmajig). Stuck one end of tubing into it and had the other end perched over the tanks lip (twisty tied to my skimmer part so it won't fall over and onto floor thereby flooding things). I will cable tie it later, just wanted to make sure it worked before I made it permanent. I have the water going into the back chamber on the pumps side. The sensor (#1) I have in the first (filter) chamber. Just decide which model you want to use and make sure the switch is set for that one. Then plug the Box into your power cord. Some folks have it on a timer to go on around 4 times a day, thereby preventing sticks and floods etc. I think they have it go on for a few minutes each time. I bought a multi timer at Walmart but haven't used it yet.

Thats about the gist of the thingie. You will have spare parts left, lol. I didnt use any suction cups.

Sushi's frag rack, thats Daniels right? I got one, the small, probably shouldda gone for the medium, sigh. Also got the magnetic feeder clip. Word to the wise, those magnets are strong, be careful of your finger skin. Another fun toy to blow cash on is Jerome's Nimble magnets. I got the super in clear.

The Good and Bad Hitchikers

I saw one bristleworm as I was adding the rock in. I also saw another worm that crawled out of the rock and died. I'm sure there's many more. I do have the usual pods however, this hitchiker put a smile to my face. It's some kind of bivalve that I watched squeeze out of a rock and by the next morning it was on the sand bed.

DSC00370.jpg

Now for the bad hitchiker. I found one aiptasia. My Joes Juice arrives tomorrow and I can't wait to get this thing out of my tank. I'm praying this is the only one.

DSC00364.jpg

Wow nice tank.... Felt bad about the aiptasia.

Question, I just started my Aquapod 24 and my pictures are tiny compared to the ones you posted. What size do you condense your pics to?

Thanks Featherduster and Reef. You know I haven't paid attention to how much coralline has grown on the rocks. I've been staring at them every single day for hours too! Feather, after you mentioned it I looked at my first FTS and was amazed at the difference. There's even some growing on one of the rocks on the side of the tank.

I can't wait to get the Sunpod. It's supposed to come in tomorrow. Y'all just don't know how excited I am. To think I can now explore the possibilites of hob refugiums, ato's, skimmers and many other things. I need to save up some more money! :lol: Plus I get to see this shimmer so many here have talked about.

Robin

Love the purple it really makes your tank. Did you buy your sunpod online if so was it drF&S. I am confused if I should get a chiller now or the light. Rats, every time I read someone's post I change my mind again LOL

Hi Laura! Thanks for the compliments!

The aiptasia was easy to get rid of since there was nothing else in the tank and it was the only one. I took out the rock it was attached to, put it in a container with some tank water and waited for it to come out. Then I hit it with some Joe's Juice. I also waited another hour to see if it would come back out, rinsed with RO/DI and placed the rock back in.

The sunpod I did get online but from Premium Aquatics. I'm in their 2 day ground range and was able to get it quicker. My temps were going crazy with the lid on and I needed to get that solved quickly. Now my temps are more manageable with the lid off however, the water is evaporating alot quicker which is why I'm now looking into getting an auto topoff system installed. I'm trying to avoid going the chiller route at the moment. Once we turn on the air conditioner, I'll be able to control the ambient room temperature alot better and will go from there.

I use photobucket for my photos and set the size at 640x480.

Your not the only one who kept changing their mind. I did the same thing before I got this tank. I wanted open top, then I didn't, then i did again but ended up buying the stock lighting. All I can offer you is to continue to research like you are doing then make a decision. With chillers, look into how you are going to hook it up and if you need to purchase anything additional. With a sunpod, unless you don't mind adding about a gallon of freshwater to your tank daily, you will also need an ATO.

Robin

One sensor end you plug into the Box for sensor #1 (the booklets great) and I hang the Box on the bucket (clip goes into the back). I think #1 goes into tank, I used one clip on do dad and the sensor is clipped on the highest spot. Sensor 2 (I believe it is) goes into your bucket, I used a few clip on pieces they supplied and its about 2" over my pump. I got a MJ1200 as I needed the height to reach from floor to tank.

Then you plug sensor 2 cord into the Box. Plug you pump into the Box. Fill bucket with RO. Put tubing on end of pump and figure out how much you need to get to tank. I went to ACE hardware and for about 75c or 99c I picked up I think its called a 90 degree adaptor (thingmajig). Stuck one end of tubing into it and had the other end perched over the tanks lip (twisty tied to my skimmer part so it won't fall over and onto floor thereby flooding things). I will cable tie it later, just wanted to make sure it worked before I made it permanent. I have the water going into the back chamber on the pumps side. The sensor (#1) I have in the first (filter) chamber. Just decide which model you want to use and make sure the switch is set for that one. Then plug the Box into your power cord. Some folks have it on a timer to go on around 4 times a day, thereby preventing sticks and floods etc. I think they have it go on for a few minutes each time. I bought a multi timer at Walmart but haven't used it yet.

Thats about the gist of the thingie. You will have spare parts left, lol. I didnt use any suction cups.

Sushi's frag rack, thats Daniels right? I got one, the small, probably shouldda gone for the medium, sigh. Also got the magnetic feeder clip. Word to the wise, those magnets are strong, be careful of your finger skin. Another fun toy to blow cash on is Jerome's Nimble magnets. I got the super in clear.

Wow, now this is what I'm talking about. Thanks for hooking us up with the info. I'm gonna order the JBJ on my next pay.

Sushi's frag rack is Daniel's. lol I couldn't think of his name at the time. I'm gonna get one of them and the feeder clip also. I was looking at the nimbles and they are cute. I'll get one of those down the line. The JBJ is first then the frag rack, feeder clip and nimble on the pay after that. I'm trying so hard to not completely empty my bank account all at one time. :P

LOL, I don't run into many Ellen's. It is an old family name.

I like your cute little zoa frag. I got some green ones for my 39g. I really need to update with photos, but I have been so busy lately.

I have never used an ATO before so I know I am going to purchase the already to go system. I am topping off twice a day right now and I know it will be much more stable to have the ATO.

We will have to bug Ellen when we are ready to set ours up. :D

Yes, you do need to update your 39g. You know we just love pictures around here!

Ain't that frag cute. I haven't figured out which rock I'm gonna attach it to yet. I just need to get some glue first. :)

Robin

Yer welcome! I was so phobic on getting something that I'd be too spacey to hook up. I did look at the parts a long time before figuring out what went where. I am sure the other ATOs are about the same hook up wise as well. I did wish it was cheaper. Wish this whole hobby was.

I thought the racks would look bigger /take up more room in the tank then they do. I believe both sm and med are priced the same, so yeppers, am kicking self in the hind end now for not going a bit larger. Live and learn. If you buy med and you want small, lets swap, lol.

I wish the back of the Nimble was smaller (less thick) but I guess would be harder to handle. My bank account went south early and is still down there.

I promised myself not to let my account get under a certain amount. It's so hard to stick to that though when you want to get alot more stuff in the tank.

We can definately trade. I'll order the medium in a couple of pays. You have way more corals than I do and I know you could use the extra room so that won't be a problem at all. I'll let you know when I get it.

If you do, lemme know. Mine has stabilizers on it. I think its about 2" longer, rest of dimensions the same.

I hear ya on the account, but if you were unlucky like I was, and either lost a filling or chipped a tooth (not sure yet, have to get appt with dentist), savings goes out the door.

Thanks for the detailed instructions!!! I am going to save this because I know I will need it. I completed my first DIY project tonight. I copied Robin's egg crate mod and made a filter basket to make changing the media much easier. No more sticking my arm down the chamber trying to retrieve my bag of chemi pure. :D

• 2 weeks later...

New Additions

Today I picked up a feather duster with a brown and white crown, one head frogspawn and a zoa/paly rock. At least I think they are palys. I couldn't capture all the colors on that rock. Here are the pics along with a FTS.

DSC00503.jpg

DSC00493.jpg

DSC00494.jpg

DSC00497.jpg

DSC00499.jpg

DSC00502.jpg

You lied....your camera's great. Look how clear your pics are.....grrrrr. Mine come out all fuzzy (even when I shut power down in tank).

Your new stuff looks cool, love that zoa rock, and the frogspawns a cutie.

I love your rock formation...whats that green stuff on the rock though?

Girl, compared to alot of pictures that people post here of their cool macro shots, this camera sucks. lol I really wish I could've captured the colors of some of those zoas though. Those green patches are algae that my cuc have yet to discover. They walk and crawl all around it but never close enough to know that it's there. I do have a tiny worm that lives within them and it keeps it manicured by snipping off the ends. It looks cool to me and as long as it doesn't spread, I'm gonna keep it there.

Yeah others post to die for pics but yours aren't bad, mine are furry. What settings are you using, seriously.....I can't figure out my Sony for the life of me. A lot of my more recent pics were the Kodak auto setting or macro

Archived